Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
9900 callsign Baofeng antenna president anytone yaesu Mobile display ALINCO call sign ss9900 list chart software lincoln 2022 meter Mckinley 6900 supply power frequency Sirio 2023
QRZ Database

Mobile antenna suggestion’s

Go down 
+4
stephen Gunrunner
Sgt Bilko
John123
Alan Pilot
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Mobile antenna suggestion’s Empty
PostSubject: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2021 8:16 pm

Hello Everyone and hoot your all well,
I’m just putting together a static mobile set up and so far have the radio,A CRT Xenon which has export bands Fm,Am and mids etc etc even 10 meters but I don’t hold a license for that so I’ll keep well away.
What I’m asking is can I have a few suggestions for a good mobile antenna,I’m not planning on drilling any holes into my new paintwork so a 7” mag mount has been purchased and to be honest what I paid for it the large springer that came with it is a freebie.I’ll try the springer to see what it’s like but I’m not holding my hopes high on the performance front,With their being no SWR adjustment etc etc.I’m not using my new atu tuner on that..lol
So what it a good performing antenna for a bit if DXing that uses a 3/8 attachment.Let me know please on what you have used or are using and what size etc I should be aiming for.
Thanks again Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2021 8:26 pm

Sirio 4000 or 5000 are good.
I have this one (first advert i found).
https://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-antenna-kits/sirio-ml145-mag-kit.html

John123 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2021 8:31 pm

Cheers Alan,I’ll check those two out now.I use a Sirio 27 gpe home base antenna and can’t praise the manufacturer enough,They certain seem to make great antenna’s.
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2021 11:43 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Sirio 4000 or 5000 are good.
I have this one (first advert i found).
https://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-antenna-kits/sirio-ml145-mag-kit.html

+1 on the 4000 and 5000.👍

Rjbingham likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 7:42 am

I posted about my 4000 the other day how it had been left in the boot for 3 years + abused by all sorts including my mobility scooter being rammed in there.
I took it out and stuck it on the BBQ and tested it had nothing else to do lol.
27.555 Is where i sti when i do manage to get up in the hill's so i set my aerials there.
And this is the SWR after all the abuse.Mobile antenna suggestion’s 1_to_011

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 8:33 am

Alan pictures speak louder then words and still with a SWR of 1.02.👍🏻
I think I’ve already made my mind up.
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Sgt Bilko
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sgt Bilko

Call Sign : 108 ct 302 - mm0ibe
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Prestonpans. East Lothian
Equipment Used : SS9900

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 10:42 am

I use to have a President Texas. It was / is the best mobile i have ever used. Discontinued now but i have one coming from the States. They are usually PL - SO239 mount but the one from the states is 3/8 thread. Next best thing in this country is the President Colorado. My Texas out performed the Sirio's, the original 7ft Firestik, Predator 10k and a 9ft tank whip which were all mine and tested against the Texas at the seafront on the same radio / power / mount to the same operator 10 miles away.

CB MOBILE ANTENNA PRESIDENT COLORADO 1800W Power – P J Box

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 12:06 pm

Thanks Sgt Bilko,I’ll definitely be looking into everyone’s helpful advice before parting with the folding stuff..😆
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 1:04 pm

Just a word of caution, Tom. If you decide on a Sirio, make sure you buy from a reputable trader as there were a lot of copies being sold and they are nothing like as good as the genuine article.

Sgt Bilko, glenn dog and Rjbingham like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 2:43 pm

Thanks John123,I was told about that before I bought my Sirio homebase antenna.I’ll definitely keep that in mind and only buy from a reputable trader.EBay might be good for saving a few Bob but you certainly run the risk of getting a knock off item.I had that problem years ago when I bought a set of H.T leads for the van.Never again and lesson learnt.
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 3:24 pm

Another thing as well.
On the mag-mount check the coax connection in the base they can be a bit dodgy common fault.

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 12:58 am

One of my favourite dx contacts from back in the day, using my Sirio 4000 static mobile:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 1:10 am

Fantastic bit of DX..👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
John123 wrote:
One of my favourite dx contacts from back in the day, using my Sirio 4000 static mobile:

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 4:32 pm

try a tri mag mount and the sirio 4000 and 5000 are big antennas a a tri mag mount the one on my car 120+ mph never moves and if you buy a new antenna there should be a little yellow scratch card and scratch the silver of and you go to the sirio site and it will tell you fake or a good
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2021 12:32 pm

and try to get a radio that has all the legal freqs fm am and ssb, as most got ssb freqs now as thats all they use, and to be up a hill with fm and am and no ssb could be a very quiet day, they are 10m radios and exported to get all the freqs and ssb and if its cheap to good a bargin just buy from good dealers, there is a few but i will not name good luck good dx and you never know one day a good contact up here
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2021 5:41 pm

Thanks Stephen Gunner,For the Antenna I settled on 2.The Sirio 5000 and a 9 foot 1/4 wave tank whip which should be fine for static mobile using my 7 inch mag mount.I’ll run the little rig off my cigarette lighter for now until I need to get a leisure battery and otter bits and pieces..🤓
Thanks for the great advice as it’s always greatly appreciated.The Charlie Tango Forum will take some beating with its expertise and knowledge.
Six months ago you could have hit me over the head with a Common mode choke and I still wouldn’t have known what it was..lol. Cheers Lads.👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2021 2:35 am

For static mobile for DXing get a painters pole or similar telescopic pole and make a dipole for the 11m band. Use the pole tied to a fence or similar as a support for the dipole center and bring the legs down at an angle to form an inverted V. That'll work better for DX than a vertical.

Sotabeams.co.uk have some fantastic pre-made portable antenna.

Model Maker and TamGlasgow like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2021 7:24 am

Thanks Northern Crusader.👍🏻
Back to top Go down
Mudslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26CT612
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : West Oxfordshire
Equipment Used : Various SSB sets

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 pm

The big Sirios are hard to beat, but for a lower cost and minimal performance loss the Original Modulators are a great antenna also.

Model Maker likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 4:40 pm

Cheers Mudslinger,I’ll check of those modulators,I think my uncle had one way back in the 90’s and said they really did the business.
Tom.
Back to top Go down
Mudslinger
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 9:58 am

You can still buy them new on ebay. I would tend to avoid the copies such as the ones Thunderpole, as they are not actually any cheaper.

I have had some really good contacts on mine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 10:04 am

You know Mudslinger I was actually looking at the Thunderpole ones last night.Didn’t know they were copies..lol
I’ll do a bit of EBay scanning later.
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a CRT Space U, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2021 5:36 pm

Gonna throw in my 2 pence worth

I use use a Sirio 4000 when mobile/static mobile

Ray
Back to top Go down
Mudslinger
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2021 6:04 pm

Chickenfoot@1987 wrote:
You know Mudslinger  I was actually looking at the Thunderpole ones last night.Didn’t know they were copies..lol
I’ll do a bit of EBay scanning later.
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154411741254?hash=item23f3a83046:g:7PcAAOSwLoZfK~kl
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2021 6:06 pm

Cheers Ray,In the end I went with 2 antenna’s for static mobile work.A 9 foot 1/4 wave tank whip and the Sirio P5000.When things get tough in Blackheath with the old QRM,At least I’ll be able to head for the hills.You never know we might even have a better QSO on your Southern Net..🤣
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mobile antenna suggestion’s   Mobile antenna suggestion’s Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mobile antenna suggestion’s
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next