Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» I moved to new city (Actioned)
Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeToday at 12:39 pm by Dutchie19

» Hello everyone
Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeToday at 12:20 pm by John123

» Call sign request
Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeToday at 12:18 pm by John123

» RE:TC call sign
Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeToday at 12:12 pm by John123

» South Coast PMR net report
Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeToday at 9:23 am by Razz229

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:08 pm by John H

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

» Replacement K-PO DX5000 Microphone
Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by Lynton

Keywords
list callsign frequency 2022 call anytone chart Mobile 9900 lincoln display software Baofeng power meter Sirio Mckinley ss9900 supply president yaesu ALINCO 6900 2023 antenna sign
QRZ Database

Another dim question on burners

Go down 
+6
Sukivit
joinercb
Cozzmik
Pagan
Victor
SeanofNorthwich
10 posters
AuthorMessage
SeanofNorthwich

Call Sign : 26-CT-3446
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Northwich Cheshire
Equipment Used : CRT6900 and a good old Sirio Tornado

Another dim question on burners Empty
PostSubject: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2020 9:03 pm

So my KL203P arrived this afternoon and is now in line and powered up. I did my youtube research and thus cranked the power down to 2w output from the 6900 so as not to stress/overheat the burner.

But herein lies a question. I got the little burner to help on those occasions when you need a little boost especially recently with 555 coming alive but for local work I don't want the burner on and instead want to crank up the 6900.

If the burner is switched off but still in line, can I put the increased radio power through it or does the output power of the radio always need to be reduced regardless of the burner being on or off?

Any help on this gladly received

Thank you
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2020 11:11 pm

Hi Sean,

From the circuit diagram :- KL203P Schematic
It looks like the relays connect straight through when the unit is powered off so would be fine.

However, I wouldn't even trust myself to leave them inline without inadvertently switching them on whilst being set to higher power Wink

It's up to you really.

Remember, the only dim question is the question never asked Wink

Hope that helps,
Victor

Firetrap and Paddy like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 12:18 am

According to the instructions that come with this Amp you can input anything between 0.5 - 10 Watts in FM/AM mode and anything between 1 - 20 Watts in SSB mode. As long as you keep to these limits it should be fine. I usually use (input) about 5 Watts for FM and about 15 Watts for SSB. I've been using it for over a year with no ill effects and yes, you can keep it in-line and use your radio's full power (which is 40 Watts FM / 60 Watts SSB for my radio) when the Amp is switched off.....just remember to turn down your radio's power when using the Amp.

Paddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
SeanofNorthwich

Call Sign : 26-CT-3446
QTH or Location : Northwich Cheshire
Equipment Used : CRT6900 and a good old Sirio Tornado

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 6:30 am

Many thanks for the responses folks, really appreciate it.
Will actually try and key it up tonight and see what difference it makes to the North Staffs folks on 25
I did debate the "will i be disciplined enough" to remember to wind it down before switching it on and reckon I could be...... time will tell lol
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 7:52 am

Put up a sign in your shack/radio area reminding you to keep power low when the amp is on...I have a few signs reminding me about power output.

I have been using a kl203 for the last 5 years in my mobile and with 15w in it gives a steady 90w and has been a decent cheap amp.I did notice patch lead length can be important to stop rf with these..

Paddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
joinercb

Call Sign : 108-CT-261
QTH or Location : Lanarkshire
Equipment Used : crt ss6900, maycom em27

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Cozzmik wrote:
Put up a sign in your shack/radio area reminding you to keep power low when the amp is on...I have a few signs reminding me about power output.

I have been using a kl203 for the last 5 years in my mobile and with 15w in it gives a steady 90w and has been a decent cheap amp.I did notice patch lead length can be important to stop rf with these..

Is the patch lead better longer or shorter ?
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 6:11 pm

joinercb wrote:
Cozzmik wrote:

Is the patch lead better longer or shorter ?

There may be a set size and someone with far more knowledge will know the length needed but for me i did the suck it and see method and when my short (approx 12") patch lead caused issues i made a 24" one and it was fine.
Different shack set ups require different ways to stop RF as i have no idea what at your shack could be a issue.

You may get lucky and a standard size patch lead may work just fine..
Back to top Go down
joinercb

Call Sign : 108-CT-261
QTH or Location : Lanarkshire
Equipment Used : crt ss6900, maycom em27

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 6:48 pm

Thanks Cozzmik , I’m going to be setting one up shortly just trying to iron out any possible problems before i start , i never even thought that the length of the patch lead would make a difference , something to have a play about with and see what works best
Back to top Go down
Sukivit

Call Sign : 26-CT-3413
QTH or Location : Bedfordshire
Equipment Used : President mckinley silver rod 2TLT.presidentml 145 mag mount boafeng-uv5r

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi just got a kl203 to go mobile .i can't  go direct to the battery to power it up .could I use a small scooter battery?sorry if I'm in wrong  post.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2020 5:21 pm

joinercb wrote:
Thanks Cozzmik , I’m going to be setting one up shortly just trying to iron out any possible problems before i start , i never even thought that the length of the patch lead would make a difference ,

It shouldn't. If it does it is indicating your antenna is using the coax to make up for the lack of a RF ground at the antenna. Assuming you can't do much at the antenna the best you can do is choke off the coax at the shack end. To do that buy a FT240-61 toroid and wrap 8 turns of RG58 coax around it. A 1 metre long patch lead would do that, you'd plug it into the antenna side of the last thing in the chain from rig to antenna and you could get a SO239 to SO239 coupler to connect the other end of the patch lead to the coax coming from the antenna.

Paddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
leno51

Call Sign : 26-CT-3759
QTH or Location : London
Equipment Used : Crt 9900 , 30 amp psu , Hawkins 5/8

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2020 11:42 pm

What sort of power supply do you guys use to power the radio and amp at the same time ..? or use a cheaper separate one just for the burner ... What a Face
Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
QTH or Location : Leicester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 9:59 am

I'm only using 100W and I run the linear and radio off a 23 amp switch mode PSU with no problem. It depends on your setup how many amps you'll need, but better to go too high and have some spare than not enough and have the lights dim when you key up.

leno51 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 10:24 am

leno51 wrote:
What sort of power supply do you guys use to power the radio and amp at the same time ..? or use a cheaper separate one just for the burner ... What a Face

I use a 12V 22amp Tracer battery with my KL203P.

leno51 likes this post

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 2:18 pm

my self the kicker is to help your signal and to stop your radio getting hot and stressed the radio stays cool and if you run only radio , the radio will get very hot and stressed, I run my radio with a kicker radios cool and unstressed the kicker gets hot, now when they get very hot they drop watts and do crazy things so put a fan on the kicker it stays cool and runs right if you run a kicker on ssb check the mic gain as if it swing up say 20w good buy kicker , and make sure your swr is good my go box radio is a mass dx5000 low power version 12w fm am and ssb so I use the kicker but most of the times I run with no kicker and the power echo mic and it works fine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another dim question on burners   Another dim question on burners Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another dim question on burners
Page 1 of 1