Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:33 pm by Vasilis

» NATO 2000 Restoration
Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:30 pm by micscave

» New Member (Issued)
Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:41 am by Razz229

Keywords
software display ss9900 antenna power 9900 list anytone chart president Mckinley yaesu Sirio sign ALINCO 6900 frequency Mobile 2022 meter supply Baofeng lincoln 2023 callsign call
QRZ Database

Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes

Go down 
+4
13oots2
DerekF
skyrider
Victor
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Empty
PostSubject: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 5:23 pm

Hi All,

I hope you're all keeping well and enjoying your radio interests no matter what they may be. Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes 1f44d

I joined Charlie Tango a little over three years ago after a 30 odd year absence from radio starting with a bit of CB action and then some PMR. Within the year I was invited to join the admin team to help keep this disorganised chaos in check. Wink Nowadays I even have the privilege of allocating call signs for new members and truly hope that it also helps them in their radio journey as much as it did mine. Not only that but also during this time I took my Foundation licence so get to enjoy all those extra frequencies and modes at my disposal!

It hasn't been an easy journey, disability keeps me locked at home and lack of employment opportunities bereft of spending options. Didn't stop me though, donations of radio equipment and commitment as well as dedication in restoring them to working order has seen me good. (I am lucky in being able to repair my own equipment, not all have the skills for such tasks.) Along with good old cheap Chinese radios, (Baofeng, Leixen, Ailunce/Retevis), my radio collection has slowly expanded.

My other options have expanded too, not for me the "best-of-the-best-of-the-best" expensive coaxial cable or "best ratings" commercial antennas but simple homemade ladder line and a 'doublet' antenna strung up in my loft space by my ever supportive (suffering?) wife.....Made from an electric lawnmower lead no less! Along with a homemade ATU this has allowed me to work all the HF bands at my disposal and despite the limitations of a 10 Watt imposed licence limit quite successfully utilising modern digital mode methods such as FT4, FT8 as well as traditional voice modes.

I set myself small goals to keep me going, little achievements that I can realistically make and slowly but surely reach them.

One of them was to see if this tangled mess of lawnmower lead antenna and feed line in my loft could perform well enough. I set myself the goal of achieving my QRZ World Friendship award on as many bands as possible that I can impedance match it to. With only around half of my contacts being confirmed via QRZ I had to work twice as hard at it and almost double my number of contacts to gain the 25 minimum!

Today with a 12m opening I bagged a few more contacts from Canada to Italy and finally achieved my 12m recognition.

With this free antenna that I was 'advised' by many wouldn't work well enough and my forty year old Yaesu FT757gx I have achieved a minimum of 25 worldwide confirmed contacts on 80/40/30/20/17/15/12 & 10m....with 64 countries bagged for the log too! Seems it does work well enough after all. Wink

My next goal?

Probably not what many expect to be 'progress' along the radio interest path but I've always promised myself some CW Morse action. Not "5NN" parrot-fashion competition style stuff but hopefully conversational and comfortable 20 odd words per minute Morse. It might take some work, more dedication, but I'm sure with undoubtedly a home-made key I'll bag just as many contacts again.

Others may well measure their success with more Watts, 'higher' licensing, the 'best-of-the-best-of-the-best' equipment and good for them too. Yet others will set themselves goals that differ from yours.....and you should let them be free to do so.

To paraphrase something I heard recently.....

"Amateur Radio (or any radio interest), a fascinating and rewarding hobby only marred by internal politics and commercial interests."

Rung a bell in my ears. Wink

Praise others for their radio achievements no matter how trivial they may seem to be, remember that we were all 'beginners' once and do your best to extol the virtues of the radio interest rather than berate apparent differences.

Above all, "measure your own successes" and you'll always be happy.

(I'm flipping well chuffed with mine! Smile )

Been a while but more of my 'waffle'.

Have a wonderful Christmas one and all! santa Plus my most sincerest well wishes to you all for the New Year and your radio interests.

All the best,

Victor

glenn dog, Alan Pilot, Telstar, SangueG, Tonyvic, Ivy Mike, DerekF and like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 6:17 pm

Hello Victor,Hope you fine mate.I often listen to 10/12m frequencies as their a great source of information on how the bands are,Hopefully next year I’ll be using those frequencies not just lurking and listening,Quieter and less QRM on there would be an understatement.
I’m waffling again and really wanted to wish you and the family a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Your always a wealth of good information and it’s greatly appreciated by everyone on the Charlie Tango Forum.

Cheers Victor and all the best mate.
Tom.

Last edited by Chickenfoot@1987 on Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 8:33 pm

Hi Victor a good write up there well done

Victor, Band Aid and Eamonn like this post

Back to top Go down
DerekF
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4631....M7OGB
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Icom F25SR, Intaride IR-803, Baofeng UV-5R, Anytone AT-778UV

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 11:10 pm

Another enjoyable read Victor.

Very best wishes to you and yours, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Derek

Victor and Eamonn like this post

Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 11:30 pm

I now know what to get you for Christmas Victor, a new keyboard as yours must nearly be worn out and a Flymo power lead.

Your post gives me hope that when I pass my Foundation that a lot more will be available to me, at the moment I get a bit of European chatter in the mornings and mid-afternoon, nothing local though. I hope to take the exam soon, as in my mocks I am achieving 80-90%. I tend to rush through and make some very silly mistooks when reading back through the results. Not only that, but I made a very small donation to Essex Ham, which will be increased after Chrimbo, and got 5 extra mocks to take.

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2022 5:02 am

Hi Victor, very nice post.

Your struggles have been rewarded, well done.

Keep up the good work......73 Mike

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2022 5:45 am

Nice writeup there Victor (as always).
Thought you would have had the 12 days of christmas award ???.All the best to you and yours from me and mine hope you have a good one especially with the little ones round you i miss that.

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2022 9:43 am

Tom (Chickenfoot@1987)

Hiya Tom mate, I hope you and loved ones are keeping well too.

Your future plans sound tantalising and would be good to catch you on one of those extra bands in the future. Night and day on some of them and on 10m I've had great QSO's often beyond 5/9 with almost telephone quality. No donkey sounds or whistle ups either! Wink

With the lead you've already taken on the 11m challenge giving the boys a run for their money I'm sure you'll be a great operator on those extra bands even with a starting 10 Watts. Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes 1f44d 

I wish you all the very best for the New Year and have a great Christmas too!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lionel (skyrider)

Hiya Lionel,

Thanks, very much appreciated. You have yourself a great Christmas and all the best for the New Year too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derek (DerekF)

Hi Derek,

I'm glad at least one or two can put up with my 'waffle' let alone admit to enjoying it. Wink

Have a great Christmas and very best wishes for the New Year too.

Mark (13oots2)

Hi Mark,

I do like to give my keyboard a workout now and then and I readily collect any pieces of wire I stumble across! Very Happy

I'm sure as I said before that you will do well with your Foundation and just remember to take your time when you get to that final exam.

Have a great Christmas and I wish you well for the New Year and a spangly new licence. Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes 1f44d

Mike (IvyMike)

Hiya Mike,

Really appreciated my friend and let it be known that often at times you have been a much needed inspiration for all this digital mode radio malarkey. Smile

Have a great Christmas and my best wishes to you for the New Year.

Alan (Alan Pilot),

Always appreciated Alan my friend.

Was too busy trying to crack that 12m band final contacts but there's time yet for the 12 days award. Wink

With six grandchildren it's been an expensive run up to Christmas already, but with the 'babies' now being 2 years old (where did that time go?!) they're appreciating it all this year.

Yourself and Linda will be with my heartfelt thoughts my friend and I wish you both as well as loved ones a Very Merry Christmas and all the best wishes for the New Year.

My very best to each and every one of you, not just those that replied but everyone here at Charlie Tango and those of the 'radio persuasion' around the world.

With Regards to all,
Victor

glenn dog, Alan Pilot, Ivy Mike, DerekF and Eamonn like this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2022 7:28 pm

Thanks for that Victor  and i hope you and yours have a great christmas too 73's

glenn dog, Victor and Eamonn like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 7:41 am

Great post Victor. You're an inspiration to both those those who like to make or fix their own equipment and to those who just don't have the doe to buy flashy expensive commercial antennas (I'm in both those categories). If you ever set up a utube channel detailing any of your experiments or setups do let us know as I am sure I'd find them a lot more interesting than a lot of the samey content on there I have been wasting my time with lately Laughing

I may get on here or on the air over the next few days, but if I do will only be very brief as am working and am on 24hr on-call till Monday. If I don't, then I'll say thanks for all you've done for the group over the past year and have a good Christmas!

glenn dog, Victor and Eamonn like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 8:11 am

Bless you Neal my friend, I like to believe that we're all an inspiration to each other with our radio passions.

I've worked a few Christmases and New Years myself over the years as well as having to stay sober and available for call-outs(!) so you have my sympathies with a huge pat on the back for your efforts.

I sincerely wish you and loved ones great Christmas tidings and all the best for the New Year. santa

May the radio Gods always smile upon you. Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes 1f44d

73's

glenn dog and Eamonn like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 10:44 am

Neal i will swap with you lol.
Christmas morning i have to drive 125 miles to collect out daughter up 125 miles back.
Christmas night the same trip.
Blow a few cobwebs of the car and i should get i good sleep after it lol.
All the best to you and yours my friend.

glenn dog and Eamonn like this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 11:42 am

that is certainly some mileage over christmas Alan drive safe

Eamonn likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 2:39 pm

The diesel might cost more than the meal.
Maybe not but not far off.
Told Linda after getting home Sunday night i am not getting the car till new year if not February lol.
Not done that sort of miles in a day since i was in my 20/30s doing hgv run's.

Eamonn likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2022 8:10 am

Thanks Victor. Hope you've had a good Christmas so far.

I'm not a fan of long distant driving Alan. Some of my work team regularly do over 100 mile drives to do work and then back again to base after. Occasionally they've drive to various countries in Europe too. Not for me, I get tired just driving to Swindon and back (15 miles lol). Hope you're trips were safe and you've had a good rest now.

.-. . -....- .-. . .- -.. .. -. --. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / --- .-. .. --. .. -. .- .-.. / .--. --- ... - / ...- .. -.-. - --- .-. --..-- / ...- . .-. -.-- / -... . ... - / --- ..-. / .-.. ..- -.-. -.- / .-- .. - .... / .-.. . .- .-. -. .. -. --. / -.-. .-- -.-.-- / .- -. -.. / -.-- . ... / .. / -.-. .... . .- - . -.. / .- -. -.. / ..- ... . -.. / .- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. / ..-. --- .-. / - .... .. ... / .-.. --- .-..

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2022 8:18 am

All done and dusted.
Got to have a very large Gin and Tonic around 10pm but had to wash it down with another.
Nice day and Linda was made up so it was well worth it.

SangueG and Eamonn like this post

Back to top Go down
Coyote
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 2-CT-216
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Palmdale California
Equipment Used : Base RCI 2950 Mirage, Mirage M75 Amatuer Bi-Linear Amplifier,with a Antron 99 base station antenna, Mobile radio Cobra 29 LTD Classic and Wilson 1000 Mag Mount Antenna, Marko F100 Amplifier.

PostSubject: My success.    Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 2:26 am

I recently was able to talk to two people in the Scandinavian/Finland area on 27.525mhz and 27.545mhz using a Ranger 2950 Mirage and a Antron 99, to me that was a very successful day on the radio. 

2CT216.
The Coyote in the Mohave Desert.
Southern California.
United States.

Telstar and VanRougeT4 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes   Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amateur Radio (In fact any radio) - Measure your own successes
Page 1 of 1