Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

» Hello everyone
Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeToday at 12:22 am by M0TEC

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:08 pm by John H

» Call sign request
Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:42 pm by nmasterson

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

» Replacement K-PO DX5000 Microphone
Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by Lynton

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:34 pm by GaryWilson

» RE:TC call sign
Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:04 pm by Nick100

» Crossing the pond
Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:52 am by Dutchie19

Keywords
callsign 9900 yaesu anytone Mckinley supply sign Baofeng ss9900 6900 chart lincoln 2022 frequency antenna list president display ALINCO Sirio Mobile call software meter power 2023
QRZ Database

Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3921 / M7GDA
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Lambourn
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, CRT ONE N, CRT Electro, UV-5r, B550p, HP-202, Sirio 4000, T2lT, Sharmans X-50, Diamond A430....and many bits of wire.

Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Empty
PostSubject: Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water....   Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2022 12:39 am

Hi Gents,

Recently, I've been wondering how easy or successful it would be for me to make a covert inverted V for 6 metres? i.e. a '˄'........ On paper, it looks fine and dandy, and I'll be mounting it in the loft initially, or on the roof, at East to West.  I think I might be trying to justify to myself the purchase of a fandango HF rig, however I can't be sure.....

Cheers

Simon.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water....   Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2022 6:48 am

Hiya Simon,

Ahhh, knew that spangly Ham call sign would soon have you dribbling for more of the RF spectrum! Wink

Despite what is often said and myths abound attic antenna do certainly work as myself and many others can attest to. If you need any reassuring it'd be worth taking a look at the following link :-

https://www.ncrc.org.uk/attic_index.html

Worth noting also that RF does indeed travel through tiles whether wet, dry, covered in snow, concrete, slate or otherwise. Even 'foil' lining is actually mylar plastic and not metal at all!

It's also worth noting that you don't need a large attic space to hang an antenna 'straight' and can get away with a number of clever folds. You can see notes concerning such things at the following link :-

https://www.qsl.net/kk4obi/index.html

So yes, all perfectly feasible. Smile

You'll probably come against the notion of RFI, interference etc. with indoor antennas but most of these noise sources are usually within your very own home. Nowadays computers, phones, USB chargers, etc. are everywhere and usually due to the clever or even cheap methods of power conversion produce some noise. With higher frequency electronic switching speeds and internal clock systems that problem can be even worse. You don't need to overcomplicate such things by slinging toroids randomly around cables but simply power off or unplug each item individually until any RF noise disappears. Recently I found my Baofeng charger wipes out lower HF reception for me so ensured I never charged whilst I was on HF and then later changed the wall adapter which didn't produce noise! You don't have to chase your tail to alleviate such problems and yes, you can cure them.

The real fun comes about when you want a multi band antenna and start digging into SWR losses, ladderline feeders ATU's etc. I'm pretty much exploring these options myself and dipped my toe into the water of such antennas recently :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t4296-skip-hunting-for-hunting-skip#34112

Thinking of which, I might have to see if it tunes for 6m not bothering so far as I don't have 6m gear. Wink

Never let anything stop you from trying to get on air without trying it for yourself. Maths, charts, technical explanations are all well and good but not when it is pontification to the point of prevention.

Have fun! Smile

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3921 / M7GDA
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Lambourn
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, CRT ONE N, CRT Electro, UV-5r, B550p, HP-202, Sirio 4000, T2lT, Sharmans X-50, Diamond A430....and many bits of wire.

PostSubject: Re: Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water....   Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2022 11:32 pm

Good evening Victor,

Apologies for the delay in responding....I've been either working or wedding planning!  As ever, you have posted absolutely fascinating links in your reply, which I'm currently delving into......I think I may just be able to pass a section in the Intermediate, if my brain could only absorb all the information!!

Thanks chap,

Simon.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water....   Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2022 6:52 am

No worries there Simon and I hope you're enjoying the whole learning experience whether you pursue Intermediate or not.

It's good to explore anything we can to enjoy our chosen hobby without unnecessary barriers. Too often I've seen antenna ideas for 'small garden plots' and the damn things are 15m square(!) or other outrageous measurements. Reminds me of the old snobby, "What do you mean old man? You don't have the plot size for a full wave 160m loop? Fwah, fwah, guffaw, fwah!". Wink

Keep at it mate.

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water....   Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inverted V for 6 metres anyone?...just testing the water....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: