Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
yaesu software lincoln 2022 president ss9900 display call 2023 supply ALINCO chart meter sign 9900 frequency Mckinley list Mobile Baofeng antenna callsign Sirio anytone power 6900
QRZ Database

Hand held RX distances with a hand held

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gavala
Gavala

Call Sign : M7GRC
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Hampshire UK
Equipment Used : Yeasu FTM400XDR / Anytone 878+

Hand held RX distances with a hand held Empty
PostSubject: Hand held RX distances with a hand held   Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi all. I've been playing with this new Anytone 878+ in analog until I can get my foundation license (listening only), and today even though not connected to a local repeater I was listening to a repeater conversation some 90 miles away on 2M. I can understand that they wouldn't hear my hand held from this distance, but is that reception distance normal?
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Hand held RX distances with a hand held   Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2020 3:47 pm

It's not entirely unusual.

The Foundation will teach you 'line of sight' for these bands but is often a third more or so than the calculated. The fun happens when certain propogation conditions happen! See the link below :-

RSGB - VHF/UHF Propogation

See, it's still all radio fun up there too! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
ranger
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
ranger

Call Sign : 26CT140/26TM140
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Essex

PostSubject: Re: Hand held RX distances with a hand held   Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2020 8:55 pm

90 miles from a 2m repeater, doesn't sound to unheard of.
remember its txing anything from 20watts+ which generally is much more than a standard handy around 4w,
If the repeater is located on high ground and/or you have line of sight to it then I would say its easily possible.
You might even find a small yagi on the handy will be enough to give the repeater access if your directing all your 4watts straight at it.

Did you catch the repeater name or ident you could hear?
Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Leicester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

PostSubject: Re: Hand held RX distances with a hand held   Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2020 10:27 pm

90 miles is not unusual, here in Leicester we've had people from SE London accessing CB3CF (before it went digital) when there's a 'lift' on, over 100 miles, and sometimes we used to get interference from the Bristol repeater too. We even had folks from Boston (Lincs) and Wrexham (N Wales) getting into it too, it all depends on band conditions. VHF does have a good range sometimes, but it's not reliable, but it does happen. Ah the joys of Ham radio, lol. If the repeater is on a good high site and conditions permit even European contacts are possible. If you've got a smart phone, get the 'Repeater Book' app and see what you can hear, you might be surprised. 50 miles is not unheard of either even on a bad day.
Back to top Go down
Gavala
Gavala

Call Sign : M7GRC
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Hampshire UK
Equipment Used : Yeasu FTM400XDR / Anytone 878+

PostSubject: Re: Hand held RX distances with a hand held   Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2020 10:37 pm

Thanks Victor. Propagation as in what we knew as 'skip'. I've just been going back over the foundation license manual taking notes and propagation/ionosphere was something I could grasp from old, its just the numbers I needed to take notes on.

Ranger thanks. I just google map distanced it and it works out 65 miles not 90, however that's still impressive in my eyes for a hand held sat on a windowsill facing the opposite direction. Keep in mind I only come from the old FM/AM/SSB era.

The repeater was GB3TU Tring. After I posted that people were coming through this repeater from Weymouth, the Isle Of Wight and near Brighton, so I was quite impressed considering a few days ago I was looking at this radio as though an expensive door stop.
All this is strange as I listen to repeaters around me and there's hardly any calls, but maybe that's just down to activity than anything else.

Thanks Mitch my corrected mileage seems about right then. If this is what's possible on a hand held its making it so more tempting to get the full license and expand. For now I want to try this hand held along with two antennas on the van and see how each of those perform.

I'm only 34M above sea level by the way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hand held RX distances with a hand held   Hand held RX distances with a hand held Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hand held RX distances with a hand held
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: The Amateur Lounge :: Amateur Discussions-
Jump to: