Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
Green laning Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
Green laning Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
Green laning Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
Green laning Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Green laning Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
Green laning Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
Green laning Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Green laning Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Green laning Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
chart power sign supply display antenna Mobile president lincoln meter frequency ss9900 Sirio anytone ALINCO yaesu 6900 list 2022 Mckinley 2023 9900 Baofeng call software callsign
QRZ Database

Green laning

Go down 
+3
Bean
Captain Fantastic
26uk81
7 posters
AuthorMessage
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 2:41 am

Hello all.

Recently became the owner of a Nissan X Trail T31.   I'm really enjoying the car and it's great for getting up to certain hill tops for radio DX.   I've done a few very rough tracks but I don't like to do it too much on my own as it puts me out of reach of the RAC should anything go wrong!   

I'm trying to find out if there are any 4x4 clubs or just informal groups around the Berks / Wilts area.  Trying to green lane in Oxfordshire seems pretty futile as there are very few byways with motor vehicle access.   Does anyone on here belong to any groups I could join for excursions out on byways?   I don't expect my vehicle to do anything too severe, however it is quite impressive what these X Trails can do when you watch Youtube videos.    It would be nice to be able to go out and play and test the limits of this car with rescue at hand.   

Any green laners out there?   Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Captain Fantastic
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Captain Fantastic

Call Sign : 15-CT-964
QTH or Location : Zurich, Switzerland
Equipment Used : Base: Jackson II + 1/2wave silver rod. Mobile:Albrecht AE 6110 + Little Wil

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 8:35 am

I used to be a green-laner way back in the mid-late 90's. It is why I got a CB in the first place. We had an informal off road club called the Anoraks based around one of those old newsgroups that preceded forums as we know them today (uk.rec.cars.4x4).
After we moved abroad I had to give it up as there are really no green lanes here. So the CB also went into a box and I looked at it every couple of years. The last year I properly got the CB back out and here I am today!

Given today's interest in all things 'green and sustainable' I doubt whether there is much off roading to be had in the UK? I recall in the late 90's there was lots of talk and action on shutting byways to motor traffic.
Back to top Go down
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 9:09 am

Have you tried the Ox Drove at Win Green ?, its a great radio spot and plenty of green lane track ( haven't been there for 6 years so check for verhicle access)
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 4:23 pm

Green laners in 4x4s should be shot. Living in a rural county with a lot of them all they do is ruin them for everyone else as they take great delight going out when or after it's been raining and churning them up, making them basically impassable for anyone else on foot, horse or bike.

Razz229 likes this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2021 12:51 am

Northern Crusader wrote:
Green laners in 4x4s should be shot. Living in a rural county with a lot of them all they do is ruin them for everyone else as they take great delight going out when or after it's been raining and churning them up, making them basically impassable for anyone else on foot, horse or bike.

I wish to simply drive in a calm, legal and considerate manner on byways open to motor vehicles.   I should be shot for this?   If I wanted to "mud plug" I would go to a proper 4x4 activity centre, contrary to your angry and generalised rant.

And presumably Ray, you never use byways when you go hill topping?
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2021 1:19 am

Northern Crusader wrote:
I don't think it's fair to tar all green laners with the same brush.
Like every hobby or sport there's a minority that ruin it for the rest by giving their chosen activity a bad reputation.

I see it where I live, there is a dedicated 4x4 park near me called Jakem Farm, it attracts dozens of 4x4 enthusiasts every weekend during the cooler months. Some who go there are so helbent on getting their vehicles covered in mud before and after they arrive, they deviate off the surrounding roads through every mud hole they can find leaving enormous holes that would swallow up a regular car.
You can usually pick those ones from the crowd, they get their vehicle covered in mud and don't wash it off for days or weeks, instead they wear it like a badge of honour.

As a owner of a 4x4 and someone who enjoys getting off the beaten track, those people annoy me. I don't like chopping up roads and tracks because I know that they can go un repaired for years leaving locals and emergency services with appalling track conditions, its just disrespectful to other road users.

glenn dog and 26uk81 like this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2021 1:27 am

Hotel Zulu 253 wrote:
Northern Crusader wrote:
I don't think it's fair to tar all green laners with the same brush.
Like every hobby or sport there's a minority that ruin it for the rest by giving their chosen activity a bad reputation.

I see it where I live, there is a dedicated 4x4 park near me called Jakem Farm, it attracts dozens of 4x4 enthusiasts every weekend during the cooler months. Some who go there are so helbent on getting their vehicles covered in mud before and after they arrive, they deviate off the surrounding roads through every mud hole they can find leaving enormous holes that would swallow up a regular car.
You can usually pick those ones from the crowd, they get their vehicle covered in mud and don't wash it off for days or weeks, instead they wear it like a badge of honour.

As a owner of a 4x4 and someone who enjoys getting off the beaten track, those people annoy me. I don't like chopping up roads and tracks because I know that they can go un repaired for years leaving locals and emergency services with appalling track conditions, its just disrespectful to other road users.

What vehicle do you drive?   I've noticed that X Trails seem popular over there.
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2021 10:48 am

For getting away, I have a GU Nissan patrol 4.2 Turbo diesel because I wanted the basic reliability of an old tractor with enough room to pack for weeks away at a time
X Trails are definitely popular, the other popular ones at the moment are Ford Ranger, Nissan Navara. There's seemingly endless new SUV's entering the market now but dual cab 4x4 sports utility's are all the rage in Australia, every man and his dog seems to have one.
Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a CRT Space U, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2021 12:30 pm

26uk81 wrote:
Northern Crusader wrote:

I wish to simply drive in a calm, legal and considerate manner on byways open to motor vehicles.   I should be shot for this?   If I wanted to "mud plug" I would go to a proper 4x4 activity centre, contrary to your angry and generalised rant.

You presume right Chris. I don't use byways when i go hill topping.
Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2021 2:34 pm

Razz229 wrote:
26uk81 wrote:
Northern Crusader wrote:

Congratulations, what a wonderful citizen you are.
Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a CRT Space U, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2021 2:19 am

26uk81 wrote:
Razz229 wrote:
26uk81 wrote:
Northern Crusader wrote:

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor but the highest form of flattery. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2021 2:35 am

Razz229 wrote:
26uk81 wrote:
Razz229 wrote:
26uk81 wrote:
Northern Crusader wrote:

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humor but the highest form of flattery. Very Happy

Well if you are happy DXing from public car parks surrounded by chavs in Corsas and doggers then best of luck to ya.   I will continue to enjoy driving sensibly  up (legal) tracks and getting away from it all.  If I can annoy rambler types in the process by my existence then even better.   Hopefully the "Crusader" does not possess a firearm and is unable to travel without supervision.
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2021 4:35 am

It'll be interesting to see where your green laning takes you.
I'm out and about today, getting amongst it Green laning 20210520

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2021 6:09 am

Made a couple of "local" contacts while mobile and managed to hit a UHF repeater about 80 km away, I'm happy with that.
Its great to get out. How's the gigantic chickens!!!
Green laning 20210523
Green laning 20210521
Green laning 20210522
Back to top Go down
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Call Sign : 26ct2767
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Swindon
Equipment Used : Yaesu ft818 , yaesu 8900r , yaesu ft950, stalker 9

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 7:29 am

My main hobby is green Laning in my disco 2, planning a week trip into Wales in August .

Il uploaded pictures later ,

Hotel Zulu 253 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 9:14 am

Green laning Img_2012

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 10:50 am

Sweet rig... needs more antennas though 😉

Matt86 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 12:54 pm

Green laning Img_2014

Back to top Go down
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 12:56 pm

out for a couple of  hours yesterday and found a river crossing Green laning Img_2015

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 12:58 pm

Thats a decent bath, great picture!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Green laning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green laning   Green laning Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Green laning
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: