Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» South Coast PMR net report
Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeToday at 9:23 am by Razz229

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

» Hello everyone
Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:22 am by M0TEC

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:08 pm by John H

» Call sign request
Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:42 pm by nmasterson

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

» Replacement K-PO DX5000 Microphone
Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by Lynton

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:34 pm by GaryWilson

» RE:TC call sign
Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:04 pm by Nick100

Keywords
power Mobile anytone lincoln ss9900 ALINCO 9900 2023 display Sirio chart antenna 2022 sign yaesu supply president 6900 meter frequency Baofeng call Mckinley software callsign list
QRZ Database

Big burners.? Why?

Go down 
+13
Cozzmik
stephen Gunrunner
BoB4jjjj
gmham
saltire
The Doctor
Alan - Mirror Man
Alan Pilot
Mitch
Red Fox
Victor
NUBSTER
Tristar
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 10:26 am

Hll👋🏻
I don’t wish to offend anyone or step on people’s toes, but why do some people use such high power which inevitably makes it impossible for people close by to be unable to use the channels.?

I’m not talking about 10 or 20 watts but 200 watts to 3 kilowatts?

When this is on the uk40 for example it wipes the full 40 channels out for all the other local users!

affraid Sadly this is happening close by to me and like other things in life once one or two people start others follow!

Anyway just brought it up as a subject for those that use power to think about how and when as there are consequences for others too!

John

Victor, TJS 26CT3029 and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 12:03 pm

Well said Martin and some damn good points mate! Smile

Sadly John this is not just limited to the CB bands.

I have spent an eternity struggling to listen to 80m whenever the local Ham club runs their nets! They burn the maximum power then gleefully give each other 5/9 reports via Hackgreen SDR?!?!?!  Shocked Complete nonsense.

Luckily with 'lockdown' this hasn't been happening recently. Never have I heard so many QRP stations, 10W M7's, (new hams), and distant stations before! Flipping wonderful! Smile

I have no problem with people running power when used properly, it can often gain that difficult DX for the log. On standard UK FM it makes no sense at all when the buggers are talking to their local mates. Martin said it well with 'anchors' Wink Very Happy

They'd probably all do much better getting their antennas in check, it's only then that more power makes sense. No point being able to transmit further than you can hear! 

I must admit that I have a weird perversion of when making a DX contact I turn my power down to as low as possible whilst still making a copy. Big power to get over the pileups and low power for the QSO. Love it.

But often there's better ways and again back to the antenna point. I can hear 3 division stations, (Brazil), even on my bits of wire in the loft but can't quite get back to them. I could push more power and hope for the best or I can run a beam. The beam I'm currently constructing has an average gain of 6dB which would give me the same effect of running 4 times the power. All of that pointed in their direction instead of every which way! I'll probable hear them much better too! Smile

Knowledge is the key here, but unfortunately there are plenty of 'numpties' and narcissists.......

All the best,
Victor

NUBSTER, glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 12:31 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. 

At the moment I’m not too badly effected because they are at work during the day when I’m on the air. 
But as I say. It’s once one got a 100watt burn they all followed suit. Then they bought ham radios which also had extra power. 

Now it’s 1kw and 3kw burners. As you say it would be better that they started with their antenna set up and audio. 

I hear the buzz of the burners going up in power. Then one blows their light circuits out using the extra power. Madness!

Some of my mates can only go on a night so they seem to be getting the worst of the situation. 

Just going to keep my fingers crossed 🤞

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 12:44 pm

John,

Lets go back about 30 / 40 years and take a lesson from our younger selves and we didn't know any better.

Nail in the coax comes to mind - Mwahahahahahahah...!!!!!!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Oh if it was only that simple eh!!!

73's graeme

Last edited by Red Fox on Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 3:08 pm

I did like it Martin 👍

You've got to like an expletive replacement word Wink

"Anchors, large battleship ones!" is gonna stay with me for some time!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Graeme, pass me the Tena will you mate...
lol!

NUBSTER, glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Leicester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 3:23 pm

Here's a different take on it. Home base stations in the city (Leicester) and surrounds seem to be plagued with 9+ of QRM, PLT's, LED lights, grow lamps (for you know what) etc. and even I have to use 100 watts to speak to someone 3 miles away else they can't hear me over the noise, any less power and I'm not heard at all. I'm sure it's the same in other towns and cities too.

It's a shame tbh, but the amount of radio noise about these days has all but killed two way radio for a lot of people, HF is also greatly affected, so even licenced users don't fare any better unless we use higher frequencies, but I've got a problem on 6m so it's 2m and above usually. But not everyone we talk to has a ticket, so it's back on 27 and turn up the juice, put some fire up the wire so we can be heard above the rubbish.

Also, there's not a lot of folks on around here, and we all usually talk to each other anyway, so channel splatter isn't an issue. I don't think anyone has more than a kilowatt but at least a hundred is needed, fifty isn't enough. We didn't have this problem in the olden days, but since switch mode power supplies were invented, and put in everything electrical, it's got a thousand times worse.

Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 5:49 pm

I know what you mean Martin,

I do remember the days when we could get away with things like that, not nowadays though.

The great thing about these forums is the memories you often recall, especially the funny stuff you had forgotten about but bring a smile back to your face when remembered.

My mates and I sometimes took it upon ourselves to track down the usual idiots that thought they were GOD, often hiding behind the mic and saying what they wanted, when they wanted thinking that nobody would ever find them…. Yes, you’re right, we were also young and stupid as well and never thought about the consequences, but back in the day, the worst you would get was a hiding from somebody that was bigger and uglier than you  Razz
The odd pin in the coax often sorted them out and they thought twice about trying it again.

One that does spring to mind was a really obnoxious youngster, probably 12-14 year old that thought he was untouchable, often causing mayhem, playing music,for hours on end, keying over the top of folk and cursing and swearing at anyone who spoke to him.

Even back then, I liked to experiment and I decided to make myself a home-brew tracker of a mag-mounted 2 ft dial-a-match antenna with an old metal coat rail the type normally found in a wardrobe that you hang your coat-hangers on, slightly opened up along its full length and slid over the entire length of the whip with some tinfoil on the end. Yes believe it or not it worked great for direction finding with the use of the RF Gain and a swing needle meter – Oh those were the days.

It took about 20 mins to track the little beggar down and spot his DV27 on the gutter at the back of his house – Now that we had found him, we asked him nicely to stop his nonsense, his reply would have made us plenty of cash if we had a swear box on here.

As I was speaking to him, one of my mates sneaked through the back garden and climbed the cast Iron drain pipe, grabbed his DV27 and jumped back down to the grass.
I can still hear the little beggar yet as he screamed “mummy someone is stealing my CB” when his rig shot across the room followed by silence as I’m guessing his mike followed suit.

Just our luck  Shocked 
His dad who looked like an extra from the wrestling on ITV came running out and we thought, OH Sh!t, we’re gonna get it now….. But when we explained what his son had been doing for the last few weeks, he simply said “Ok boys, let me sort it” and went inside. 

Never heard from the little beggar again... Now that was a night I’ll never forget.  Razz

Tena Time for me as well Victor  lol!

glenn dog, Victor, 43CT016, Alan - Mirror Man, Telstar, leno51 and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 7:41 pm

Oh God, now I'm reminiscing......

Brilliant story BTW Graeme. Definitely Tena time! Very Happy

We had a royal PITA breaker in the area, king of the hill self centred type.
Rather than anything confrontational it was for the more electronically minded a much simpler solution.....

Colpitts oscillator centred on 27MHz, zener diode for a noise source, made to sweep from 26MHz to 28MHz. All housed in a tic-tac sized box with battery and 9 foot of thin enamelled wire as an antenna. 

Instant short ranged RF woodpecker!!!! Very Happy

I hid it in the undergrowth of his property knowing that even though it transmitted a couple of milliwatts it would wipe out his reception for days on end. Flipping worked too!

I have never laughed so hard as I did at this guy trying to get radio reports and screaming out how he couldn't hear anyone because of this mysterious +30 'chicking' noise!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
lol!

As far as I know, he sold up as we never heard from him again....

Dirty, dirty, evil bugger I was! Very Happy

Of course I'm much more mature about such things now Wink

NUBSTER, glenn dog, 43CT016, Alan - Mirror Man, Telstar and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 8:48 pm

Oh Victor,

You are evil.. but I like it  Razz Razz

John,

I think you have stumbled on a solution to your problem.

It's called ""VICTOR"" the EVIL ONE Mauhahahahahaha   Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Get your soldering iron out victor, I'm sure John would love a gadget like that  Wink

glenn dog, Victor, Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 9:32 pm

Ha, Ha, Ha!! Very Happy

I was of course, much younger and naive to legalities back then Wink

Heck, I need three pairs of glasses to get on with normal household stuff nowadays! My once dextrous fingers are reduced to bear paws Sad

Still, was nice reminiscing and I've been chuckling on the sofa most of the evening!

glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 11:00 am

Yup 👍 

That’s the solution alright. 

SEND IN THE VICTOR!!

😂😂😂

glenn dog, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 12:42 pm

Just looking through this thread and noticed the "nail in the coax" lol.
I remember it well when this burner competition started many many years ago.
What we did was we used a pin and cut the the head and the other end off made it very hard to find.
We did it to the same to guys 2 or 3 times before they got the message.
Happy days.

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 3:57 pm

This thread certainly brings back some memories I remember one young guy from the C.B. had a kilowatt burner for a time it had a bank of 5 or 6 valves his favourite was keying on 19 with his favourite music playing although that didn't last long thinking back.
One of the lads had a directional antenna with a little meter we tracked an especially obnoxious youth down who was very bold until we pulled up outside of his mum's house at which point he was just about reduced to tears, begging forgiveness and promising never to do so again, which was very acceptable to us.

The pin through the coax was one I have heard of many times although somebody else suggested just cut a 6-foot length from it, it's not something I have had much trouble with personally other than some bedroom DJ on CH19 back in the '80s and I have had no real experience of it since returning to the airwaves. 

It was only when the skip carried people in on 19 from further afield that I even heard a bucketmouth on CH19 if you burn your bridges with the few operators where I live you are going to have a very lonely time of it indeed, all the idiots seem to have moved to the internet I am pleased to say and it has a block feature but it has certainly brought back some memories of the good old days!

glenn dog, Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
The Doctor
Contributor
Contributor
The Doctor

Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Hertfordshire
Equipment Used : Uniden

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 5:08 pm

We had a whistler on the South Coast net last night.
Unfortunately someone acknowledged it by asking them to stop, at which point it doubled up.
Best is to outright ignore and keep talking. They always stop as it is the irritation and subsequent retorts that they are looking for.

I guess if you wanted to knock them off air from a distance, a dirty homebrew spark-gap transmitter with a beam attached would do.
Aim. Fire.

Back to top Go down
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North east scotland.
Equipment Used : Stryker 955/Gainmaster .AnyTone778V/U(crap dont buy one!), icom 7300.

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 8:32 pm

Somehow  i dont  think there are many cber's running 1kw and certainly not 3kw  Most of the top of the range amps cost around 3K PLUS acoms ect and aint that easy to modify to work on 11 mtrs .Any folks running huge power will be Hams and a lot of them will not be licenced to do so 400watts is the legal uk limit unless you have a special licence .I know lots of cber;s use 200-300 watts  but mostly for dx but there are exceptions .Another thing most cb antennas cant handle big power .

NUBSTER and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 11:10 pm

There are exceptions as you point out Martin.

Sadly I've known several Hams that run huge amps, openly boast about it and quite often known to pop on the 27MHz band to obliterate local CB breakers. Happened back in the day, still happens now. Many will deny it defending the 'honour' of licenced radio users, but licenced users or not, there are always bad eggs. Old valve amps whether designed for Amateur use or otherwise turn up on the second hand market and often not as difficult to modify as made out. I know of one CBer running an old FT2100, that's an easy 1.2kW peak and relatively inexpensive to buy.

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 12:29 am

H 👍
Thanks for all the replies. 

There are two breakers not far from me. 
One with 1kw and the other as the crow flies at 22 miles with a 3 kw burner. He can put a plus 30 on my rig and blank 4 channel either way,!

Others near here have ham rigs or 100w but most use extra power too. 

Makes my little 4watts and 12 seem poor but if you can’t hear anything because of these guys me adding power would not help anyway.

I’ll keep plodding on. 
Guy blew the electric in hs house the other day so I can hope next time it’ll be his radio. 

Tonight I lost all 40uk again so stopped altogether. 🤷‍�

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North east scotland.
Equipment Used : Stryker 955/Gainmaster .AnyTone778V/U(crap dont buy one!), icom 7300.

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 1:37 am

Mad George from Glasgow openly showed off his 1kw Yeasu  amp on youtube  around 5 years ago along with his£ 10k 9000dxmp.But he was an exception to the rule in more ways than one !!!!!!.The top of the range Acom does 2kw max and at 5.5grand you would have to be a keen dx'r on 11 mtrs to drop that kinda cash .As for a 3kw well ive yet to find one sold in the uk from a commercial compay  i know the yanks build 8-10 pill amps  for cb bragging rights maybe this bloke imported one from the usa?, just check out bbi on youtube he is the boy when it comes to big amps .
If you live out in the sticks then by all means run big power if you can afford it !!  no harm done but not in the town you are asking for a chap on the door for messing up the streets routers ect ect .

Last edited by saltire on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

glenn dog and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 7:22 am

Tristar
The legality works for both cb and ham.
If i had a legal cb setup and a ham down the road was running 3kw making it that i had to just switch off i know who i would call and it wouldn't be gostbusters.

NUBSTER, glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man and saltire like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Big burners.? Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big burners.? Why?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next