Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
lincoln 2023 2022 9900 Mobile anytone Baofeng chart supply antenna software callsign call ALINCO list display Mckinley meter 6900 yaesu sign power president ss9900 frequency Sirio
QRZ Database

No roof mag mount. Where is best?

Go down 
+5
rabbi
TheReverend
Mitch
Alan Pilot
RobChap
9 posters
AuthorMessage
RobChap

Call Sign : 26-CT-4465
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Sheffield, UK
Equipment Used : President McKinley, CRT SS 9900,CRT M9 Mic, Zetagi TM-999, Sirio Magmount 145, 1/4 Wave 9 foot Tank Whip/Red Devil Antenna. T2LT Wire Antenna on 10m DX Commander.

No roof mag mount. Where is best? Empty
PostSubject: No roof mag mount. Where is best?   No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2022 10:36 am

Hi everyone.
I am looking for advise and direction regarding the placement of a magmount on my VW T4 campervan. There is no roof option here as it is a hightop GRP roof.
I am not looking for a mobile setup, just a static mobile setup.
I currently mount the antenna on the bonnet of the Transporter and set the antenna vertical with an angle adaptor between the magmount and the antenna.
I generally use a red devil or a 1/4 wave 9 foot tank whip.
My SWR is about 1:4.

I am wondering what the best mount location may be or have I got it right already?

I was wondering if it would be better to mount the mag on the side of the van with the antenna at 45 degree’s? or how about mounting it on the hatch back side?

I am operating well on the bonnet setup and got into France on SSB from the west coast of scotland with the red devil attached.

I’ll try to add a photo of my van for reference but I’m new to the forum.

No roof mag mount. Where is best? 91715610

rabbi, glenn dog and Lima alpha 1 like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: No roof mag mount. Where is best?   No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2022 10:43 am

I think the bonnet way is about the best option you have.
Wherever you put it it will be a bit directional.
If it was me i would make sure the bonnet has a good earth to the body and maybe operate it with the bonnet open .
But that is my daft way of thinking and somebody will come up with a far better idea.

rabbi and RobChap like this post

Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Leicester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

PostSubject: Re: No roof mag mount. Where is best?   No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2022 2:00 pm

If you're using static mobile what about a drive on pole and silver rod or similar aerial? It'd be better than a mag mount.

rabbi, glenn dog and RobChap like this post

Back to top Go down
RobChap

Equipment Used : President McKinley, CRT SS 9900,CRT M9 Mic, Zetagi TM-999, Sirio Magmount 145, 1/4 Wave 9 foot Tank Whip/Red Devil Antenna. T2LT Wire Antenna on 10m DX Commander.

PostSubject: Re: No roof mag mount. Where is best?   No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2022 3:30 pm

Thanks for the replies. The setup has to be portable and compact for long term touring. So nothing other than a magmount.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3921 / M7GDA
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Lambourn
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, CRT ONE N, CRT Electro, UV-5r, B550p, HP-202, Sirio 4000, T2lT, Sharmans X-50, Diamond A430....and many bits of wire.

PostSubject: Re: No roof mag mount. Where is best?   No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2022 11:16 pm

Hi chap, I've also got the SS9900, and I use mine with the Sirio 4000, which works a treat on the roof of the car.  However. in your situation I would recommend the T2LT antenna, which is cheap to buy (or make yourself, as it's basically a piece of coax)....it rolls up to nothing too, so is easy to store.  To mount the T2LT, you'll need a telescopic 10m fibreglass pole, which you can fix to the ground using guy-ropes from a tent, lash to an existing fence post on the edge of a field with bungee cords, or you can use it with a drive-on plate.  I've collected all of the above over the last few months ready for me to get out this summer.  It all takes up very little space to store, it's relatively cheap, and it's quick to erect.

Cheers

Simon.

rabbi and RobChap like this post

Back to top Go down
rabbi
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : m3kbd/2e0kbd/m0kbd
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : stockton on tees
Equipment Used : kenwood ts 2000x ascom 70mhz icom vlf/hf/uhf receivers multiband antennas

PostSubject: Re: No roof mag mount. Where is best?   No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2022 7:26 am

hi i have used a transmit through glass when i had a robin 3 weeler as the body is fiberglass not very good but put out a signal on cb i whould go for a drive on plate i have used one with a delta loop very good reports thanks for looking paul m0kbd 73s

RobChap likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: No roof mag mount. Where is best?   No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2022 7:01 pm

Yup I reckon a drive on mast base if you're portable, then a telescopic pole, and the antenna on top of that.

rabbi, glenn dog and RobChap like this post

Back to top Go down
RobChap

PostSubject: Re: No roof mag mount. Where is best?   No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2022 7:13 pm

Hey Wayne and all.
I have found after spending a couple of hours placing the antenna in various places in the van, that indeed the bonnet is the best place. This is regarding SWR and performance. So its solved!
It is good reference for others who may own or plans to buy a van like this with a grp roof.
I did eventually find a youtube video made my a radio ham about motorhoming with a radio.
He also showed that the bonnet of a motorhome is indeed the best placement for a magmount.

Regards Rob.

rabbi and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: No roof mag mount. Where is best?   No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2022 8:14 am

T2LT on a telescopic fibre glass pole gets my vote will be better than a magmount

glenn dog and PJD1 like this post

Back to top Go down
Savwafare10
Savwafare10

Call Sign : 2-CT-351
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Greeley / Evans
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS450s TS440s Icom 706MK2 Sigma Venom 5/8 wave with home brew ground radials (8) Drake R 4B- T 4xB (twins) 4el LFA soon to go up in the air/

PostSubject: Re: No roof mag mount. Where is best?   No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 4:17 pm

Could make (DIY) magmount that can take a few different antennas (not at the same time of course) if your moving about the bands.  Magmount with a swivle/ball. Hamstick antenna comes to mind, light weight, half fiberglass, half SS whip, adjustable, they make 10m, 12m,15m ect ect... I can attest the 10m Hamstick dosen't tune well around 26.900 ish ( SS whip is too short)  I use a Wilson 62 inch SS whip on the 10m bottom, tunes all through 10m 11m and then some.   For the best performance (imo)  if there is just enough room between the fender and hood (bonnet) a SS fender mount using a fender bolt,  ground bonded to the body of the unit. Universal threaded mount so you can run a short antenna while in motion, put the  long one on when parked?   Fender mount can be removed if the unit is to be traded off or sold later. Little touch up paint and the next user would never know ;-)  Just my 2cents.
Just came to mind, there is a Ebay seller that makes a replica Hamstick antenna, fairly decent quality and not too bad on the price, shipping of course might cost a bit. My 2005 BMW X5, BMW was nice enough to ground bond the hood (bonnet), doors and rear hatch (boot). Might look and see if VW did the bonnet for you?
Back to top Go down
Lima alpha 1
Lima alpha 1

Call Sign : 108-CT-278
QTH or Location : Edinburgh
Equipment Used : President McKinley, crt 9900,kenwood480sat,RM KL 203P ,IMAX 2000,, president home base KP77 UBC360 cle scanner Albrecht 6110ae CRT 9900,Baufeng T5 Handheld

PostSubject: Re: No roof mag mount. Where is best?   No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 4:37 pm

Some great advice there , it’s a pity that you didn’t want something a bit more permanent if it was me I’d go down the duplex route and have matching antenna either side of the front bumper to the same height of the roof with possibly the top’s tied back in a semi curl , that’s if my good lady would let me of course but fantasy aside either of the two suggestions that you had previously would work a drive over static plate for a tank whip or a wire do-pole from tree to tree or post to post secured with a dog bone either end , both great space savers fairly inexpensive, ps van looks great and happy travels , all the best 73,s buddy👍🏻
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No roof mag mount. Where is best?   No roof mag mount. Where is best? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No roof mag mount. Where is best?
Page 1 of 1