Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New Member (Issued)
base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeToday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeToday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeToday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeToday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeToday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:41 am by Razz229

» South Coast PMR net report
base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeToday at 8:14 am by Razz229

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

Keywords
ss9900 call 6900 president power Mobile supply 2022 antenna frequency ALINCO Baofeng sign chart display list anytone 9900 Sirio 2023 software callsign Mckinley yaesu meter lincoln
QRZ Database

Base microphone

Go down 
+5
Anf
glenn dog
Victor
Alan Pilot
26ct954
9 posters
AuthorMessage
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-954, M7PLD..
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ellesmere Port
Equipment Used : icom 718,cobweb,anytone 667,

base - Base microphone  Empty
PostSubject: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 7:03 am

What's a reasonable priced base microphone to use with a icom-718..
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 8:45 am

I sold a 718 2 weeks ago and it had a base mic with it.
It was a pretty basic Icom one but i had good audio reports with it.
They are around £70 new but can't remember the model number.base - Base microphone  Mic10
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 11:21 am

Hi Chris,

Hope you're keeping well and enjoying that 'ticket'. base - Base microphone  1f44d 

I'm not a fan of desk mics myself but I suppose that's all down to how they're used.

You tend to hear the clack of a keyboard, (on the same desk), as they look you up on QRZ, often no one talks directly into them so volume of voice is a bit up and down and you tend to hear the background noise of the operators dog snoring or their missus screaming upstairs that they're wiping the TV out again! Very Happy Wink

Depends on what you call a 'reasonable' price really?
(Some think Heil products are very reasonable!)

You'll always pay a premium for anything with a brand name on them.

Often the 'plug-and-play' aspect is more important.

If you're that way inclined you can rewire a typical USB desk mic up, it utilises the same technology as in an electret capsule microphone element typically used on the Icom's. I've heard some European operators use such setups with fantastic audio on their signal. These are often much cheaper at the £15 - £20 mark but as mentioned you'd have to adapt/modify/rewire it yourself.

I'm sure that there's someone out there that rewires such microphones for use but can't remember the details off hand.
If I remember the specifics I'll post up on here.

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog and 26ct954 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 1:40 pm

I have never been a fan of the desk mic, never used one so can't say for sure why I do not like them, but it just seems to professional for Cb and Dxing on 11 M, I like the mic in the hand and thats about it.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 2:58 pm

I'm with you Glenn, I think a dynamic fist mic is the perfect choice and my own preference.

I found the desk mic details I was trying to think of Chris but unfortunately the guy is in the USA. He does sell through eBay but it'd cost just as much again in postage & taxes(!!!)

Not much help I'm afraid but I hope you find something that suits your budget and needs.

Keep us abreast and if I come across anything else I'll let you know.

glenn dog, 26ct954 and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
Anf
Anf

Call Sign : 26-CT-4146
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : South Wiltshire
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS-570D and Alinco DX-10 + Venom Vertical And 80ft Horizontal Random Wire

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2021 10:18 pm

I like a desk mike looking for one for my Kenwood BUT have noticed anything Kenwood is a bit pricey....Got an Echo Master Plus here not connected to anything....Always ad a desk mike back in the 80s

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2021 6:06 am

Hi Antony,

The big name brands can set you back a fair amount of cash nowadays, some shockingly so!

You could always rewire your Echo Master for your Kenwood or sell it to put towards another desk mic. These old mics can command higher prices than expected, (Radio world have a second hand unit listed at over £100!), and some like to source them as collectibles.

Be warned that modern lower priced desk mics are pretty much all plastic though and just won't 'feel' as good as an old metal chassis mic.

I've known radio operators using the old Sadelta's and such but they usually have the echo turned off/down and any 'roger beep' disabled if using them on the Amateur bands. (Seems to enrage some Hams senseless! Very Happy)

Anyway, hope that's of some help.

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2021 10:24 am

Probably the most reasonably priced is iCom's SM30, whcih I use on my 9700.  however, for HF, I have always favoured headphones with mic (I use Heil, with the iCom specific element) and a foot switch or VOX.

Personal choice, of course....and I'm even considering a headset on the 9700 too.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Anf
Anf

Call Sign : 26-CT-4146
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : South Wiltshire
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS-570D and Alinco DX-10 + Venom Vertical And 80ft Horizontal Random Wire

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2021 12:35 pm

Yeah could rewire but I'm a bit heavy handed with a soldering iron, Not sure I'd feel comfortable trusting me sticking my really hot iron in that small area lmao Laughing . it has been round the block a few times bit tatty, wouldn't mind a nice shinny mic on my nice shinny Kenwood lol ....But they do feel much more robust i agree...

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2021 12:13 am

I like the Adonis AM-308 mikes used them for over 20 years now on most radio including my Icom radio.
But also on Yaesu, Alinco Kenwood radios in the past.
smashing audio reports.
Mark.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2021 6:36 am

A5H5ATAN1C
How does your post help the op pick a base mic.
If people understood what you are saying at all then they wouldn't be asking the question in the first place.
Sorry in advance.
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2021 10:22 am

I believe that A5H5ATAN1C is saying that a microphone that works well for one person won't necessarily work well for another.
Some peoples voices modulate extremely well and others need a microphone that helps give their voice some more punch.
I have experienced that for myself playing with different microphones and having someone else use my equipment.

I had a friend who had a voice for the radio, he could make the needle bounce off the limiter by just talking normally into the microphone yet my voice couldn't replicate that.
It was interesting to see especially considering I don't have a meek or quite voice by any means.
Reading A5H5ATAN1C posts definitely tests the grey matter, he's obviously one smart cookie who knows his subject extremely well. I like reading his posts, often it ends up with me researching more to better understand what he is saying when it gets above my head.

richf likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2021 11:04 am

To me some is a bit too testical for a cb at heart forum but that's just me.
A lot will be over most head's and as you said we can always do some more homework if inclined.
Not explaining myself very well here but i personally stop reading after 2 lines or so.???????
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2021 3:43 pm

I hate contests no point and go on tooooo long.
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 11:41 am

I didn't know there was any other way to run a radio than squelch open.
I can see the point of contests, but doubt I'd ever engage in one. 99% of my time spent on the radio is spent just listening, often I'll go for weeks without hitting the ptt switch.
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 5:21 pm

Is this what this Forum has come to now?

Slagging each other off with cheap insults incorporated into long-winded exaggeration?

As for any observation about suitably in a 'CB at heart' forum, grow up ffs. Wherever this forum started as, it's clearly grown beyond the CB playpen and as the more mature CB users eventually came to realise, half the BS they swallowed over the years from CB experts was either valid where stolen or invented BS that was more PT Barnum than literal lies. You may not want to recognise it, or accept it, but CB radio doesn't exist in a magical existence with it's own Minecraft like pseudo reality and physics tailored to the peusdo existence governing the reality within.

Not somewhere I think I like to visit anymore.

Victor and richf like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 5:36 pm

You should have seen the comments I've already had to delete Graeme, let alone that I've already given a warning about such attitudes.

It's still all in discussion with the admin team.

Charlie Tango has always been about embracing everyone who's interest lays in radio regardless of their background or level of interest.

Unfortunately this can often lead to abuse.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 6:00 pm

*********************************************************************************
ADMIN MODERATION TAKEN EFFECT
*********************************************************************************

Please see the Charlie Tango Rules at the following link :-

This thread is now locked. 

The original poster Chris 26CT954 has received plenty of helpful replies to his original request and I hope he has some answers or direction to his query.

Unfortunately this posting has taken a direction for the worse on several occasions and is therefore locked plus subject to further editing and/or deletion.

This decision has not been taken lightly but has occurred after a serious number of complaints that have now been made.

The member responsible for this downturn on the forum of late should take this as a final warning. Such provocative postings will no longer be tolerated and they face the consequence of being suspended or permanently banned from membership of the forum.

Victor

C.T. Admin.

Sydthecat, John123, Razz229, Paddy, 43CT016 and Anf like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Base microphone    base - Base microphone  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Base microphone
Page 1 of 1