Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
ss9900 power display anytone callsign yaesu 6900 2023 sign chart Sirio lincoln antenna meter ALINCO Mckinley 2022 list president Baofeng call supply Mobile software 9900 frequency
QRZ Database

Calcium Plus Car Batteries

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Calcium Plus Car Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Calcium Plus Car Batteries   Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 7:45 am

OK, I freely admit it, I made a mistake and bought one to run my setup after my long suffering lead acid died of natural causes.

At £37 for a 35ah car battery, what could go wrong!
As it turns out, quite a lot.

For one it requires a higher charging voltage than a standard lead acid battery.
It also has the charging 'outline' which is almost the same as an AGM battery.

And WORSE OF ALL!
My also long suffering, 'once upon a time, intelligent' battery charger won't let the charge voltage run at the recommended 14.7 volts, non pulsed, recon, or trickle charge.

Something my old transformer style beast of a transforming buzzing brick of a battery charger did as standard.

Plus my 13.8 volt 8 amp power pack was only too happy to sit there strapped across the old wet battery keeping it in topped off condition. Only it won't on this technological wonder.

Of course you can buy an intelligent charger that will do all that.
Only the last time I looked I would have to mortgage my soul to buy a half way decent one.

Bitching over, and I'm asking for help.

What do others who own the Calcium+ batteries do to keep them charged.
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

PostSubject: Re: Calcium Plus Car Batteries   Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 9:43 am

I can't help you with your Calcium+ charging woes but I can relate with you on the mod con rubbish.
The last "fancy" battery I bought was sold to me as the bees knees of batteries, it was the "best battery money could buy" it replaced a 7 year old led acid that had been run flat about 5 too many times and lost its mojo.
That fancy pants, bees knees, fandangled, over priced spiral core battery was run down once and never recovered.
Lesson learned (not the don't run your car battery down one) I will never buy another wizz bang battery again.

If I could, I'd buy a fully serviceable, glass led acid battery. I'm beginning getting a hate on for modern tech.

I hope someone chimes in with a simple and cheap solution for you 👍
Calcium Plus Car Batteries Images10

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Calcium Plus Car Batteries   Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 10:17 am

Ah, a modern day battery for all those that have never lifted the bonnet of their car.

Aren't modern "advances" wonderful. Very Happy

Very profitable too, let one of those puppies go flat and you just have to 'simply' buy another. Bet the members of the board and shareholders are rubbing their hands greedily over that one!

No idea I'm afraid Paul, (not much flipping help am I?!)

I'm with Andrew on this one, if you can't open it to top up with deionized water, (I've popped many a 'sealed' battery to do as such), or clean it and replace the acid then I don't really want to know. I'd personally love a good old fashioned Nickel-Iron battery they used on mine lifts of old. Wink

Bit impractical to run an 'Apple' device or some such......but I don't want one of those either!

I know we have a few 'petrol-heads' on here that may know the answer and even some 'tech' geeks that love all that weird chemistry battery stuff. Hopefully they can be of more help.

God I'm a useless old, set-in-my-ways, meh back-in-my-day, sod of a fart if ever there was. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
ILikeRadioSoDoYou

QTH or Location : .
Equipment Used : .

PostSubject: Re: Calcium Plus Car Batteries   Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 10:31 am

Cannot help with specifics of calcium charging.

My humble view, much depends on money you have, if you are comfortable with 20kgs in one hand, and if you can safely carry them strapped up or enclosed in your vehicle as it is illegal to drive a vehicle with free standing lead acid batteries.

Leisure batteries of big capacity are low cost and work well, good for many charge cycles and are not fussy about having a £100.00 charger.

Just don't discharge them too far and don't buy an engine cranking battery.. ensure it is a leisure battery with capability of many charges cycle.

Otherwise get your fat wads out for low Ah's and a silly money expensive charger.

Different ways of doing the same thing. I do laugh at the low Ah's you get on these little batteries for your wads of cash. Pay your money make your choice.

Type in leisure battery of XXX Ah on ebay and take your pick.

I have given mine a total pasting over the last 7 years and they still hold up ok now. I cannot see myself buying the expensive ones either when one dies.

In fact one I have here is a 63Ah cranking battery  and even that has been charged 100 times without issue and still provides approx 200W for a 100W RF power for a day.

The worst thing you can do is drain them down too far... and put them back on charge at soonest possible opportunity.

90-110Ah leisure value batteries are very good value per Ah.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
ILikeRadioSoDoYou

QTH or Location : .
Equipment Used : .

PostSubject: Re: Calcium Plus Car Batteries   Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 10:44 am

Go on ebay <£60.00 for a 90-110Ah (depending on how capacity is measured) leisure battery... any old charger will charge it... you will likely get 5 years out of it you treat it right.. £12 a year money well spent on a hobby.

I don't even want to look how much "advanced" battery @ 110Ah will cost.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Calcium Plus Car Batteries   Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 7:35 pm

Popular theme is everyone hates modern.
And yet again I fit in with the crowd.

However, I have good news.
I got given a VERY old Battery charger today.
Soooo old it didn't have anything more complicated than a bridge rectifier and a variable voltage control 6-15 volts. (8 amps)

Fault? Buzzing.
Cause, de-laminated plates on the transformer.
Fix? fast setting epoxy and a G clamp.
OK, not exactly the perfect fix but beggars can't be choosers.

Stuck it on the new super high tech calcium + thingy and in 3 hours the damn thing was charged!

Got to love low tech. Smile
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Calcium Plus Car Batteries   Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2021 4:28 am

Victor wrote:
Ah, a modern day battery for all those that have never lifted the bonnet of their car.

Very profitable too, let one of those puppies go flat and you just have to 'simply' buy another.

You have to do that with the old type batteries. Once a battery voltage drops below 11.6V you get sulphation occurring which is crystals forming on the lead plates in the battery. If you use the car very regularly you may not notice a problem at first but if you leave it stood for any period of time or usually when there's the first real cold snap in late Autumn that's when you come out to your car to a dead battery.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Calcium Plus Car Batteries   Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2021 5:40 am

Hiya Conor, hope you're well.

Ah, I am so lucky I've never owned a car Wink

I do however own a motorcycle and luckily aware of sulphation in lead acid batteries. During lockdown I often fired my motorcycle up or bought the (tiny in comparison to a car) battery indoors for a charge regularly. I had to sadly watch half the village call out the AA/RAC/Halfords etc. and they must've made a fortune replacing batteries! The first cold snap did indeed see that repeated all over again for those that thought they'd got away with it.

Typical "key in - fuel in" only type of drivers unfortunately.

For radio use I'm with the 'leisure battery' suggestion above, far more suitable than a typical 'starting' battery often found in vehicles.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calcium Plus Car Batteries   Calcium Plus Car Batteries Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Calcium Plus Car Batteries
Page 1 of 1