Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeToday at 10:47 pm by Lynton

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeToday at 11:59 am by SangueG

» South Coast PMR net report
radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeToday at 8:43 am by Razz229

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by John123

» New call sign request (Issued)
radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

Keywords
2023 ALINCO display list 9900 2022 power ss9900 president software callsign chart antenna sign 6900 yaesu Sirio Mobile supply Baofeng Mckinley lincoln frequency anytone call meter
QRZ Database

You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....

Go down 
+4
Alan - Mirror Man
tigersaw
Firetrap
Victor
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Empty
PostSubject: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2020 9:36 am

Hi all,

What am I on about now? 

Well, leaving aside delusions of grandeur and superiority complex issues of being the centre of the world.....

When you're on your radio you are pretty much at the centre of the world. Transmissions emanate from you, (or at least your radio and antenna so we'll leave the semantics aside), and received by you. Your radio location is key to what you do.

So how does that help us and again, what am I on about? Wink

Most of us are used to the typical view of the world as seen on your average 'world map' at school. 
You know the one, big flat wall map with the Americas to the left, the UK and Greenwich Meridian in the centre with China etc. on the right.

It's called a Mercator projection map -

Wikipedia - Mercator Projection map

For radio, this map is pretty inaccurate. It looks like America is East of us, China is West of us and distances are skewed or distorted. 

There is a much better representation of the world, namely the Azimuthal equidistant projection map -

Wikipedia - Azimuth Projection map

With this map, compass direction is more accurate and so are the distances especially when this map is centred on your location.

You can make your own Azimuth projection map using your location at the following link -

NS6T.net Custom Azimuth map

Enter your location, (if you're not sure it will take major city locations such as London etc.), and a reasonable distance, let's say 8000km.
(Use longer distances if you want to include South America or Australia in that map).

Now you have a map centred on your location and you'll notice some things....

In the UK the USA is actually North West of us and a "as the crow flies" line passes pretty much over the Arctic. 
The rest of the world looks pretty 'weird' compared to a 'normal' map as well and this helps us with our radio.

All the distances from you are now accurate and compass direction is a lot more useful. 
(If you had a house at the North Pole all four walls would be South pointing!!)

So how does that help?

For typical CB transmissions a normal UK map is such a small portion of the world that it's accurate enough. In fact even taking sporadic-E propogation where we can reach the European continent a typical map of Europe would suffice. 
If using other bands and frequencies where longer DX is possible, (hi to all you Hams), then the Azimuth projection map comes into its own.
(For CB this will hold true when long distance DX becomes possible!)

If you have a beam antenna you now know which way to point it. If you have a horizontal dipole for DX you can string it North East to South West to get the USA in one direction and Europe in the other, (assuming you're in the UK). You also can now see more accurately how far away somewhere actually is.

All good stuff I'm sure you'll agree.

So there you go, when you're on your radio you really ARE the centre of the world Wink

I hope at least some of you might find this posting useful or educational and hence why it is posted in the 'Information and Guides' section of Charlie Tango.

All the best,
Victor

This posting is placed in the spirit of helping. I have limited resources so no matter how much I would like to donate to Charlie Tango or purchase raffle tickets etc. I cannot. I can only give what resources I have. Whether that be some wit, comedy, info, welcomes or help, it's the best I can do to give thanks to the Charlie Tango group, it's members, admins and moderators.

I'm sure that for many this information is 'old hat' or well known and so maybe useless to them. Just remember that it may not be so for others. 

Best wishes to all.

Firetrap, NUBSTER, GaryWilson, Templar, glenn dog, Markone, Cozzmik and like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Firetrap
CT Directors
CT Directors
Firetrap

Call Sign : 26CT100
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Emperor Shogun, Delta 318 Export, TYT380, Albrecht 2990AFS, SS3900

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 2:56 pm

Great Post Victor 👍

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.charlietango.co.uk
tigersaw
tigersaw

Call Sign : 163-CT-256 GW6RRL
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Llanwrtyd Wells Powys
Equipment Used : CRT7900, FT891, FT818, Pro3

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 3:26 pm

Good info and not well appreciated.

I remember when the Pan-Am came down over Lockerbie, even the news orgs were questioning why it was over Scotland when it was heading to the USA!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 3:41 pm

Good stuff, so now i know to point myself North East to talk to my buddies in China 🛰radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Screen11
radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Screen12
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Lee,

Cheers mate Smile Just trying to put what I can into Charlie Tango.

----------

Dave,

I agree, I think too many are used to that "Map of The World" Mercator view rather than a good old fashioned Globe view. 
Do they even have globes in todays educational establishments? Wink

Thanks.

----------

Hi Pat,

Cheers for posting the map images as examples, really useful.
Ha! Very Happy Yeah, China, if only eh? Wink
(I'm chuffed to bits I broke into Europe on the CB!)

Cheers mate.

----------

Thanks all for the feedback, appreciate it. Just an old fart trying to be helpful if not, then at least half interesting Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 4:17 pm

They driving around with 9 foot whip's on the back of 4x4s there for playing in Gobi dessert so I'm expecting them to be hitting the skip anytime soon...😋
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 6:54 am

Thank you very much for this, I used to have one made up of photocopies pinned to my shack wall but had been unable to find anything similar this time around although It didn't help I had no idea of what it was called either.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 353
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 7:54 am

Thank you Victor, another excellent contribution to the forum, keep up the great work buddy!  Very Happy

73's Gary.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 7:55 am

Cheers Alan, glad you found it useful.
(If one person had found it useful I'd have been chuffed!)

You probably figured out already that on that site you can make a pdf output as big as a poster. Then with suitable software, (usually free), you can output to an ordinary A4 printer and stick the sheets together. Or failing that, save to a USB stick and pop down the local copy shop who can print poster size.

Hee! Very Happy Yeah, I get that a lot mate, "Now if only I can remember what that damn thing was called!"  Wink

All the best,
Victor

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 7:57 am

Hiya Gary,

Cheers mate, really appreciated.

You guys do the hard work keeping it all together so it's nice if I can add a little myself Smile

All the best to you and family,
Victor

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 8:22 am

I was able to find a site that gave me my location reference or close enough at least, I have the PDF file stored and already have printed a couple out in colour and B&W to see what they look like.(B&W appears more legible)

I only have an A4 printer but will look into taking the PDF into a printers or photo place as it would be far better in A3 or A2 on some heavier weight, glossy paper would be nice for the wall!

The last one I had was a photocopy of something from one of the old amateur magazine's from the 70's or 80's time period, I was looking for these quite recently as I was trying to explain it to a friend but after trying all sorts of descriptions in the search bar I came back empty handed.

Thanks again

Alan

Last edited by Alan - Mirror Man on Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 9:20 am

Nice one Alan.

Wouldn't that map look gorgeous on a shack wall! Smile

I might just be tempted to do that myself as I've snaffled the box room, ahem "office", (thanks to my missus), as my shack.

You'll have to let us know how it works out.

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
tigersaw
tigersaw

Call Sign : 163-CT-256 GW6RRL
QTH or Location : Llanwrtyd Wells Powys
Equipment Used : CRT7900, FT891, FT818, Pro3

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 9:47 am

I remember back in the 70's you could get the 'radio amateurs great circle dx map of the world' for a fiver, it was huge, came in a tube and printed on a cloth type material.
Probably cost £50 these days.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 11:07 am

Hi Dave,

Yeah, I remember them well, as common as a world globe back in the day.
Ha, yeah £50, or much more! Of course there's the "we don't get much call for them, not worth doing" nonsense Wink

Mind you, a pin and string on a Mercator map of your DX to the USA looks much longer than it does on an Azimuthal map Very Happy

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2020 10:18 pm

Great post, Victor.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2020 5:40 am

Hi Martin,

I haven't seen a map like that in a while mate Smile
You don't get to see maps with the Pacific line centralised rather than the Atlantic, but perhaps that's common in other parts of the world.

Love old maps! As you say, the countries are different and it's fascinating seeing them again.
The world changes more than we think Wink

Cheers for that share Martin. Love it!

All the best.
Victor
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2020 5:41 am

Hi John,

Cheers mate, appreciate it.

Just glad a few people got something from it Smile

73s
Victor

Back to top Go down
Rjbingham
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 14-CT-014 F5VLY
QTH or Location : Toulouse

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 6:52 pm

Victor wrote:

Love old maps! As you say, the countries are different and it's fascinating seeing them again.
The world changes more than we think Wink

All the best.
Victor
Victor,
remember listening to a guy on my FT707S and half wave end fed cheap vertical when i first got my GW4... license in Upper Volta........(he was in Africa........not me) Try finding that one on a map now.

Blow me they went and changed the name of the place years later, crying shame !!

Regards Ady
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....   radio - You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You ARE the centre of the world - or at least your radio is.....
Page 1 of 1