Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:27 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:21 pm by Vasilis

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:15 pm by FreqFreak

» NATO 2000 Restoration
How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeToday at 11:49 am by GaryWilson

» New Member (Issued)
How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» what was your first radio and antenna
How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 am by Razz229

Keywords
Baofeng meter Sirio yaesu president 2022 sign callsign software ss9900 Mckinley frequency chart ALINCO display 2023 call antenna list lincoln supply 6900 Mobile power anytone 9900
QRZ Database

How many ham radio operators in each country?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

How many ham radio operators in each country? Empty
PostSubject: How many ham radio operators in each country?   How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 8:54 pm

Does anyone know of an up to date or fairly up to date list of licenced operators in each country?

There are a few lists on the net including on wikipedia, but all, including that one have some old data in them. With the wiki one for example it shows some data from 2020/2021, but many country's data are older. The UK stats are from pre-Covid lockdown and for sure they will be higher now.

Particularly interested in the countries or islands that have the least amount of operators on so I can keep the ear 'oles open for them.

Something I have noticed on all lists is that Italy does not have as high numbers as I expected it to have. I understand the US being at the top because of the geographic size and population, plus they have a entry level licence as we do, but just just like on CB there does seem to be many Ham operators from Italy active.
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

PostSubject: Re: How many ham radio operators in each country?   How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 10:38 pm

Not really the answer to your question but....https://clublog.org/mostwanted.php
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: How many ham radio operators in each country?   How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 10:47 pm

Hi Neal,

The problem with record keeping is no one seems to take responsibility for it!! Wink

I think Ofcom buggered up when they hadn't accounted for deceased operators and the numbers were wildly out. I'm sure a similar story occurred in other countries.

As you've probably seen the numbers of licenced operators per head of capita varies wildly from country to country.

The scary part is when you look at the numbers for 'Planet Earth'......the apparent number of operators is estimated at 3,000,000 (3 Million) worldwide........

Out of a population estimated at 7,674,000,000 (7.674 Billion) we account for 0.039% of the population! affraid

Probably about time we all started being nice to each other. Wink  How many ham radio operators in each country? 1f44d

(The last comment was more 'humorous' but some could improve their 'welcoming' skills.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: How many ham radio operators in each country?   How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 7:38 pm

Thank you both. I will keep looking for any such lists, though the more I think about and reading your post Victor, I am less believing there will be an accuratish one out there.

Thanks for the clublog most wanted list. Although there's no licence numbers for the locations it's given me some good ones to listen for. I haven't used the site previously and so just signed up so that I could see more data. Is the site widely used? I just checked out Lebanon to see where it was on the list as I had a quick one on 15m yesterday, and it is saying the last recorded SSB activity with that country on 15m was in Apr 2020. ..Not too fussed if the extended data is not current, it's still a useful list. I can understand why the one at the no1 spot is what it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many ham radio operators in each country?   How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 2:07 pm

How many radio amateurs are there worldwide ?
In his YouTube talk of September 7 the RSGB General Manager quoted 3 million as the number of radio amateurs worldwide but where did this number come from ?

A figure of 3 million has been widely quoted over the last 20 years and is the figure that was published by the IARU in 2000.

In the last century the IARU used to regularly collect statistics for the number of radio amateurs in each country and IARU published these amateur radio operator global totals:

2000 - 2,986,772
1995 - 2,646,000
1990 - 1,967,000
1985 - 1,489,000
1980 - 1,134,000
1975 -   737,000
1970 -   525,000

Unfortunately IARU stopped collecting the data just at the point when amateur radio numbers started to decline.  Data is available elsewhere for a few of the larger amateur radio countries and except for the USA this shows a steady decline in radio amateurs since 2000. For example the number of amateur radio stations in Japan has fallen by over 600,000 in the past 20 years, see Amateur Radio Licensing Statistics at
http://ah0a.org/AH0A.html

In some countries there are separate operator and station permits, Japan is one such case. The Operator total given in the AH0A table is for all the amateurs that have ever lived since the 1950's. They are not all still alive or even interested in the hobby anymore. A better indication of numbers is provided by the Station license totals.

So how many radio amateurs are there in 2021 ? The answer is no-one knows but it's likely to be closer to 1.75 million than to 3 million.

IARU Amateur Radio Statistics
https://web.archive.org/web/20020612083455/http://www.iaru.org/statsum00.html
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: How many ham radio operators in each country?   How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 2:28 pm

Saw that story on Southgate Amateur Radio News a moment ago and was going to update this posting.

Well done Mark on posting this. How many ham radio operators in each country? 1f44d 

There you go Neal, nobody knows. Wink

We can adjust that figure I provided too, it means we're only 0.02% of the worlds population!

We definitely need to be much nicer to each other, dying breed mate.
(Including the idiot who likes keying over repeater conversations around East Anglia....poor show.)

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: How many ham radio operators in each country?   How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2021 8:00 am

Thanks for the additional info. I can see from reading through there are lots of factors that can be included or omitted from stats that can skew them sometimes greatly, and that's just from countries that publish some sort of data.

Seconded on being nicer to each other. Over past weeks have heard some very feisty operators during some HF competitions, some being just a bit rude, a few way overstepping the mark with their remarks to others on the air including the f word being thrown. Thankfully none directed at me. Understand some have a very competitive nature, but it's not called for and can be upsetting to some people on the receiving end. None heard were UK operators I should note. ..I'm going OT a bit.

I am surprised how many countries / islands are above Antarctica (talking about the most wanted list again, and not geographically Laughing ). Are there that many camps there that operate? I have never heard any from there on 11m or on any Ham bands through all the years I have SWLed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many ham radio operators in each country?   How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2021 7:14 pm

Austria and Germany release new ham radio call books
The communications regulators in Austria and Germany have made new editions of their national amateur radio call books available for free download

There are three amateur radio categories in Austria:
Class 1 CEPT HAREC up to 400 watts (1kW for clubs) all bands
Class 3 Entry Level 100 watts on 144/430 MHz
Class 4 CEPT Novice 100 watts on 1.8/3.5/21/28/144/430 MHz

The amateur radio exam in Austria is oral rather than the written approach used in UK and other countries.

The Austrian call book, dated September 6, can be downloaded as a PDF or spreadsheet from
https://www.oevsv.at/oevsv/aktuelles/Rufzeichenliste-Neuauflage/

Roland Schwab, OE6WDE, produced a chart in 2016 analyzing the distribution of Austrian amateur radio licenses
https://www.oevsv.at/oevsv/aktuelles/Statistisches-Amateurfunk-in-Oesterreich/

Germany has two categories of amateur radio license:
Class A CEPT HAREC 750 watts all bands
Class E CEPT Novice 100 watts on 1.8/3.5/21/28, 75w on 144/430, 5w microwave

The German call book, dated September 1, 2021 is available at
https://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/Sachgebiete/Telekommunikation/Unternehmen_Institutionen/Frequenzen/Amateurfunk/Rufzeichenliste/Rufzeichenliste_AFU.pdf?__blob
=publicationFile&v=26

Source ÖVSV https://tinyurl.com/IARU-Austria
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many ham radio operators in each country?   How many ham radio operators in each country? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How many ham radio operators in each country?
Page 1 of 1