Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 7:26 pm by SangueG

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 6:23 pm by madmax

» new call sign
Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

» CT call sign request
Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 1:50 pm by Petesevern

» EU conditions have started
Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 10:41 am by babis3g

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 8:51 am by babis3g

» HF Contacts 15m
Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 8:44 am by Ivy Mike

» South Coast PMR net report
Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 8:12 am by Razz229

» Help needed
Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 6:52 am by teapot

Keywords
Sirio 2023 6900 display power ss9900 president Baofeng Mobile ALINCO 9900 Mckinley antenna sign callsign call anytone 2022 chart meter supply software frequency lincoln list yaesu
QRZ Database

Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued)

Go down 
+2
Victor
dave923
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dave923

Call Sign : 26-CT-4447
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Newcastle under Lyme
Equipment Used : yaesuft 450D

Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Empty
PostSubject: Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued)   Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2022 7:20 pm

Dear sirs / Madams,
I have been a licenced m3 for around 15 years but have never had the chance to operate due to living in an apartment. I was first into 11m dx in the 80's. I have very recently moved into a disability bungalow . I have a Yaesuft450D and recently got a friend (non-amateur) to distribute the various legs of a 4 band fan dipole around the loft for me but it will only tune with the internal tuner on a very small part of the 40-meter band. I also have an end fed long wire and 9:1 balun LWDX10 antenna which I was thinking about trying discreetly over the roof or under the eaves as it has to be as stealthy as possible (it's a long process to get permission for even a satellite dish here). I have contacted the RAIBC to try and get some help with putting up and getting an antenna to work, or tune the one I have, and have left messages and emailed but to no avail. I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice of what to put up and where and who could put it up so it tunes on a few bands for me, for their petrol money and free tea and cake of course. The loft is free but has copper pipes and lots of wiring and is not boarded out and the fan dipole is up there that won't tune. I was thinking maybe the long wire antenna (lwdx10) around under the eves, and need someone who could advise and install? I currently can not operate due having no suitable antenna and am disabled so cant get one up but please can I have a Charlie Tango callsign anyway for when I do manage to get some help.

73's Dave (Newcastle under Lyme) cheers
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued)   Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 7:00 am

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Charlie Tango.

I'm sorry to hear about your antenna woes especially being in a similar situation as regards being disabled and currently with no HF TX antenna abilities myself. I'm pretty sure that you have to be a paid up member of RAIBC to receive help from them but surprised that no one has responded to any of your emails. I hope you get sorted but I'm still researching options myself and facing difficulties with gaining external help so looking at options that I can do on my own. Some have come up with ingenious ideas such as mag-loops, end fed half waves wrapped around ceiling spaces etc. and am sure there's a solution somewhere so worth scouring the internet.

Never say 'never' and always remember any antenna is better than no antenna. (Especially with the solar cycle ramping up in the forthcoming years where even a meagre antenna can bag you results.) I live in hope myself. Wink

As for a call sign your profile is all filled in and ready to go so hopefully admin responsible for call signs will be able to issue you one in the next day or two.

All the very best to you,
Victor

dave923 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued)   Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 9:10 am

Hi Dave, welcome to the CTDX group
73s
Steve.

dave923 likes this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued)   Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 11:53 am

Hello and welcome, Dave.

73s John.
Back to top Go down
2E0PWD
2E0PWD

Call Sign : 26-CT-4445 2E0PWD
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : York
Equipment Used : Alinco DX-10, Icom 735, TYT TH-9800, Ailunce HD1

PostSubject: Re: Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued)   Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 12:59 pm

Hi Dave and welcome to CTDX  Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) 1f600 

I'm in a similar situation to yourself with regards to antennas.  I, too, too have a disability and now live in a sheltered housing scheme where they don't 'like' antennas Sad

Previously, I lived in a bungalow and managed to put up a small quad band antenna for 10/4/2m and 70cm without anybody complaining or even noticing it!  It was just over 1m in lenght with 3 groundplanes and seemed to work quite well.  Maybe this could be an option to get onto the VHF/UHF bands.  As for the HF bands, I too about 30m of thin, multistrand wire, made a hole for the wire in a tennis ball and threw it over the roof.  That wire connected to ATU got me into Spain, Italy, Germany etc.  As Victor said, "Remember any antenna is better than no antenna"

I'm currently making an atenna for HF from a 3m telescopic fishing rod to extend through a skylight window and retract it when I'm done.

As a friend of mine always says, "Find a way and make a way" so don't give up.  You'll find a solution that suits your needs  Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) 1f44d

73s Dave

John
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued)   Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 7:17 pm

Hello Dave, welcome to the forum.

I am delighted to allocate you 26-CT-4447 may you have good luck with it.

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
dave923

Call Sign : 26-CT-4447
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Newcastle under Lyme
Equipment Used : yaesuft 450D

PostSubject: Re: Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued)   Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2022 11:42 am

Thankyou Steve, Gary and john and Victor, I particularly like the throwing the tennis ball over the roof option John. I have managed a long wire in the loft that does 20 and 80 m but only half of 40 m for some reason. I am going to just get a separate Sirio antenna for 11m DX with my new CT callsign. But for now I made my first contact to Italy yesterday on 20m. Just need to save my pennies of for the Sirio as I do love 11m DX. I had also though about a diamond BB7V's out in the car with one of those ride your tyre on antenna mounts and a camping battery for my first shot at 11m DX as I am not far from Buxton. I shall have to fight for the right with the XYL who would much prefer a holiday. (they just don't understand the madness) Thanks again for the welcome everyone and the great advice.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued)   Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Callsign request and help with antenna needed please (Issued)
Page 1 of 1