Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
New member help needed Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:15 pm by karelgol

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
New member help needed Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:26 pm by SangueG

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
New member help needed Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:23 pm by madmax

» new call sign
New member help needed Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

» CT call sign request
New member help needed Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:50 pm by Petesevern

» EU conditions have started
New member help needed Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by babis3g

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
New member help needed Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:51 am by babis3g

» HF Contacts 15m
New member help needed Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:44 am by Ivy Mike

» South Coast PMR net report
New member help needed Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:12 am by Razz229

Keywords
2023 Mobile chart meter list yaesu sign software Mckinley 2022 Sirio call antenna frequency 6900 display callsign president supply lincoln Baofeng ALINCO anytone ss9900 9900 power
QRZ Database

New member help needed

Go down 
+2
Victor
jimmyGwagen
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jimmyGwagen

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Kingston Surrey
Equipment Used : Albrecht AE-6110

New member help needed Empty
PostSubject: New member help needed   New member help needed Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 2:01 pm

Last year I bought a little Albrecht AE-6110 and Rocket Radio Apollo 2 Budget CB Magmount Antenna and so far have not had any contact.
I had hoped to get traffic situation from truckers, particularly at the Channel Tunnel which I use regularly and I think delays will happen with Brexit.
I wondering if truckers still use CB? And what would be a better Antenna for the 6110?
THX in advance
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: New member help needed   New member help needed Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 4:23 pm

It can be hit or miss around the UK as far as AM/FM modes, some areas are busy and others devoid of CB action.

Many members here can attest to upgrading to a SSB capable rig and the extra distances you can achieve with those modes. You don't say how you have your magmount antenna sited, is it on a car? If so, then it may be worth driving to local higher ground and see how you fare there.

Again, as for antenna recommendations, is this for a car?

We do have members here that are lorry drivers or 'truckers' who do indeed use CB radios but as with all things CB I don't think it is as popular as it once was.

Hope that helps somewhat.

All the best,
Victor

jimmyGwagen likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
jimmyGwagen

PostSubject: Re: New member help needed   New member help needed Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 5:58 pm

Thank you Victor, this is helpful..
It is a 4X4 car, the Antenna is on the front bumper on a magnetic holder
Back to top Go down
jimmyGwagen

PostSubject: Re: New member help needed   New member help needed Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Will try your high ground suggestion, so far have tried channel 19 on the M20 and from the tunnel terminal with truck parking in line of sight... did the same on French side. On scan got faint foreign traffic on 40

A few years back we were trapped at the terminal entrance on the bridge for 4 hours with a sick child... no information on what was happening. When we eventually got to checkin, there was just one old French border guard on a go slow

Seems the French were on a general go slow, can see this happening next year
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: New member help needed   New member help needed Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 9:50 am

You won't hear much on that antenna. It's just over 2ft long and has a range probably a couple of miles. It has barely 6% of the efficiency of a full size 102" whip so a signal someone would receive on that which was S7 on their meter would be around S2 on yours.

Putting it low down on the front bumper makes a bad situation even worse.  That is even more loss, another two S points down compared to having it on the roof of the car. 

So in short if someone with a decent installed antenna on the roof of their car is hearing a S7 signal you'll hear nothing. 

THE ANTENNA IS EVERYTHING. How well your CB works depends entirely on the antenna and how you've installed it. You don't want to be considering anything less than 5ft long and you want it in the middle of the roof of the vehicle if possible.

My advice is to put that thing you've got away, go buy a Sirio 3000, or if you don't mind a longer antenna the 6ft 4 inch 4000, either with a Sirio ML145 magmount and put that on the roof.

NUBSTER and Captain Caveman like this post

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: New member help needed   New member help needed Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 10:17 am

yes height is might and get some height below the wheels, and up my way we all use mid bands not been on uk 40, and this is strange as on mid bands there is less noise, now is this a plot to get every one onto mid band and take away uk40, away just a thought, so is there no chance of a mag mount on the roof of the car is a better idea and a good sirio 4000hp or a sirio 5000t and a good tri mag and it will stay on at most speeds my self 120+ mph and never moved , up in the hills you will crack out
Back to top Go down
Captain Caveman
Captain Caveman

Call Sign : 26-CT-3442
QTH or Location : Ramsgate, Kent, UK
Equipment Used : crt ss6900n - Yaesu FT-891

PostSubject: Re: New member help needed   New member help needed Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 1:17 pm

Great advice from NC, for little investment, big improvements on distance can be made when mobile.
A few homebase stations in and around Dover on the UK19. Infact, I can hear 'George' in Dover booming in on the 19 as I type. Very Happy A couple of mobile Alpha Tangos regularly dx from Capel le Ferne,  high up on the Old Dover Road. About 600ft ASL iirc, so a sweet spot to park up and have a shout out.

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member help needed   New member help needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member help needed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Standard Multistandard CB Radio UK/EU/Multinorm-
Jump to: