Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
Home setup Icon_minitimeToday at 6:23 pm by madmax

» new call sign
Home setup Icon_minitimeToday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

» CT call sign request
Home setup Icon_minitimeToday at 1:50 pm by Petesevern

» EU conditions have started
Home setup Icon_minitimeToday at 10:41 am by babis3g

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Home setup Icon_minitimeToday at 9:50 am by John H

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Home setup Icon_minitimeToday at 8:51 am by babis3g

» HF Contacts 15m
Home setup Icon_minitimeToday at 8:44 am by Ivy Mike

» South Coast PMR net report
Home setup Icon_minitimeToday at 8:12 am by Razz229

» Help needed
Home setup Icon_minitimeToday at 6:52 am by teapot

Keywords
6900 power supply antenna call sign Sirio 9900 anytone Mckinley ss9900 list chart 2022 software Baofeng callsign ALINCO Mobile meter frequency lincoln display yaesu 2023 president
QRZ Database

Home setup

Go down 
+5
43CT016
glenn dog
Bovril
Victor
Grasmerestu
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Grasmerestu

Call Sign : 26-CT-3842
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Grasmere
Equipment Used : CRT Mike Kenwood TS-480 Yaesu Diamond X-50N FTM-7250D Hustler 5-BTV, DX commander, Yaesu FT-891

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Hi everyone I've got my mobile rigg in my pickup but I find myself thinking more and more about creating a Home base rigg, trouble is I live in Grasmere and obviously surrounded by fells etc, is it a pointless dream or do you think i'd be able to receive something if i go down that rabbit hole?? 
Cheers 
Fellas 
Stu 
Very Happy

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GVI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 5:50 am

Hi Stu,

I know how you feel mate, a mobile setup is a lot of fun and carries advantages but there's just something about a homebase setup and having a 'shack' Wink

It'll be more difficult to set up a homebase, longer coax to contend with and associated losses, plus getting a homebase antenna high enough. If you're in a valley a typical 5/8ths wave antenna could give you such a low angle of RF emission that your signals won't make it out of a valley in which case a 1/2 wave antenna would be better. The 1/2 wave also wouldn't have to be setup as high as a 5/8ths.

It also depends on what radio activity you are after. In my own location CB users are sparse and I can't make it out of the deep dark radio hole where I live so I setup a homemade inverted V dipole antenna. It cannot make local contacts, (which I don't have), but it sure did fire well into Europe on the summer skip! But, I sit patiently waiting for the mid-winter propogation to pick up and otherwise the excitement won't start again until next summer and the rising sunspot.

One way to decide is to see if you get radio activity already on your mobile setup. Are you able to make CB radio contact when you are near home? If not I doubt a homebase setup will give you much more improvement.

An advantage of a mobile setup, as many of the mad fools on here will testify to, is that you can go high up and even strap a typical homebase antenna to a pole or wheel stand, (or lashed to the back of the pickup! Wink), and get long range CB contact. You live only just North of a big population with some big radio users and might have more luck.

Let none of that dissuade you, it's entirely up to you how you progress. I just find it a shame when people lash out good money on a homebase setup only to be left disappointed because they didn't do some simple checks first.
At least you're lucky in that you don't live in a big city with all the associated RF noise and interference! Smile

If radio really is your thing and as exciting as CB use is, you could always get your 'Ham' ticket.....
With my Foundation 10 watts and a wire antenna in the loft I can hit stations as far as you with considerable ease on 80m SSB.

Anyway, hope some of my mumblings help you in any way. My intention is to help where I can.

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog and Grasmerestu like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Grasmerestu

Equipment Used : CRT Mike Kenwood TS-480 Yaesu Diamond X-50N FTM-7250D Hustler 5-BTV, DX commander, Yaesu FT-891

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 11:41 am

Thanks for that Victor, I don't get anything from my truck at home so i'm thinking more power is going to be essential. Initially i'd be happy to just be able to listen in to be honest 
stu

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Bovril

Call Sign : 26-CT-3694
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ruislip, London.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT2000D

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2020 11:25 pm

What a pickle to be in, the problem amplified due to the high frequency we operate on.
Back to top Go down
Grasmerestu

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 7:19 am

After talking to a few folks I decided the only way I was going to get out from here was to go down the Ham licence route, I booked myself in for the exam on the 2nd Dec  Shocked  In the mean time I bought a all band Transceiver and a vertical antenna I'm receiving good signals on it so hopefully when I get my ticket ill be able to get out on it  Wink

Victor and 43CT016 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 8:03 am

Hi Stu,

Nice to hear you taking your radio interests further and good to hear about your multi-band radio acquisition. Glad that you are receiving great signals with it! Smile

May I just wish you good luck with your studies and the best of luck with your forthcoming exam.

Here's hoping I catch you on the bands one day enjoying your radio hobby.

All the very best,
Victor

glenn dog and 43CT016 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 8:23 am

Today is a radio room cleaning day, local radio is ok, truckers are active, playing songs from 80/81 back in the day when i was 1st in to radio, trip down memory lane, hunting out photos from the 8os, sure i took some of the set up all those years ago,

Grasmerestu likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 9:05 am

Grasmerestu wrote:
After talking to a few folks I decided the only way I was going to get out from here was to go down the Ham licence route, I booked myself in for the exam on the 2nd Dec  Shocked  In the mean time I bought a all band Transceiver and a vertical antenna I'm receiving good signals on it so hopefully when I get my ticket ill be able to get out on it  Wink

Great news, well done. 

When (Notice I said when!!) you pass, come back and we'll have a discussion on both NVIS to get you short hops (Up to 300-400 miles or so) out of the valley on the low bands, and it sounds like you're sorted for potential DX with the vertical too.

What kit did yo buy?

Victor and Grasmerestu like this post

Back to top Go down
Grasmerestu

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 11:55 am

43CT016 wrote:
Grasmerestu wrote:

Great news, well done. 

When (Notice I said when!!) you pass, come back and we'll have a discussion on both NVIS to get you short hops (Up to 300-400 miles or so) out of the valley on the low bands, and it sounds like you're sorted for potential DX with the vertical too.

What kit did yo buy?

Thanks for that looking forward to getting on the air!
Total kit up to now is 

Yaesu FTM-7250 with a Diamond x-50n Antenna on gable end (I can hear a repeater in Kendal with this) 

Then I found a good deal on a Kenwood TS-480 DSP which is adjustable from 5-100 watt so ideal, its connected to a Hustler 5-BTV multi band vertical in the garden with 20 or so radials as long as I could get them.
Stu 

Back to top Go down
Grasmerestu

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi just an update, I took and passed the foundation on wednesday Smile

John123, Northern Crusader and 43CT016 like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2020 6:36 pm

Congratulations on your pass.

Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Hi Stu and many congrats on passing your foundation , well done! 

I know Grasmere very well and yes it’s not a great location for radio due to the very steep hills which surround it to the north, east and west, luckily you do have a bit of a opening to the south , while activity may be very low on CB you will may find a bit more activity on 2m , lots of SOTA and WOTA activations on the surrounding mountains 

Craig

Back to top Go down
Grasmerestu

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2020 7:03 pm

Sydthecat wrote:
Hi Stu and many congrats on passing your foundation , well done! 

I know Grasmere very well and yes it’s not a great location for radio due to the very steep hills which surround it to the north, east and west, luckily you do have a bit of a opening to the south , while activity may be very low on CB you will may find a bit more activity on 2m , lots of SOTA and WOTA activations on the surrounding mountains 

Craig
Thanks and yes there's nothing in the way of CB really, I've heard the Kendal and Blackpool repeater's with my 7250D  so hopefully I can do something with them, I've also heard a bit on 160,80,40,20, and recently 17 and 15 too with the HF Kenwood set and a dx commander vertical. I like the idea of SOTA as a fell runner so will definitely be trying that, I suppose it depends if anyone can hear me with my 10w  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2020 7:31 pm

Oh yes you will definitely be heard from any of your local SOTA , I often work them from my home QTH even Skidaw can be heard from down here 

5w goes a very long way when your 3k feet up lol 

Craig

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 12:10 pm

Congrats on passing  your foundation, Stu.👍

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 12:35 am

Congrats!

Back to top Go down
Gmonkey
Gmonkey

Call Sign : 26-CT-3890
QTH or Location : Luton, Bedfordshire
Equipment Used : CB - Twig: Sirio 2016 5/8. Rigs: ICOM 7300, Grant II Premium, Amstrad 901, CRT2000H, Murphy CH1500, Moonraker II, Harrier CBX, Harvard 420, Binatone Breaker Phone, Fidelity 3000. Scanners : Twig Wideband Generic. Rigs: AOR 8600 MK2, Realistic Pro 2005, Various scanning Dongles

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 10:44 am

Congratulations on passing.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Home setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home setup   Home setup Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Home setup
Page 1 of 1