Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitimeToday at 10:47 pm by Lynton

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitimeToday at 11:59 am by SangueG

» South Coast PMR net report
radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitimeToday at 8:43 am by Razz229

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by John123

» New call sign request (Issued)
radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

Keywords
supply Baofeng display Mobile 9900 chart meter anytone antenna power 2023 yaesu Mckinley ss9900 sign Sirio ALINCO president 2022 list lincoln 6900 software call frequency callsign
QRZ Database

Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Empty
PostSubject: Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts)   radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi All,

Hope you're keeping well and above all enjoying your radio. radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) 1f44d 

Recently I came across a story on the ARRL, (American Radio Relay League), covering the Centenary celebration of an Arctic exploring Schooner sailing vessel :-

http://www.arrl.org/news/sailing-vessel-with-ham-radio-history-marks-100-years

There were many such explorations at that time often equipped with early radios who also conducted radio experiments.
The one I fondly remember the story of is the 'Effie M. Morrissey' which began her maiden Arctic voyage in 1926 and continued doing so for a subsequent number of years.

Why the Morrissey? Well take a look at a magazine from back then albeit a few years later.....
radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Radio_10

The front cover of a typical radio interest magazine of its day which included the following 'spot' or place to listen for all the radio operators out there....

radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Radio_11

Have a look down the lower right and look for the then call sign of W10XDA noting it's frequency.......27.100Mhz! Smile
(Or rather M/cs, MegaCycles as it would have been known then.)

Yeah, always stuck in my memory just for their choice in operating frequency. Wink

They also sent cards out to people that had either listened and reported their radio activity or even indeed transmitted back to them......
radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) W10xda10
radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) W10xda11

Fantastic stuff eh? Remind you of anything? Wink

The 'Morrissey' also reported back then on one of it's voyages that,

"While located along the northern coast of Baffin Island a very large black sunspot was noted, the resultant emanation from the sun caused a sensational manifestation of the Aurora Borealis Northern Lights and also a total radio blackout that lasted for two weeks."

Yeah, made my hairs on the back of my neck, (there's not much on my head!), stand to attention too. Very Happy

If I haven't bored you enough and you maybe want to find out more about some radio history here's a few links :-

https://ukspec.tripod.com/rf/cb/index.html

https://worldradiohistory.com/index.htm

...and a brief write up on the 'Morrissey' here :-

http://mt-shortwave.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-greenland-story-good-ship-morrissey.html

Well anyway, after so many years of radio history you'd have thought it'd ALL be 'radio' and we'd embrace every other upright monkey whose brain sparks at the mere mention of radio too.

At least we do here at Charlie Tango, "The home of ALL things Radio".

All the best,
Victor

John123 and Razz229 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts)   radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 11:54 am

Nice find, Victor.👍

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Paddy
CT Directors
CT Directors
Paddy

Call Sign : 26CT2727
Times Thanked : 54
QTH or Location : Stockport
Equipment Used : Icom 7300. Icom 705, Yaesu FTM400XD and a Yaesu FT70.

PostSubject: Re: Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts)   radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 2:58 am

Fantastic Victor, thank you. A lot to look in to their.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts)   radio - Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Early Radio Days & Arctic Expeditions (Plus a few thoughts)
Page 1 of 1