Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign..
RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeToday at 7:29 am by iherup888

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeToday at 4:21 am by Sydthecat

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington
RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:40 pm by Tarot

» New call sign request (Issued)
RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by John123

» Greetings from Fife, New call sign request (Issued)
RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:06 pm by John123

» Intruduction & call sign request (Issued)
RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:05 pm by John123

» 11m conditions
RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» HF Contacts 15m
RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:42 am by SangueG

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 8:28 pm by Razz229

Keywords
Sirio Baofeng power Mckinley software frequency 2022 lincoln meter yaesu ss9900 6900 anytone call sign ALINCO list president antenna 9900 display Mobile 2023 callsign chart supply
QRZ Database

RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Empty
PostSubject: RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam   RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2021 10:35 am

Today the RSGB is expected to announce a consultation on a new exam that will take candidates straight to the Full licence without the need to do Foundation or Intermediate exams

The RSGB’s Examination Standards Committee is launching the consultation to ask for the views of the amateur radio community on a new, Direct to Full licence exam which would run in parallel with the existing three-tier system.

The consultation is expected to start at 10:15 GMT, Wednesday, February 17, and run until Sunday, March 14. The background to this consultation and a link to the proposed syllabus should be on the RSGB website at
http://www.rsgb.org/direct-to-full

There have been calls for a Direct-To-Full exam in the UK for many years, the RSGB's Training and Education Committee (TEC) formally proposed it in 2010 and early indications are it may prove popular.

The UK's current system forces people to do through three separate exam sessions to get a Full (HAREC) licence. In future people would be free to choose to do the short online Foundation course to initially get their Foundation licence and then study and do the Direct-To-Full exam online, completely bypassing the Intermediate. This should produce a saving in exam fees and hopefully may mean less exam stress.
As a successful Direct-To-Full candidate will receive the HAREC qualification the online exam may prove of interest to people outside the British Islands. There are a number of countries in Africa, and even Europe, where it can be difficult, even impossible, to access amateur radio training or exams. Being able to access online training and get the internationally recognised HAREC qualification online may help would-be amateurs get licences in those countries.
This new exam will no doubt remind old-timers of the City and Guilds Radio Amateur Exam which took people straight to a Full licence (A or B). Essex Ham did a comparison of what was needed for the old C&G RAE compared to the current three-tier system, see
https://www.essexham.co.uk/rae-exam-reviewed.html
The Direct-To-Full exam was discussed February 15 on the Essex Monday Night Net on GB3DA. A short recording of edited highlights of the discussion is available at
https://www.essexham.co.uk/direct-to-full-feedback
Back to top Go down
Tim Tom
Contributor
Contributor
Tim Tom

Call Sign : 26-SW-010 / 26-TM-087
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Somerset
Equipment Used : Kernow beta 4100 mobile for now...

PostSubject: Re: RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam   RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2021 10:32 pm

Interesting, however no doubt some of the older more snobby operators will no doubt be up in arms.... As usual...

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam   RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 8:13 am

Tim Tom wrote:
Interesting, however no doubt some of the older more snobby operators will no doubt be up in arms.... As usual...

It's only when they whinge you know progress is being made. Very Happy

Victor and Tim Tom like this post

Back to top Go down
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

Call Sign : 26-CT-3433
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Hull
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 88s + crt 9900+5/8 gain master

PostSubject: Re: RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam   RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 1:38 pm

i agree, some of the old timers don't like M7 let alone a short cut. If you can pass it why not.in 1994 I went straight through my HGV in a class 1,now you have to jump through hoops. Some changes are good some not. Good luck to any CT members if they go for it
regards 
mark

Sydthecat and Tim Tom like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam   RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 1:54 pm

As Mark say's above.
I did my class 1 but never did a car test but i still have a car licence but due to my health no longer hold the class 1.
I did go on a night school course for the RAE licence 30? years ago but never went over to the ham side stayed with cb and that was that then 30? years later i did the foundation.
If only springs to mind.

Last edited by Alan Pilot on Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:52 am; edited 2 times in total

Sydthecat likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam   RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 4:03 pm

Same here Alan with the RAE, one course cancelled due to dwindling numbers, second for pretty much the same thing, (only two of us in attendance three lessons in!?!?!). My third attempt the course didn't even go ahead due to 'lack of interest'!
Turbulent times back in the 80's though for those of us that remember Wink

Got there in the end and only thanks to it all becoming available online.

"...formally proposed in 2010 and early indications are it may prove popular."

Nice to see the RSGB moving quickly as ever Very Happy

Honestly though, I'd be up for it, but as already mentioned it'll probably ruffle some feathers.

Don't shoot the messenger, they say - so thanks Mark for posting. 👍

Tim Tom likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

PostSubject: Re: RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam   RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 10:37 pm

Tim Tom wrote:

You are wrong i know a few including me that have been saying this for years that having a direct route should have stayed on the table.
This is a good move.
Mark.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam   RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2021 2:34 pm

Have you given your views in the RSGB’s consultation on a proposed new, Direct to Full licence exam? Over 1,000 people have responded already so make sure your voice is heard by completing the Society’s survey. The consultation closes on Sunday 14 March. The background to this consultation as well as links to the proposed syllabus and the survey are on the RSGB website: rsgb.org/direct-to-full
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam   RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RSGB to announce consultation on Direct-To-Full exam
Page 1 of 1