Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
Sirio anytone chart 9900 software sign callsign Mobile list ss9900 Baofeng call meter 6900 lincoln power president 2022 display ALINCO frequency Mckinley supply yaesu 2023 antenna
QRZ Database

Wow. A ham in crisis!

Go down 
+3
Captain Fantastic
Alan Pilot
Hotel Zulu 253
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Wow. A ham in crisis! Empty
PostSubject: Wow. A ham in crisis!   Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2021 2:30 pm

Sat parked up behind a van with a disabled sticker and a M6 call sign in the rear screen.

There was a lot of QSK's and the driver was getting louder and angrier!
Only I'm thinking he's the one QSK'ing.

Suddenly a handheld came flying out of the drivers windows.
Straight under the wheels of a lorry, and the van literally screeched away.

So I've got three thoughts.
If he was QSK'ing without a response, I'm thinking he was target fixated and not thinking that sometimes you can hear them but they can't hear you.

If he was BEING QSK'd, again, and again, and AGAIN!
I think I would have been a 'mite' angry as well.

But the third thought was WTH was he thinking that drove him to chuck the radio out of the window!

I've heard some REALLY nasty conversations on the air over the years but the drivers reaction was one I've never thought I'd see.

Still, his loss, my gain.
As I've now got a well mangled IC-T81 to strip for spares.
And like a few old timers, we all have a VERY DEEP spares drawer.
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

PostSubject: Re: Wow. A ham in crisis!   Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2021 2:50 pm

I heard a story about a bloke who completly flipped his lid because one of his thongs blew a plug.
The bits I didn't hear were how he woke up 2 hours late for work that day, got a speeding fine on the way to work, was sacked for being late, went home to have his wife dump him for loosing his job ... he'd kept it all together until he was walking to the fish and chip shop to get some dinner when his thong blew a plug ....

What's the moral of the story ?

Never judge someone's poor reaction to a seemingly minor issue, they might just have had the worst day of their life.
Wow. A ham in crisis! 20210516
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Wow. A ham in crisis!   Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2021 2:56 pm

QSK is more of a cb thing break works better on the Ham side so that could be why he wasn't called in.
Back to top Go down
Captain Fantastic
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Captain Fantastic

Call Sign : 15-CT-964
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Zurich, Switzerland
Equipment Used : Base: Jackson II + 1/2wave silver rod. Mobile:Albrecht AE 6110 + Little Wil

PostSubject: Re: Wow. A ham in crisis!   Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2021 3:23 pm

Here folks say 'Z' to break into a QSO. Not sure why?
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

PostSubject: Re: Wow. A ham in crisis!   Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 12:42 am

I've always used "breaker breaker" usually timed at the end of the strongest stations over. Then I patiently wait to be bought in.
Typically after another over or two, the strong station will announce to the other stations "we have a breaker" and bring me in with "come in breaker"
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Wow. A ham in crisis!   Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 7:02 am

Hotel Zulu 253 wrote:
I've always used "breaker breaker" usually timed at the end of the strongest stations over. Then I patiently wait to be bought in.
Typically after another over or two, the strong station will announce to the other stations "we have a breaker" and bring me in with "come in breaker"
Same here well similar just "Break" is enough and wait a minute.
Back to top Go down
Paddy
CT Directors
CT Directors
Paddy

Call Sign : 26CT2727
Times Thanked : 54
QTH or Location : Stockport
Equipment Used : Icom 7300. Icom 705, Yaesu FTM400XD and a Yaesu FT70.

PostSubject: Re: Wow. A ham in crisis!   Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 1:52 pm

I can’t imagine someone shouting QSK on the ham bands going down to well, lol.

Bean likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

PostSubject: Re: Wow. A ham in crisis!   Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 3:37 pm

Q - codes are very much an 11m thing on phone and pretty much restricted to CW on the bands , except for the odd time in a low contact . A call should always be by your full callsign unless already in a group or net where "break" might be in order should you wish to add something out of turn at least on the Amateur bands.
Back to top Go down
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

Call Sign : 26-CT-3433
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Hull
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 88s + crt 9900+5/8 gain master

PostSubject: Re: Wow. A ham in crisis!   Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 4:11 pm

Hotel Zulu 253 wrote:
I heard a story about a bloke who completly flipped his lid because one of his thongs blew a plug.
The bits I didn't hear were how he woke up 2 hours late for work that day, got a speeding fine on the way to work, was sacked for being late, went home to have his wife dump him for loosing his job ... he'd kept it all together until he was walking to the fish and chip shop to get some dinner when his thong blew a plug ....

What's the moral of the story ?

Never judge someone's poor reaction to a seemingly minor issue, they might just have had the worst day of their life.
Wow. A ham in crisis! 20210516
or buy better shoes lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wow. A ham in crisis!   Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 4:42 pm

Seeing as though there are a great deal of old school cb'ers who became radio-am's, I wasn't at all surprised by him using QSK.

In the dark ages (70's), before 'freebanding' became fashionable), it was always "On the side" or "Break" and wait for a call in. However, you didn't have to wait for long to be acknowledged.

Only (expecting a load of flak) I've also sat, quietly listening to Ham skegs (CB for chatting, and I haven't a clue what term is used now) and numerous CQ's that went unanswered, even though the frequency was jammed with everyone and his dog calling.

That and other little tidbits always left me with the impression that some would only talk to "equals within their exclusive little pecking order" and ignore the CQ's from (how to say it) the not so experienced. Which did rile a few, especially they who were 'patted on the head' and told what good little operators they were .

The sarcasm was positively dripping out of the speaker at times.

Yet, all that on one side, he must have been having one hell of a bad day to trash gear.
Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: Wow. A ham in crisis!   Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 5:34 pm

Strange how areas differ. We still use 10 codes and leave Q codes to hams 🤷
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wow. A ham in crisis!   Wow. A ham in crisis! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wow. A ham in crisis!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: