Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeToday at 4:21 pm by Lynton

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeToday at 10:41 am by John123

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Information requested)
G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeToday at 10:31 am by John123

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION
G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeToday at 10:30 am by John123

» New callsing request
G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeToday at 10:28 am by John123

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John H

» New call sign request (Issued)
G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

» EU conditions have started
G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:18 pm by babis3g

Keywords
frequency power 6900 meter ss9900 software ALINCO supply Mobile Baofeng display yaesu 2022 list sign 9900 Mckinley antenna anytone president lincoln 2023 callsign call chart Sirio
QRZ Database

G5RV for multiband

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jape

Call Sign : 26-CT-1894
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Eastbourne
Equipment Used : AT66 Gainmaster

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 3:23 pm

As posted elsehere I'm just settig up my licenced station for the first tiime.

I have a G5RV halfwave i bought to use for my cb. The notes that came with it said it was cut for 11 metres and does not need a balun. Now I wnat to tempory use it for other bands.

I have a Kenwood 57011DG tranceiver with built in ATU. My question is: Do I now need a balun or will the ATU take care of everything?

Next Question;  Anyone know if a Sandpiper HF antenna is like to work? 

James
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 3:32 pm

Can't answer your question my self but found this if it's of any help to you (sone good links in it as well)...
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/g5rv-use-with-or-without-balun.165303/
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 4:20 pm

I have used the G5RV junior version for a while mainly for listening on various bands but it worked just fine on transmit with the ATU without a Balun but I found an Air choke or Ugly Balun reduced the noise floor somewhat.

https://www.qsl.net/on7dy/Documentation/All%20Band%20HF%20Air%20Core/Build%20an%20All%20Band%20HF%20Air%20Core.html

I have since switched to the ZS6BKW which is a full-size optimised version of the G5RV with slightly different dimensions so it resonates on several bands, I have fitted a 1 to 1 balun with this version of the wire dipole in a stealth installation that is getting me our surprisingly well I am pleased to say.

https://www.simplehamradioantennas.com/2018/11/how-to-build-zs6bkw-multiband-hf.html

73's 

Alan
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 4:47 pm

Hello James.

No a G5RV doesn't require a balun. If the one you have has been some how modified to be resonant on 11 meters then I would definitely consider replacing it with a normal G5RV. You could put it in situ and see what results you get with it. Perhaps get an antenna analyser on it to see what it looks like across all the amateur bands. 

Most internal ATU's will handle a small miss match but if it's a long way out you'll need a proper ATU. Better still pick the bands you want to use and build resonant antenna's for those you'll get the best performance possible and you won't require an ATU at all.

73's Gary.

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 5:20 pm

As Gary say's build your own and you get a big bonus with that way.
A smile from ear to ear when it works.

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2020 1:52 am

A G5RV isn't for 11m, so if it's been modified to do that, it isn't a G5RV any more, just a doublet (Ladder line fed).

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/g5rv/

However, a G5RV isn't really a great multiband dipole by today's standards, and needed an ATU anyway (and a pretty high ranging one on some bands too), so look at the ZS6BKW variant instead.

There's also a really good page on improving these too, depending on what bands you want.

http://www.w5dxp.com/ZS6BKW80/ZS6BKW80.HTM

GaryWilson, Alan - Mirror Man and Jape like this post

Back to top Go down
Jape

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2020 3:01 pm

My G5RV came from Nevda as I recll and was advertised speciically made for 11m which was all I was using. I already had a ganmaster but their is limited receptin in my area, where only Hiailsham and Hastings is all I can get on UK reception.

I will read more on the above Z56BKW as I think I need a longerr wire than this 10 feet version. Z56 is around 90 feet and my garden is 46ft by 30ft.

The guy I bought the radio fom was running an Antron which he demonstrated aross the bands and had some USA on 21,  Alas nothing on either of mine so far today aprt from UK 37.

I've only had the 570 a few hours so not depressed yet..... )

James

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2020 11:53 am

Jape wrote:
My G5RV came from Nevda as I recll and was advertised speciically made for 11m which was all I was using. 

James

Yeah, but it can’t be a G5RV...that is a very specific antenna, named after the callsign of it’s inventor, and it dictates a certain length of elements and specific length of twinlead 300R feedline.  Can’t remember the lenghts, but it is a little short of a 80m dipole in length, and designed primarily for 20m, IIRC.

So, they may have called it a G5RV, but it wasn’t. Very Happy

A single band dipole for 11m, fed with coax, would be appx 5.5m long - i.e. halfwave.  There is no need at all to try and match multiple bands, or make it a different length with matching sections if it’s to be a monoband antenna.

Out of interest, was it fed with open wire/ladderline, or coax?

Anyway, for an actual multiband antenna, also have a look at an EFHW.  Just another option depending on layout, etc.

Last edited by 43CT016 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Jape wrote:
My G5RV came from Nevda as I recll and was advertised speciically made for 11m which was all I was using. I already had a ganmaster but their is limited receptin in my area, where only Hiailsham and Hastings is all I can get on UK reception.

I will read more on the above Z56BKW as I think I need a longerr wire than this 10 feet version. Z56 is around 90 feet and my garden is 46ft by 30ft.

The guy I bought the radio fom was running an Antron which he demonstrated aross the bands and had some USA on 21,  Alas nothing on either of mine so far today aprt from UK 37.

I've only had the 570 a few hours so not depressed yet..... )

James

I have my ZS6BKW in the loft, it goes around it about 1.5X using plastic insulators, I took the time to tune it properly in situ and I made contacts in Russia and Canada in the past week.
A chap I speak to used to have his G5RV running along the top of his garden fence and he told me it did surprisingly well.
Unconventional installations can do a good job it seems, don't be put off by a small garden.

Jape likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jape

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2020 2:35 pm

No Ladderline came with it. It was pre- made thing in a packet. Two lenths of 5ft et copeer wire to an oval feed point with 259 connector.Lke this but shorter https://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/product/mfj-1779b/ = Just connects to my ct120 coax.

I wasn't planning to go beyond cb at the tme.

Are long wires oay for being bent rund corners ec. The longest run I cn gt is 40 feet - could double it back to the start point of course.

James

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2020 4:49 pm

Hello James that's just a bog standard dipole, not a G5RV at all. 

I would really consider making your own antenna, with a little research then I'm sure you could knock something up to get you started. 

Have a look at this product.  https://www.gwhip.co.uk/421-triband-antenna It's resonant on 10, 20, & 40 meters without a tuner. I've used this for the last couple of years because they're the bands I like the most. 

I've worked most of Europe, Africa, the middle east, Canada, the USA and plenty more with it so it does a reasonable job. Food for thought!!!

73's Gary.

Back to top Go down
Jape

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2020 5:59 pm

GaryWilson wrote:

I would really consider making your own antenna, with a little research then I'm sure you could knock something up to get you started. 

Have a look at this product.  https://www.gwhip.co.uk/421-triband-antenna It's resonant on 10, 20, & 40 meters without a tuner. I've used this for the last couple of years because they're the bands I like the most. 

I've worked most of Europe, Africa, the middle east, Canada, the USA and plenty more with it so it does a reasonable job. Food for thought!!!

73's Gary.
Hi Gary/Alan

I will give that tritband a try as it wil bE quite easy to intalland suits my garden and bungalow. Have you tired it on 80m ?

I also like Alan's Z56. Although it is bit too long for the garden and causes compications etc  - I do have a big loft and will try an install in there, but it's not gonna be that high.

Thanks for all the input on this. }

James

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2020 12:07 am

As a general rule of thumb, an antenna cut for a certain band won’t work at all well on a lower frequency band...so a 40m dipole is a no go on 80m, for example.  Now, you may get a good tuner to match it, but that does not mean it will radiate well!  

That’s why you’ll see trapped dipoles or fan dipoles to get 80 and 40 on the same wire, or other designs like loops and EFHW which (with matching transformers or baluns) do a better job on multiple bands.

Whilst it would be lovely to pick an antenna per job or per band, these days, we’re often concerned with what fits or what’s allowed, so it’s always a compromise.

Here, I have an 8010EFHW which gets me the main bands between 80 and 10 (Though I usually just use 40 and 80) with nothing other than the tuner in the radio, and a trapped vertical which I mainly use on 20m, but does do 80/40/30/20/15/10, all independently tuned, so again no tuner....other than for 80m where it has incredibly narrow bandwidth.

Last edited by 43CT016 on Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:07 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down
Jape

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2020 6:54 pm

Alan - Mirror M wrote:
I have my ZS6BKW in the loft, it goes around it about 1.5X using plastic insulators, I took the time to tune it properly in situ and I made contacts in Russia and Canada in the past week.  
A chap I speak to used to have his G5RV running along the top of his garden fence and he told me it did surprisingly well.
Unconventional installations can do a good job it seems, don't be put off by a small garden.

Does it require a balun and rod earth

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2020 6:44 am

Jape wrote:
GaryWilson wrote:

73's Gary.
Hi Gary/Alan

I will give that tritband a try as it wil bE quite easy to intalland suits my garden and bungalow. Have you tired it on 80m ?

I also like Alan's Z56. Although it is bit too long for the garden and causes compications etc  - I do have a big loft and will try an install in there, but it's not gonna be that high.

Thanks for all the input on this. }

James
Hello James, 

I haven't tried it on 80m because I don't have a tuner to do that with. I suspect that it would be pretty poor 80m but 30, 17, 15 and 12 might be worth a try. It's certainly worked for me with my limited ish garden. 

73's Gary.

Back to top Go down
Jape

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2020 11:13 pm

The triband arrived today and is rigged up in experimental mode to determine wether east to west is best or north to south. My garden faces south.. Either way it seems ro work better than anything I had. It is currently attached and running n/s flat along a clothes line. Thats about as high I can get the attenna at the moment. 

I am planning to fix one end to the chimney on my bungalow as the antenna is supposed to be a sloper - but that limits me to a north-south config.

James

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 9:05 am

Jape wrote:
Alan - Mirror M wrote:

Does it require a balun and rod earth

I used it without one at first just an air choke/ugly Balan but did add a one to one balun after a short time. It doesn't need to be earned as it's a balanced antenna but I am using both an air choke and one to one balun, you would certainly get away without using the balun for a time but adding one does make noticeable improvements.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

G5RV for multiband Empty
PostSubject: Re: G5RV for multiband   G5RV for multiband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

G5RV for multiband
Page 1 of 1