Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
anytone Mobile 6900 9900 ALINCO lincoln ss9900 power 2023 yaesu call antenna supply frequency callsign Sirio Baofeng software Mckinley 2022 display meter president list sign chart
QRZ Database

do we still use handles on local fm??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

do we still use handles on local fm?? Empty
PostSubject: do we still use handles on local fm??   do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 8:48 pm

Back in the ancient days , we used to use our Handle, can you guess that mine was Barefoot (because I never used an amp). listening to locals now all I hear is 
" are you on ere John ?"

Back in the day it was "Breaker 19 barefoot calling on 19" or something similar??

Your ideas please? as I plan to be calling on CEPT FM Tomorrow mobile??

Cheers Tony
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: do we still use handles on local fm??   do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 9:05 pm

Hi BEARFOOT,Back in the day I was Chickenfoot and for the life of me I can’t remember why..I do have all my toes..lol
The days of ‘One the side’ or ‘Breaker 19’ are sadly a thing of the past as it’s all CQ CQ or CQ DX CQ DX if your that lucky because there’s a lift on.Our Italian friends love Breako Breako.
Personally I just stick with CQ CQ and my callsign even on the muppets which doesn’t always go down that well.BEARFOOT have you been on the CEPT FM today because the band id buzzing with activity,I’m actually getting bleed over from them and I’m on a net on LSB.
I’ll quickly say that ATU 100 Is amazing and thanks for the advice.
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: do we still use handles on local fm??   do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 9:23 pm

Not many locals using handles around here, but then there aren't many very close locals on at all. I did recognise one distinctive voice from 30 years distant past soon after coming back to CB, QSK'd in and politely asked if it was (gave his handle as I remembered it) and he laughed, said I was right, but he hadn't used that name for a long time as he just used (gave a callsign) now.

When the skip's running I have put out a "this is CT3971 near Gloucester, anyone by?" (my nearest city), and have had a few come back to me from the north and Scotland. No one has every come back to me on there from my town or anywhere else close though.
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI

PostSubject: Re: do we still use handles on local fm??   do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 9:44 pm

Ok, thought as much, will use CQ CT3692 without the 26 prefix, and see what happens, will be mobile tomorrow in Mid Cheshire shouting on 19 CEPT 27.185 FM and may also try CH14 AM 27.125

Hope something happens???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: do we still use handles on local fm??   do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 9:45 pm

Chickenfoot@1987 wrote:
I’ll quickly say that ATU 100 Is amazing and thanks for the advice.
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029
Thanks Tom, glad you find it as useful as I do

Cheers Tony
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: do we still use handles on local fm??   do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 9:54 pm

Hello Tony,

You do still hear handles being used on the UK40. I find it is mainly by long time CBers who have never left the hobby and still use cb for a chit-chat as it was intended. If people ragchew on a regular basis, they will just use their first name as they recognise each others voices.

Other than that it is call-signs. If I am chatting locally, I tend to drop the prefix and just use my unit number. Ie "QSK 763 John."

In some ways it is a shame as it was part of the fun and unique to cb radio. Ironically handles do live on, as most people have them for Internet forums. It is just that they are called user names and are accompanied by an avatar.👍
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: do we still use handles on local fm??   do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2021 8:46 am

John123 wrote:
Hello Tony,

You do still hear handles being used on the UK40. I find it is mainly by long time CBers who have never left the hobby and still use cb for a chit-chat as it was intended. If people ragchew on a regular basis, they will just use their first name as they recognise each others voices.

Other than that it is call-signs. If I am chatting locally, I tend to drop the prefix and just use my unit number. Ie "QSK 763 John."

In some ways it is a shame as it was part of the fun and unique to cb radio. Ironically handles do live on, as most people have them for Internet forums. It is just that they are called user names and are accompanied by an avatar.👍
Thanks John,

I agree it is a shame as it was a big part of the fun, back the old days. Something I have yearned to get back to but would need a time Machine now Laughing

I use Barefoot as my user name on here, so Im following most people as you say.

And to add insult to injury, I have had to cancel my trip as Im feeling unwell this morning ( I am used to this now so it is not a big disappointment) But with Storms on the way may have to disconnect the antennas also Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: do we still use handles on local fm??   do we still use handles on local fm?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

do we still use handles on local fm??
Page 1 of 1