Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
Help needed  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
Help needed  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
Help needed  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
Help needed  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Help needed  Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
Help needed  Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
Help needed  Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Help needed  Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Help needed  Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
2022 power Mobile meter list Sirio 9900 Baofeng display anytone supply ALINCO chart sign frequency ss9900 antenna president 6900 call software 2023 yaesu lincoln callsign Mckinley
QRZ Database

Help needed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gavalar1980

Call Sign : 26-CT-4188
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Doncaster
Equipment Used : Crt millennium in car with springer

Help needed  Empty
PostSubject: Help needed    Help needed  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 8:59 pm

Hi all Ive got crt ss900 I've bought a silver rod mounted it on a 10ft steel pole on high power I cant get my swr below 2.1 on low power its below 1.5 o chanel 40 on channel 1 it is doesn't register at all what could be the problem please 

Regards gav
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Help needed  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed    Help needed  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 7:32 am

Are you using the inbuilt swr or have you got an external meter.
SWR should be the same on whatever power.
I personally don't trust the inbuilt meter never have and always have an external one to hand.
The low cost ones will do the job might not be 100% but will be close enough you don't need to spend big on a rigexpert or the likes as some of us do lol.

gavalar1980 likes this post

Back to top Go down
gavalar1980

Help needed  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed    Help needed  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 7:35 am

No I've a external meter if I turn the transmit power down the swr is perfect if its on full its sat at 2.2 and that's on 40 on channel 1 it's off the scale the silver rod I bought doesn't black marks on either so I'm wondering if the ariel is faulty
26-CT-4188
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

Help needed  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed    Help needed  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 8:17 am

Hi Gavin. As Alan says, SWR  shouldn't change. That said I did have similar earlier this year when I set a 1/4 up in my  loft. At the time the loft was very cluttered and I found the more I decluttered the better the results were, so there was definitely interaction with items up there.

So just wondering if you have anything close that might be affecting it? I know you said it's on a 10ft pole, but is there anything else very close by, like a metal shed or something? If you can, try moving the antenna a bit, be that up down, left right etc to see if resolves.
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
gavalar1980

Help needed  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed    Help needed  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 8:23 am

Hi the antenna is very very loose almost like a fishing pole and everything is tightend so I've put it to about waist hight on the metal pole could that be acting as a conductor?
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

Help needed  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed    Help needed  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 12:17 pm

you need to get the antenna up to the top of the pole and check your swr on 4w and if its high on 40 it needs shorting but mostly get that up to the top of the pole so the antenna does not see the pole as this will give you very high swr,and when you get the antenna swr right tape the joints so no water gets in as will wreck your antenna there is two ways to tightening the claps some say tape the joint first and when swr is good mark the the antenna joints then tape the so no water gets in and then put the clamps onto each joint and the tighten them up, some use shrink fit i have done this in the past and it works very good and then the screw camps and it works very well, and i put tape on the ends of the shrink fit but what ever you choose good luck
Back to top Go down
gavalar1980

Help needed  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed    Help needed  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 1:54 pm

Thanks for that I've got my swr down to 1.4 and used self amalgamation tape for the joints appreciate everyone's help let's hope I'm dxing soon
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Help needed  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed    Help needed  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 2:40 pm

gavalar1980 wrote:
No I've a external meter if I turn the transmit power down the swr is perfect if its on full its sat at 2.2 and that's on 40 on channel 1 it's off the scale the silver rod I bought doesn't black marks on either so I'm wondering if the ariel is faulty
26-CT-4188

In regards to the antenna, most of them don't have black marks on the poles. I've never bought a silver rod type antenna that did. The presence of those black marks has no effect on whether the antenna works, they're merely a guide put there to give you an idea of how much one section should slide into the next before securing with a jubilee clip or whatever.

Are you using the SWR meter properly? When you alter the power you're transmitting you need to recalibrate it. 

So how to do that...

Put the switch from REF to FWD. In FM mode key up the radio and use the CAL knob until the needle moves to the maximum on the scale and de-key the radio. Its now set. Set the switch back to REF, key up the radio and read the SWR.

Every time you change what power output you are transmitting you need to do the above, ideally you should do it every time you want to properly check the SWR.
Back to top Go down
gavalar1980

Help needed  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed    Help needed  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 2:59 pm

Hi thanks for that I've got the swr on full power to 1.4 if on low power its less than 1 I'm hoping that's ok numbers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help needed  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed    Help needed  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help needed
Page 1 of 1