Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
power antenna lincoln sign list software supply anytone 2022 ALINCO chart callsign meter yaesu frequency ss9900 6900 call president Sirio 2023 9900 Mobile Baofeng display Mckinley
QRZ Database

Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?

Go down 
+14
welshwizard1971
Adrian587
Des Collier
stephen Gunrunner
Metalman
Paddy
Wireless
Rotel240
Victor
Markone
GaryWilson
SangueG
Alan Pilot
26uk81
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Empty
PostSubject: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2021 10:32 pm

I would agree that it is poor etiquette to be sat on 19 or T5 effing and jeffing at all hours of the days.   And to the strict letter of the law, people should not be swearing on air.   But how many people are strictly following the law with a four / twelve watt, type approved radio.

My mate and I chat very late at night on muppets from 10pm till early hours;  I think 5 AM is the record!     We sit and have a few++ beers and have a good laugh about everything under the sun.    The conversation is often sweary, littered with depraved innuendo and toilet humour.    To our amusement the other night my mate was taken to task by someone (who I couldn't hear) for swearing on air.   He complained that his children were in the car listening, not sure of their ages but we are talking about 11:30PM .     Not sure if the radio copper could hear me, but I pointed out that maybe if the kids are that young, they shouldn't be out in a car at 11:30 listening to the radio.   In any case, if you don't like what you're hearing, change the channel.   It reminds me of folks who seem to comb TV channels and Twitter looking for things to be offended at.  It's all dependant on context.   It is so easy to change the channel instead of trying to police the CB bands.   

Do others see where I'm coming from?

Last edited by 26uk81 on Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Des Collier, Sharpshooter and Steve k like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 7:33 am

T5 has never been legal so never strict to the letter of the law.
I know what you are saying and at the time you are on with your m8.
Me i swear like a trooper face to face but not on the radio just never have even back on AM in the 70s.
Interested in what others have to say.

Last edited by Alan Pilot on Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paddy, Victor, Metalman, Tristar, Des Collier and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 1:35 pm

Personally, I don't swear on air, and rarely swear at any time. Results of being brought up in such a way that if I did utter a wrong word when younger I would of been, and occasionally was, punished in ways that would get parents and teachers in to enormous trouble if they did so these days.

Not fazed by others using language that I may not use though. If I had flicked on to your channel and overheard, and if I had young children with me I would just change the channel as you suggest. The only time I might say something back is if a string of course words were directed at me specifically. There's a difference between casual language talk / banter between friends and strong language directed at someone in an attacking manner.

Enjoy your beers at home chatting on the CB. Still safer than in a crowded pub for now.

Victor, 26uk81 and Des Collier like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 356
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 4:42 pm

I personally wouldn't swear on the radio C.B. or Ham. In the way I wouldn't in a restaurant or be in a shop and swear it just doesn't seem right to me.
Probably an age thing!!!!

73's Gary.

Sydthecat, Paddy, Victor, 26uk81, Tristar, Des Collier and Peo_SE like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

Call Sign : 26-CT-3433
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Hull
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 88s + crt 9900+5/8 gain master

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 4:43 pm

Its ok to say move channels or switch off, but around here the ops who use really bad language all the time on FM are now on pmr. So now we have to bands to move from, only ham bands left for now. These ops are also licenced hams, so where do I go when that's gone.

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 5:23 pm

Markone wrote:
Its ok to say move channels or switch off, but around here the ops who use really bad language all the time on FM are now on pmr. So now we have to bands to move from, only ham bands left for now. These ops are also licenced hams, so where do I go when that's gone.

But are they on every channel back to back? I’m against swearing too much in daytime hours, but when it’s late at night long after kiddies and the ultra-sensitive should be tucked up in bed, I don’t see the issue.
Back to top Go down
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 5:30 pm

if you don't see the issue, why bring it up?

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 5:32 pm

Markone wrote:
if you don't see the issue, why bring it up?

Because this is an Internet forum for having discussions about things.
Back to top Go down
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 5:49 pm

not much of a discussion, but will wait to read support for this arguement.it seem any one who disagrees with you will be ultra sensitive or radio coppers
take care, changing channel now

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 5:51 pm

Markone wrote:
not much of a discussion, but will wait to read support for this arguement.it seem any one who disagrees with you will be ultra sensitive or radio coppers
take care, changing channel now

Toodleoo. Shut the door on the way out.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 6:25 pm

I'm glad that it's not just me but I also don't swear on any radio transmission of any kind in the same way as Gary mentioned earlier. 

It must be an age thing for me too especially as a Father and then Grandfather but I also feel it's a bit of a slippery slope. 
Back in the 1970's people seemed to accept racist and sexist 'humour' in society as well as on TV & radio but luckily those days have long gone. Weirdly though swearing was not accepted on TV or radio back then but madly seems the 'norm' on TV and elsewhere today?!?!

I have to admit swearing on CB puts me off and more recently, (as already pointed out), there's a lot more swearing on PMR. I still deplore the Hams on Radio Amateur bands that think adding, "Excuse my French", before or after using an expletive on air actually 'excuses' them!

But then that's just my view and others will see differently. 

Others yet will morally justify it like how racist/sexist jokes were covered up with "I'm just having a laugh with my mates"......

Good discussion point though and warmed by responses so far. Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Paddy, Markone and 26uk81 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 6:33 pm

Thanks Victor.   I’m not asking for people to agree with me just wanted a healthy discussion.     Maybe age does play a part although two of the blokes I chat to are in their late fifties and swear like troopers.    Again, this is always well past 10pm or in the early hours of the morning.

I think it’s one thing to disagree with swearing on air and another to break in in someone else’s conversation to lecture them about their language. The chap who came in on our channel and claimed to have his kids in the car probably exposed them to more swearing waiting for a chance to break in than if he had simply changed channel.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rotel240

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Yorkshire

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 6:56 pm

I do drop the odd swear word out at work but never in public or on the radio where children may be listening regardless what time of day it is I think it's disgusting but I have been brought like this.

Victor and Markone like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 7:23 pm

No worries Chris, been good seeing the responses so far.

Do love a good discussion. Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? 1f44d 

I have 'off-spring', (seems weird calling them my children Wink ), in your age group and I know they swear, (especially when they were in their teens!!), but very curbed nowadays probably because they are parents too now. Who knows? (Maybe it's the Fatherly scorn I still give them! Very Happy )

I think I'm far more likely to point it out on the Radio Amateur bands at anytime but if I came across it in the middle of the night on CB frequencies I'd simply skip on past. On PMR during the day it's a bit inexcusable especially as I have grandchildren utilising PMR walkies for entertainment purposes.

Perhaps it is just a personal thing but I do find transmissions or 'on air' swearing a little disappointing as literally anyone could be receiving you. But I agree that CB has always been a relaxed band allocation where people are able to chat more 'freely'.

Looking forward to further responses.
(Probably find out what a stuck up old fart I am! Very Happy )

Markone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 7:50 pm

Hi hope all are well-don't use the "MUPPET BAND" its just a mess of music and effs and jeffs, only use SSB and FM mid block. switched on PMR and idiots escaping from idiots.2 meter repeater abuse, were to draw the line. I never interrupted these people, or comment on what they say, but will never say its ok.
I'm not a snow flake or ultra sensitive, but my moral compass points true north.
regards as always
mark

Paddy and Coyote like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 8:57 pm

I can understand a certain frustration Mark as after listening to the G0XBU WebSDR a couple of times the CB reception was truly awful in every sense. It was as if the 'kids' from the 80's had all growed-up and carry on their antics to this day!

It does however feel that they were just on the old 19 much like back in the day to annoy as many as possible. 
Definitely different than a 'slipped' cuss but as I mentioned earlier a slippery slope nonetheless.

We have a couple of numpties our way on the old VHF/UHF repeaters, keying, swearing, one sounds like he's transmitting a RF signal generator! The latter I refer to as 'The Doctor' landing his TARDIS because that's what it sounds like.

I know it's best to ignore such antics but after changing around to a few repeaters in conversation with an old friend we finally hit one that he hardly could. (Yeah tenacious, followed us around!?!?) I explained it must be a case of S.W.S. - I finally detailed 'Sore-Willy-Syndrome' and that must've been the case if he couldn't find anything better to play with! Very Happy

Not 'on-form' I know, we are after all 'ambassadors' to the hobby but it gave a sense of satisfaction and he did disappear.

But at least we just showed apathy and never once raised a swear word.  Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? 1f44d

Markone likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 11:17 pm

If you can't convey your thoughts using normal conversation without using bad words then don't bother. Effing and jeffing has it's place in extreme situations which are unlikely to happen during a standard qso. If you really are that coarse then keep it to yourself.

Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2021 2:42 am

26uk81 wrote:
But how many people are strictly following the law with a four / twelve watt, type approved radio.

What exactly is the type approval?  As far as I'm aware the regulations state that anything not sold as a CB Radio that has been modded 'might cause interference'.

I've not so far seen anything pointing to a regulation that states any emission envelope that is or is not permitted.  I'm assuming these would be industry standards.

I'm looking at 80 channel UK/Cept rigs for mobile/base, which seem dirt cheap these days, but SSB CB equipment seems rather expensive, and probably not a mode I'd use in a vehicle whilst mobile.

However, I have broad-banded Amateur Radios (used for 5MHz and 70MHz), so this is not to be used?

Just wondering, since I do have an FT-100D with ATAS-120 to fit in the car, and could limit the output to 12W SSB and 4W FM/AM through the settings.

This is obviously a subject that may have been discussed before, so forgive me, I'm new here.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2021 2:28 pm

Hi, see https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/84406/citizens-band.pdf   for info on type approved CB radio sets.

Also, I would suggest getting an SSB radio.   You will find many more stations to talk to.

Victor and Des Collier like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2021 3:46 pm

Interesting document there Chris, particularly......

1.6  It is an offence to use any station for wireless telegraphy or any wireless telegraphy apparatus to send a message, communication or other matter in whatever form that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character.

Wink Very Happy Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? 1f44d 

Sorry, couldn't help myself and at least brings things back 'on topic'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Wayne, (Wireless), as Radio Amateurs we have a 'cop-out' clause on the regulations to build, modify or otherwise alter equipment so long as it only for personal use and transmits within the allocated Amateur bands.......so legally and technically it means we cannot use 'Ham' gear for use on CB frequencies. (Not that it stops many. Wink )

I think Ofcom have done an incredible job at de-regulating many things stopping the tangled mess that it all used to be.

The licence free nature of CB radio is a typical example and it means that any one of us can legally use CB equipment, (within regulations), to our hearts content without requiring some form of technical training or qualification.

If Radio Amateurs wanted to encompass CB frequencies with the Amateur band plans to circumvent such issues there would be one hell of a stink!!!

I'll leave further discussion on those matters for another posting of its own, (feel free to start one), as this posting was originally concerned about 'swearing on air'. I'm sure there'll be some debate of what constitutes 'grossly offensive' or 'obscene' etc. 

All the best,
Victor

Markone, Tristar and Des Collier like this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2021 5:16 pm

Victor wrote:
Interesting document there Chris, particularly......

1.6  It is an offence to use any station for wireless telegraphy or any wireless telegraphy apparatus to send a message, communication or other matter in whatever form that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character.

Wink Very Happy Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? 1f44d 

Sorry, couldn't help myself and at least brings things back 'on topic'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would question whether a couple of mates using a bit of colourful language in QSO would fall under this rule.  I would have though "grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character" would depend on who the message is aimed at and how that person interprets it...  The law which backs this, "Communications Act 2003", is vague, like a lot of British law.    The CA2003 refers to messages send.   One would assume that that a message has a recipient.   If someone just happens upon bad language and they are not the intended recipient, has an offence been committed?   I'm not going to pretend I know because I don't.   If I did know for sure I'd probably be a lot richer.

I find some people's opinions grossly offensive, without any swearing involved.   I've heard people spouting all sorts of bile about mental health, people on benefits etc...  I just change the channel.

I stand by by my original point, if you dislike what you are hearing, change the channel.
Back to top Go down
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2021 5:43 pm

hi chris,
not sure where your trying to go with this.
In your original post you said "depraved innuendo and toilet humour" now its colourful language. 
then its having a "discussion" and now its a point.
Can we agree most on this forum politely disagree with your view and move on
regards
Mark

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2021 5:56 pm

It's good to question stuff Chris, it's what makes us evolve as human beings and society as a whole. Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? 1f44d 

Sometimes it's very worthwhile to question the beliefs of large swathes of the population especially if it puts an end to atrocities or discrimination. Other times we may just be quizzing things to fit our personal needs or wants.

As I said earlier it's been a good posting and warming to hear some of the responses.

Those that disagree could've taken the stance of "If you don't like it, sling your hook" also.

It would've indeed be a mirrored response. Wink

All the best to you, (honestly, swearing or not you're still a fellow radio enthusiast and human being. Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? 1f44d )

Victor

Alan Pilot and Markone like this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2021 5:58 pm

Markone wrote:
hi chris,
not sure where your trying to go with this.
In your original post you said "depraved innuendo and toilet humour" now its colourful language. 
then its having a "discussion" and now its a point.
Can we agree most on this forum politely disagree with your view and move on
regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

I’m not sure who made you adjudicator of what may or may not be discussed on this forum. You tried to stifle this discussion early in, yet an interesting discussion resulted. It does seem that most disagree with me and that’s absolutely fine. No reason why the discussion can’t continue. It’s a forum for discussion. If you don’t like this one, there a loads of other threads you can look at.

Markone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Paddy
CT Directors
CT Directors
Paddy

Call Sign : 26CT2727
Times Thanked : 54
QTH or Location : Stockport
Equipment Used : Icom 7300. Icom 705, Yaesu FTM400XD and a Yaesu FT70.

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 10:01 am

Hi Chris, 

This was a great post and became a very good discussion moderated excellently by Mr. Victor, and I hope it continues. Good on you for raising the issue, and more importantly accepting the majority with dignity.

I will say I’m also in the “Yes” camp it is a big deal. That being said I live close to where Victor was listening to the CB over SDR and I have to say it’s abhorrent and disgusting. Like Alan, I swear like a trooper face to face with my friends although less so as I get older (56). However if I had come across you chatting with your friend I would have simply moved on the frequency was in use.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Standard Multistandard CB Radio UK/EU/Multinorm-
Jump to: