Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» halo may I get callsign at Charlie tanggo Dx club..thank you
Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeToday at 12:48 pm by iherup888

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeToday at 5:11 am by John H

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeToday at 3:01 am by Tarot

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Information requested)
Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeToday at 1:54 am by GaryWilson

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION
Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeToday at 1:06 am by BlueZinc

» New call sign request (Issued)
Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeToday at 12:00 am by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:03 pm by Nightprowler

» EU conditions have started
Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:18 pm by babis3g

» New callsing request
Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:05 pm by Miliko

Keywords
yaesu chart president 2022 sign Baofeng supply call display anytone ALINCO Sirio power antenna Mckinley 9900 6900 software Mobile list frequency ss9900 callsign meter 2023 lincoln
QRZ Database

Testing new set up before going live

Go down 
+2
Alan Pilot
Tigerpaws
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tigerpaws

Call Sign : 26-CT-4054
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Basingstoke
Equipment Used : CRT Xenon

Testing new set up before going live Empty
PostSubject: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2021 3:28 pm

I am waiting for confirmation of my Foundation exam and ready to test my new 6900. Can I test this using the dummy to check SWR meter is working correctly?
How do I know if I need an RF Filter?
Thanks in advance
Alan
CT4054
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2021 3:54 pm

Don't understand the bit "waiting for confirmation of my foundation exam".
The 6900 is a cb more than amature radio so you can test it on the 11m band without a licence.?
Unless it's not opened up to export mode.
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2021 6:24 pm

agree is a cb that can be opened just do not go on 10m untill you pass the test, and when you pass not many will use the 6900. so you would have missed all the great contacts the propagation has been realy good, get on enjoy the chans even when you pass still use the export radio, hell i am a ham to but more on the cb radios with exported freqs, i have two magnums one for11meters and free band usb and lsb freqs and one for midband and 10m and 12m to
Back to top Go down
Tigerpaws

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2021 9:32 pm

When I joined the Charlie Tango club I was advised to purchase the 6900n, I didn't need just a CD as I already had one which means I was given the wrong advice. Therefore, did I make the right choice in joining this group  I asked for some advice but if all I get is criticism then it is the wrong group to be a member of.

If you don't understand what I mean about waiting for my Foundation Exam, this means I have applied for it and waiting for the date to take the exam.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 12:49 am

But you book and pick your date then pay the fee all at the same time.
OR do you mean that your are going to do the Essex-ham course could that be it.
If it is the latter then that is a course and not the exam you book that with the RSGB on there site.
Regarding advice to buy a 6900n well this is more of a CB forum with a bit of Ham throne in.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 1:02 am

Hi Alan (Tigerpaws),

I remember you asking a little while ago for advice on a radio for DX that included AM/FM/SSB. You were actually offered several helpful suggestions by a few members on the forum before announcing the radio you had decided on.

Link to the original posting and discussion here :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t2947-advice-needed-please#22152

That particular model of radio is capable of transmission on the unlicensed 11m or CB frequencies meaning you can freely transmit with it on 11m testing it as much as you like. It can also transmit on the 10m or 28MHz plus frequencies where you will need a Radio Amateur licence to legally transmit there. (If suitably programmed as such, hence the 'Export Mode' reference.) Indeed, you had made mention of undertaking the Foundation Amateur Radio course in pursuit of such a licence elsewhere on the forum.

In regards the query concerning your Foundation exam confirmation, many of us have taken this exam over recent months so experienced the process ourselves. The online exam slot which includes date and time is usually booked and paid for by yourself so confirmation of the exam is known immediately.

The only way I can see you having to wait for 'confirmation' of your examination is if it is being booked through an Amateur Radio club or similar organisation. That may be the reason for the query with which only you can provide answers to.

So far I have only witnessed members of Charlie Tango doing their very best to help out a fellow member and cannot see any example of criticism you mention. Advice has been freely offered and questions have been asked to clarify any query you have, nothing more.

Despite any advice received or research we undertake in pursuit of a goal, any decision we make is ultimately our own.

It can be a quite tentative experience when we are learning things new and find ourselves sensitive to any further confusion we may experience. I am hoping that this was simply the case here.

All the best,
Victor

C.T. Adimn.

Sydthecat, Alan Pilot and bubbles like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 1:12 am

Hi Alan - TIGERPAWS.

Just had a little look back at your initial post provided by Victor.

You clearly said;
"" I have recently joined the CT group after a break from using a CB for many years.   i am looking to get into DX again but not sure which would be the best set to purchase. I think a set with AM/FM/USB/SSB would be ok but which make or model ""

As you clearly stated a break from CB – Nothing to do with Amateur radio? I would have to as how anyone on this forum failed you with regard to advice?

I find it rather disheartening when I read comments such as yours when people on this forum take time out of their own busy lives to answer your question and you reply with comments designed to annoy or dishearten those who may have provided advice to you.

Perhaps your initial question should have been regarding Amateur Radio, Not CB.

Sydthecat, Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 12:59 pm

When i applied for my foundation exam i had to wait but only a split second while my index finger pressed the mouse button.
Sorry for that but i just reread your post slagging us all off for just trying to help by responding to a question.
If you had said Ham radio i would have said ft991a but i am spoilt with mine.
Victor remove this if you feel the need.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tigerpaws

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 1:44 pm

Firstly let me apologise for my comments it was not my intention to alienate fellow members. Maybe I should have worded my requests better.  

I used CB (777) in 70/80s in the UK and whilst driving around Europe.  Now I want to get back after 40 years but progress into Amateur Radio/Ham Radio. I have registered with RSGB, booked and paid for my first exam but not received details confirming date and time.

It is my hope to make contact with other members and once i get my licence to make friends around the world.

Again sorry if my comments upset anyone

Sydthecat, Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 2:22 pm

Hi Alan, (Tigerpaws),

I am sure that this has all been a misunderstanding and as I suggested earlier possibly down to frustrations of the learning experience. Other members as well as myself will certainly appreciate your sentiments.

I remember in your introduction and maybe around the forum your past experience with CB radio and your enthusiasm to return to it all as well as your interest in becoming a licenced Amateur.

May I express my concerns with your RSGB interaction so far. If you have booked an online examination you usually pick a date and then a time for your particular examination required, (in this case Foundation), and on all being paid for will be confirmed immediately.

You are not required to register or even join the RSGB to book such an examination. If you have parted with money I would seriously suggest that you haven't inadvertantly or otherwise joined and paid for a membership to the RSGB, it simply not being required. 

There were some problems with confirmation and payment systems in the past so it may also be wise to see if you have actually booked anything. A peruse of your card statements will give you some insight, the Foundation examination being a cost of £27:50. (A figure of £60 I believe is a years membership - again it is NOT required.)

The RSGB are quite approachable if you have enquiries via email as well as telephone, they will certainly help you out if there have been any problems.

You are still a welcome member of the Charlie Tango community and am sure that others, although tentatively now, will still be available for help.

Forums and the written word can be a difficult place.....for example, "You say Tomato and I say Tomato" just simply doesn't work. Wink

Seriously though, check up on your examination with the RSGB as there may be some oversight.

All the best,
Victor

C.T. Admin.
Back to top Go down
Tigerpaws

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 2:28 pm

Thank you for your message. I have checked my past emails and found one confirming my exam application and payment for same. My exam is booked for June 27th at 11:00/12:30
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 2:33 pm

Great stuff Alan. Testing new set up before going live 1f44d 

May I wish you the best of luck with your forthcoming exam.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Tigerpaws

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 3:13 pm

Thank you very much Victor

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 4:15 pm

Glad you looked and got it sorted out Alan.
I nearly joined the RSGB at the time i booked my exam but came on here and our Victor put me right.
Went back and picked the date and time i wanted and paid the money and i got my confirmation email straight away but sometimes mail like this will go into the junk folder so always worth looking in there.
   Regards
             Alan.
ps. We all like to help if we can.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

Call Sign : 26-CT-3433
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Hull
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 88s + crt 9900+5/8 gain master

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 9:17 pm

hi alan,just to answer the question,i have used my crt ss 9900 on 10m with a sirio gainmaster.Just pass your exam,turn down to 10watts,check SWR and have a ball.
regards
mark
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Testing new set up before going live   Testing new set up before going live Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Testing new set up before going live
Page 1 of 1