Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:15 pm by karelgol

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:26 pm by SangueG

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:23 pm by madmax

» new call sign
Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

» CT call sign request
Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:50 pm by Petesevern

» EU conditions have started
Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by babis3g

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:51 am by babis3g

» HF Contacts 15m
Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:44 am by Ivy Mike

» South Coast PMR net report
Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:12 am by Razz229

Keywords
Mobile list software meter 2022 callsign ss9900 yaesu display chart frequency 2023 sign 6900 lincoln call president 9900 Mckinley antenna supply ALINCO anytone Baofeng power Sirio
QRZ Database

Advice on Antennae

Go down 
AuthorMessage
franc66

Call Sign : 26-CT-4416
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Hinckley Leicestershire
Equipment Used : Cobra Multi

Advice on Antennae Empty
PostSubject: Advice on Antennae   Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2022 10:53 am

Morning all - as per my intro post I am returning to radio after many years, I have some bits and pieces from back in the 80s, + bits given to me more recently. So first job is to get the Antenna in place.

If any use with a dig in the attic I have an aluminium di-pole from the 27Mhz 80s period, as well as a vertical aluminium antenna about 18' same age, so I was thinking of sticking the vertical one on the pole already on the chimney and the di-pole horizontally in the roof space, then use a selector switch?? Feel free to advise on the foolishness of the plan and any better ideas to potentially get a bit of local but more hopefully the odd opportunity wider afield when conditions allow I've got a reasonable uninterupted line of site for miles from about 280 NW to 60 NE as were on bit of a hill if that makes any difference to what I do.

Thanks in advance,
Franc
Back to top Go down

Advice on Antennae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on Antennae   Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2022 11:27 am

Sounds perfectly reasonable. Be aware that since the 80's the amount of QRN generated from domestic properties has gone through the roof. Siting your antenna in close proximity to the house may be a disaster. On the positive side, TVI seems to no longer be an issue.

You may be fortunate to find the source or QRN in your own house in which case you can eradicate it, or it may be from a neighbouring property which you may not be able to solve. If you double the distance of the antenna away from the noise it will go down by three quarters (inverse square law) so distance is your friend.

Height and take off are important for local contacts, less so for dx.
Back to top Go down
franc66

Advice on Antennae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on Antennae   Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2022 1:59 pm

Thanks for that,
Would I be Better to start down the garden trying a setup from there with the antenna, I can put a pole up on the sheds, - I have 50M ish of 50 ohm low loss coax I was given - or does this length make things worse? I presume if I do that I can check the cables continuity using a multimeter its on a spool but not new..That way I can get 40+M from any house as there is just fields at the back. There again I suppose the challenge is to try both...and report back.
Franc

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Advice on Antennae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on Antennae   Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2022 2:09 pm

Yes, experiment, that's the way to learn! keep the length of coax the same in both situations so the only variable is locally generated noise.

at 28MHz coax loss is not that significant. I accept that you will lose power at the antenna a bit, but the gains you could make by lowering the noise floor will be a great advantage and you could always increase transmitter power to compensate. I have a feeder run of 39m and it's not been an issue.

You will never hear someone buried in the noise.
Back to top Go down
franc66

Advice on Antennae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on Antennae   Advice on Antennae Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2022 8:09 pm

Thanks I’m going to do a shed trial first!

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advice on Antennae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on Antennae   Advice on Antennae Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice on Antennae
Page 1 of 1