Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
Advice needed please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
Advice needed please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
Advice needed please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
Advice needed please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Advice needed please Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
Advice needed please Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
Advice needed please Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Advice needed please Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
yaesu sign Mobile Mckinley Baofeng 6900 9900 callsign antenna software president lincoln Sirio display 2022 call meter anytone frequency 2023 ALINCO power ss9900 supply list chart
QRZ Database

Advice needed please

Go down 
+5
glenn dog
Alan - Mirror Man
Alan Pilot
morris
Tigerpaws
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Tigerpaws

Call Sign : 26-CT-4054
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Basingstoke
Equipment Used : CRT Xenon

Advice needed please Empty
PostSubject: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2021 11:40 am

I have recently joined the CT group after a break from using a CB for many years.   i am looking to get into DX again but not sure which would be the best set to purchase. I think a set with AM/FM/USB/SSB would be ok but which make or model
Back to top Go down
morris
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
morris

Call Sign : 26-CT-11111
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Kent

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2021 12:54 pm

The most popular multi mode radios seem to be the superstar 9900, superstar 6900 and the new President Mckinley the latter being the most expensive and the cheapest being the 6900,they all do pretty much the same as each other so it`s all down to personal budget really.

all the best

John

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2021 2:05 pm

As above but i liked the 6900 best.

morris and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2021 2:38 pm

I went for the 9900, it was ultimately the slightly higher power output that swung it for me I think as aesthetically I  think I prefer the other one.

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2021 6:19 pm

I got the New Lincoln 2+, for my 1st ssb radio, after a few years break of the radio.

Back to top Go down
Tigerpaws

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2021 6:25 pm

Thanks for all the advice have just purchased the 6900 as advised

Looking forward to getting it set up and making new friends

morris, glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2021 7:52 pm

Tigerpaws wrote:
Thanks for all the advice have just purchased the 6900 as advised

I think you'll love it, I am enjoying mine Advice needed please 1f603 

I do suggest having a squiz through the manual before pressing too many buttons or twiddling knobs though. A lot more functions and settings on it than many of the imported SSB units from back in the day, and it remembers the setting for each channel, e.g. if you're on Channel 1 band A and you turn on the roger bleep, turn on the ANL, press the 10KHz shift and turn the clarifier by a few KHz, all that will stay like that just on that channel until you go back to that channel and set it differently. So imagine fiddling with the settings on a number of channels, turning it off, then turning it back on the next day with many channels set on odd frequencies and different settings... Yes I did that at the start Embarassed All good fun though.

The clarifier especially read up on, if nothing else. It's not just a clarifier, or even just a kc shift. It can be set in menus to adjust just the receive, just transmit, or both together, and has 10 or 100HZ, and 1 or 10KHz tuning options.

Plenty of vids on utube that will explain all that though.

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2021 7:19 am

Great job by everyone for the help and suggestions offered to a fellow member of CT. I applaud you all as always.

Alan, Tigerpaws - I hope you enjoy your new 6900 when it arrives and as you've already experienced here, if you need any help there are plenty of members more than willing to help out.

Enjoy your radio, your radio interests and indeed the positive aspects of Charlie Tango membership.

All the best,
Victor

morris, glenn dog and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Tigerpaws

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 12:19 pm

Many thanks to all. I have got my 6900 now and looking forward to trying it out. Can anyone recommend a battery power pack for use away from my car
Back to top Go down
morris
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
morris

Call Sign : 26-CT-11111
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Kent

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 12:35 pm

Not sure what the power output is on that radio but a 8-10 amp power supply should be more than enough.

all the best

John
Back to top Go down
Tigerpaws

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 6:50 pm

Have looked for a rechargeable portable battery pack but can’t find a suitable one. Would appreciate advice from someone who uses one
Back to top Go down
Telstar
Telstar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3520. Foundation & Intermediate Ham
QTH or Location : Telford, Shropshire
Equipment Used : Uniden 200. SS6900N, Yaesu FT8900, Alinco DX77E, Alinco DX70

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 7:35 pm

Tigerpaws wrote:
Many thanks to all. I have got my 6900 now and looking forward to trying it out.  Can anyone recommend a battery power pack for use away from my car
Hi. If you want to use your 6900n at home, it depends on what version of the 6900n you have, there are two versions, almost identical but have different FM power outputs, 12 watts or 40 watts. I have the 40 watt version and use a 30amp PSU and that runs it brilliantly on the 10m band frequencies. I have tried it on a 20 Amp PSU and it works OK. I am legally able to run 40 watts output of the 6900n as a licensed radio ham (Intermediate Level).  I would recommend a 20Amp PSU such as the QJE https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363258343956?hash=item5493e27214:g:gqoAAOSwO6BfobaG which is one of the ones I use.

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 7:51 pm

In addition to the above advice, if it is actually a 'battery' pack you are looking for, that's not something I have used as yet (the car battery excluded) but am also looking for one too. After watching many videos and reading up what other people have been using I am looking towards a LiFePO unit. Just trying to decide on a size now.

The below video is a presentation to a Ham club on Bioenno batteries. About 25 mins in it looks to have some good info about sizes and their estimated run times..

Just to note, I have the 40W FM version 6900, have a 10amp fuse in line and hasn't popped yet, so I don't think the unit pulls mega current even on full power.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tigerpaws

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 7:54 pm

This looks like a home based PSU and not a portable one which is what I am looking for at present
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2021 11:19 am

Tigerpaws wrote:
Thanks for all the advice have just purchased the 6900 as advised but were are you getting it from if its knights they will program it for you you get a choice what program you want

Back to top Go down
Tigerpaws

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2021 3:03 pm

Is there any club members that have a set up they use out in the field such as up un a hill where they take their own power supply
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2021 5:56 pm

Hi. If you look through the CTX part of the forum you will probably find some links to CTX members videos which some of show what they use.

I would urge you to re-check the video link I posted in my previous post though as it is all about portable battery packs, not home PSUs. I will be buying one these types of lithium batteries soon to do some walkabout hill topping.. Just need to save a few more pennies first so that I don't get grief from my better half.

-

Edit: Just going through some of the CTX videos myself again and found THIS ONE from CTX2500 that shows all his kit. He uses a Tracer pack which looks pretty good. Pricey though. A very long vid, Tracer is at the 1h 20min point.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please   Advice needed please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice needed please
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Standard Multistandard CB Radio UK/EU/Multinorm-
Jump to: