Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeToday at 11:59 am by SangueG

» South Coast PMR net report
Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeToday at 8:43 am by Razz229

» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:27 pm by GaryWilson

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by John123

» New call sign request (Issued)
Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

Keywords
software call yaesu 6900 Mckinley supply frequency Mobile 2022 lincoln antenna sign power 9900 Sirio display 2023 chart ALINCO Baofeng anytone ss9900 callsign meter list president
QRZ Database

Getting noise on all channels

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chefsdead
Contributor
Contributor
Chefsdead

Call Sign : 26-CT-3891
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Doncaster
Equipment Used : CRT SS 6900N .. Yaesu ft450d

Getting noise on all channels Empty
PostSubject: Getting noise on all channels   Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 4:38 pm

This started on Tue from 4pm i get 7lb of hiss and it lasts till 9am i the same on all channels and modes is there anything i can use to cut the noise down.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: Getting noise on all channels   Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 6:25 pm

Michael,

I'm with Martin on this one, unless you can find out if the noise is Man Made or Atmospheric, you would be ??????? against the peverbal wind.

From your brief description, it does sound like something that is on a timer or possibly photocell, i.e. dusk til dawn light? possibly street lighting?

If you have the option of powering your kit with a battery and switching off your electric at the mains, you would at least determine if it is coming from something in your own property / garden.

If it does turn out to be a neighbours dusk til dawn light, I would suggest a handy half brick  Wink Wink Wink

Only joking of course.

Good luck with your efforts.

Graeme.

NUBSTER and glenn dog like this post

Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Norfolk
Equipment Used : Uniden BCT 15X

PostSubject: Re: Getting noise on all channels   Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 6:47 pm

First, what band/frequency is this on? In other words, do you know if this is broadband, confined to  a narrow band, or if it has any pattern to what frequencies it is on. It is best to know your enemy. 

Back when I was licenced, the first thing I would do is remove the antenna. Can you still hear the noise? If you can then it is coming in via the mains, not the antenna. If the noise disappears when the antenna is disconnected, then you know it is entering that way. 

Next I would get a small AM radio, tune it between channels & see if you can hear the noise on that. Am is best for noise finding & a small portable radio allows you to go out hunting. If your radio covers the effected band,  then all the better. But sometimes a MW RX, is all that is required. 

If you can hear the noise on your radio, then take a walk around your own home & your local area. Some man made noises can travel long distances & could come from anything that is electrical, even a few streets or more away.  

Things that could be on over night most, or every night, includes battery chargers & with everything from scooters, to bicycles & cars being electric now, they are every where. Street lights are on every night. Bulbs, as I understand it, are now more likely to cause problems. So think porch lights, security systems etc too.
The list goes on. 

If you cannot here the noise on your AM radio. Your next step is to switch your mains electricity off, remove all your fuses to isolate your house from the mains & then see if you can hear the noise when your radio is connected to a battery. You would be surprised how much noise comes from within our own homes. 

If the noise is outside of your home & not coming in via the mains. Then you will have to find a RX, that will pick up the noise on frequencies you are hearing them on & then go for a walk. 

A scanner or a portable Short Wave radio, will find most noise sources. A scanner can have it's antenna removed to attenuate the signal & the base of a scanner will also null the signal & act as a crude DF tool. With a SW radio, you will have to experiment to get the best from it.

Sydthecat and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Chefsdead
Contributor
Contributor
Chefsdead

PostSubject: Re: Getting noise on all channels   Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 10:06 pm

Seasick it from 26.065-28.305 7lb straight through i have taken the antenna out from back of radio and i get no noise.

Its not a PLT noise no crackling just a hissing sound its not the street lights as i would have had it before.
Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Norfolk
Equipment Used : Uniden BCT 15X

PostSubject: Re: Getting noise on all channels   Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 10:32 pm

Chefsdead wrote:
Its not a PLT noise no crackling just a hissing sound its not the street lights as i would have had it before.

When it comes to interference there is something called the rusty bolt syndrome. Metals of dissimilar types can create problems when a rusty bolt is involved. What causes interference to suddenly  pop up, is not always something new. Bulbs & other components deteriorate with age. Maintenance is done & parts  are replaced. Any number of things can cause interference. 

I once spent some time helping a friend track down some interference & it turned out to be the light in a fish tank in a Chinese takeaway over the road. We brought them a new light bulb & the problem vanished. 

I also knew someone who lived in the middle of no where, but he used to get random bouts of airborne interference at various times. It took him months to track it down. It turned out to be an insulator on a telegraph pole mounted transformer, 2 fields away, that transmitted unwanted noise when it rained. But only when it rained beyond a certain amount. 

Do you have something like a shortwave radio or a scanner that covers any of the given spectrum, that you take a walk with to track down the source with?

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Chefsdead
Contributor
Contributor
Chefsdead

PostSubject: Re: Getting noise on all channels   Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 7:51 am

I'll sort video out later
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting noise on all channels   Getting noise on all channels Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting noise on all channels
Page 1 of 1