Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New call sign request (Issued)
radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeToday at 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeToday at 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

» EU conditions have started
radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeToday at 3:18 pm by babis3g

» New callsing request
radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeToday at 1:05 pm by Miliko

» SSTV v Contest Stations
radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeToday at 10:59 am by MM0IMC

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign..
radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeToday at 7:29 am by iherup888

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeToday at 4:21 am by Sydthecat

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington
radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:40 pm by Tarot

» Greetings from Fife, New call sign request (Issued)
radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:06 pm by John123

Keywords
meter display Mobile Baofeng software 2023 president Sirio anytone 9900 list ALINCO sign 6900 antenna 2022 call callsign ss9900 power frequency lincoln yaesu Mckinley chart supply
QRZ Database

My return to radio and the journey.

Go down 
+2
chazwozza
Sharpshooter
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

radio - My return to radio and the journey. Empty
PostSubject: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2022 9:43 pm

Hi all, thought I would start a thread on my return to radio since the heydays of CB early eighties.

Just a bit of fun and maybe helpful to other newbies and a talking point for old hands etc.

I have a couple of old CB radios, one i bought purely for the PA system around 17 years ago. (Another story) but I had a desire to connect a twig and see if anything was going on. 
(I read it was dead so didn't bother.
But on hindsight you have to do something to make it happen rather than sit back and hope )

So I didn't, 
fast forward Covid and whilst I was home brewing again I stumbled upon Fred in the shed. 
He did a home brew YouTube video and I looked at his other videos to see radio content.

More searches got me buying two Baofeng UV5R's.

Now I've gone and bought a CRT SS 9900.
With a Sirio 4000.

Today I tried to buy a fuse connector to wire it in but Euro car parts are crap and I didn't want to search around due to my dog getting stressed in the car lately.

Anyway, back to my caravan and a cigarette socket plug was soldered on (should of just got Knights to do it Very Happy)

And hey presto, my CRT lights up. 
(I checked everything twice with my fluke first Wink Smile ) Also I removed the rubber boot from the magmount and fitted and trimmed the metallic tape to the base. Right, here's a question, how do you remove the magmount ? Very Happy I fitted it a while ago for a trial but had to slide it to the edge. (Wet roof) to get it off lol 🤣 I'm nearly there. Just need to make my mind up where to locate the rig. Thought about the glovebox, top of dash and under steering wheel but not the best in a Ford focus lol.

Any ideas for where to mount the radio and ease of removing magmount appreciated (I've a wide soft plastic scraper to try prising) 👍🤣

glenn dog and DAVE_UK like this post

Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2022 9:32 am

Removing the rubber from the magmount makes no difference the aerial is using the car as a plane not an earth
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2022 4:45 pm

chazwozza wrote:
Removing the rubber from the magmount makes no difference the aerial is using the car as a plane not an earth

What I want to do is remove the whole magmount at times not the rubber boot. But it's so strong a magnet I couldn't get a purchase on it to lift it off 🤣
Obviously didn't want to damage the roof and since it was damp with evening dew I slid it off the edge 👍😁
Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2022 9:11 pm

Aye car can get a lot of scratches lol

Sharpshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2022 5:56 pm

Well I was dubious about using the antenna whilst attached to the magmount to remove it.
But it actually comes off easily when needed 👍😁👍

I finally got set up yesterday and made my first contact . On channel 19 fm
From my holiday retreat square wheeled, about 6 miles away to a breaker in Kimmel bay.
A good start I thought.

Then today, again on the 19, a breaker in Snowdonia way. Double or more distance. Also Dave from Blackpool, wow.
Down to channel 17 and Jimbo from Lancaster came in.
I'm well pleased with that and some nice contacts.

I've checked my swr with the built in meter on the 9900.
Ch 01 = 1.2
Ch 40 = 1.5
Double checked with my separate swr meter but it wasn't working. Removed plugs on the patch lead, cleaned, re soldered and tested with multimeter.
Still nothing, took apart and a wire had come away from the meter.
The meter is working now but when you calibrate to "set" it just jumps right across , so I'll get a new meter just to be on the safe side.

But yes, well happy with my first two days back, especially a contact so far away on the old Muppet band.

Really pleased and above my expectations.

Last edited by Sharpshooter on Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2022 7:38 pm

Yes, radio can be  fun and is very good DX conditions at the moment, glad you got your set up working well.

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2022 4:59 pm

Today I learned how to get into the different menus as I noticed not all options were showing up. Next will be to learn what the ones are for that I haven't got a clue with Very Happy

I noticed yesterday on USB listening to triple 5. When others were specifying a frequency and I was pushing the channel selector to dial it in. That frequency overwrites the set one. 555 in this case.

As the radio came pre programmed from Knights, I'm hoping I haven't changed any on the CB FM frequencies.
Probably not as I usually switch to channel mode on there but I'll check them.

Would I be right in thinking it doesn't really matter in USB as long as I have a few popular frequencies saved ? And what's the best setting for increments ?

Had one contact today on 19 FM 6 miles away.
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 9:29 pm

A bit quiet lately.
Heard some Scouse and Manc accent's on FM Muppet band but couldn't get in.

Had a look at the frequencies today on FM A band and realised I'd changed 5 or 6 channels whilst on USB FM A band.

So i checked and reset the CB FM 40 where necessary.

Went on D band FM and heard a breaker from Snowdon whom I've copied before.
He was chatting to Alex in Leipzig Germany. I could hear him loud and clear but unfortunately he left before I could try a contact.

I'd also heard two Welsh speakers earlier that acknowledged my "Borra da" with "it's afternoon now" 🤣

Main thing, I'm learning and enjoying it.
Although not spending much time on it yet.

Last edited by Sharpshooter on Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 5:09 am

My return to radio started with a ss9900.
II did exactly the same thing changed the frequency's unintentionally like you did.
That radio was very soon replaced by a Ranger-2950 happy days.
The ss-9900 is a good radio but too small and fiddley for me.
Pnawn da(pynhawn da).
 ooo sorry it's Borra da  lol.

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 12:26 pm

I preferred the CRT 6900 tbh Alan but size of the 9900 suits me more for mobile.

I'm a bit disappointed with the PA speaker system though. It only has one jack plug so if you switch from PA to one of the bands the radio sound comes through the PA speaker so I'd have to keep unplugging it 🙄

Unless I'm missing something 🤷

I also found a thread on here to check frequencies unfortunately the PDF is no longer available.
I think I only altered 5 or six on A band so I've reset the CB channels accordingly and hopefully the rest are right.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 2:29 pm

The 6900 would have been better for me i think but a Ranger came up so i jumped on it.
Had one of the first ones to come into the UK when they came out many years ago.

glenn dog and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2022 7:48 pm

Sharpshooter wrote:
I also found a thread on here to check frequencies unfortunately the PDF is no longer available.
I think I only altered 5 or six on A band so I've reset the CB channels accordingly and hopefully the rest are right.

Hi. There's scores of frequency charts on the net if you do a quick Google for something like "cb channel frequency chart". Delboy's, which you'll probably easily find, is clearly laid out and should have all the blocks you'll really need to reference.

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2022 8:50 pm

SangueG wrote:
Sharpshooter wrote:

Hi. There's scores of frequency charts on the net if you do a quick Google for something like "cb channel frequency chart". Delboy's, which you'll probably easily find, is clearly laid out and should have all the blocks you'll really need to reference.

I did find a link to delboy's blog through one of Gary Wilson's posts, cheers 👍
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2022 11:55 am

My order of, CRT space U radio. SWR/power CB meter. SO239 to SMA adaptor, and Sirio SU 375-480 PL antenna arrived today.
Thats another £100 spent 😮😁.

So adding that to the CRT SS 9900,
7" magmount and Sirio 4000, couple of Baofeng's and Nagoya antenna's etc. I've gone over my initial budget of around £150-£180 to return on air 🤔🤣.

(I may tot up my spend later)

A big shout out to Doug at Knights electrocom.
He emailed me to check it was a CB SWR meter I wanted since it was ordered with PMR radio and antenna. I phoned him and he also checked I'd ordered the right adaptor.
Also the size of the packaging it arrived in (i might upload a picture later)
I thought he'd sent half of his stock 🤣

Anyway, pity I didn't order a couple of patch leads and a two way switch as
@Wireless had advised me, but I'm having other thoughts of mounting now, including home base. More money 🙄😁

I'm impressed with the small size of the space U. And coupled with the smaller antenna think/hope these could become a popular choice for mobile use amongst the masses. Smile

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2022 2:03 pm

Nige
Don't tot up ever lol.

glenn dog, TheReverend and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 1:35 am

Yesterday afternoon I had my Baofeng UV5R switched on to radio 2 FM whilst sorting out my sheds and after a while it kept reverting back to PMR 446.007, i realised it was switching over when a signal was picked up. And sure enough, some kids were chatting on there.

Tonight around 9pm I switched on to hear some chat and managed to contact someone from near Speke airport .

It's nearer than I thought at around 13 miles as the crow flies, but considering I was indoors on a handheld on PMR I was quite surprised.
And pleased at a first proper PMR contact.

He was very clear and two others were just about coming in and they could hear me but apparently i kept dropping out.

He recommended a slim jim antenna and a more powerful rig. 😁
Well I've got the CRT space U and need to cut the Sirio lol.
But the temptation to set up home base is strong now.

Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 5:25 am

Great to hear you having success as well as enjoyment with your radio ventures Nige.

I definitely think you've been well and truly bitten with the radio bug!

You may even be tempted to get that Ham ticket one day. Wink

glenn dog and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 6:01 am

Sounds like you got the buzz when you made the contact.
Base station soon i recon but remember never tot up or tell the wife.
My station commander Linda stopped asking long ago and now say's "if you need it just get it" lol.
Ham ticket plenty of advice and help on here and then the world's your lobster and no point at all totting up ever.
Keep it up m8.

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 1:36 pm

Cheers fellas.
The problems I have with homebase is the sheds aren't ideal with condensation in winter, although I have thought about some sort of sealed/opening unit for housing equipment.
There's also the need for an electricity supply which I've put off due to other circumstances.
And the massive amount of coax needed as the back of the house eave is inaccessible due to the conservatory.
There is a spare room downstairs but it has become a storage unit for my youngest daughter's stuff 🙄

Vehicle wise, I can't go out to the car of an evening as I'm usually drinking home brew 🍻 🤣

I'll get sorted. I may consider the ham ticket during the long dark winter months 👍
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 2:44 pm

When i first came back to radio i setup in the shed had to share it with gardening tools and a mower plus the jet wash you know what i am saying.
Didn't need big power so an extension cable wind up type with 4 sockets for my supply.
I had a low wattage LED strip light and my power supply.
Winter came and the thought of damp so what i did was to cover my radio's with a bath towel folded to fit nicely.
But i put some well 2 reptile heat pads at only 7w so no big bill also on a timer.
Never had any problems just need a thick jumper and your coat lol.
This is a link to the pads.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reptile-Vivarium-Heat-Heating-Sizes/dp/B015OLGTPY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=16GCB85MFWB8M&keywords=reptile%2Bheat%2Bmats&qid=1657028094&sprefix=reptile%2Bhea%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-5&th=1

Edit
Forgot to say but i got the radio bug back again and shortly after i went in for my ticket and the rest is history.
Worth think about all them bands to play on ??????????????????...

GaryWilson and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 3:50 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
When i first came back to radio i setup in the shed had to share it with gardening tools and a mower plus the jet wash you know what i am saying.
Didn't need big power so an extension cable wind up type with 4 sockets for my supply.
I had a low wattage LED strip light and my power supply.
Winter came and the thought of damp so what i did was to cover my radio's with a bath towel folded to fit nicely.
But i put some well 2 reptile heat pads at only 7w so no big bill also on a timer.
Never had any problems just need a thick jumper and your coat lol.
This is a link to the pads.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reptile-Vivarium-Heat-Heating-Sizes/dp/B015OLGTPY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=16GCB85MFWB8M&keywords=reptile%2Bheat%2Bmats&qid=1657028094&sprefix=reptile%2Bhea%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-5&th=1

Edit
Forgot to say but i got the radio bug back again and shortly after i went in for my ticket and the rest is history.
Worth think about all them bands to play on ??????????????????...

I was going to build a kegorator and brew fridge in one shed. Get electric in and buy similar type heaters for the brew fridge.
But I've decided I'm happy for now just bottling. Especially as I go away up the coast most days during spring, summer and autumn and take bottles. 😁🍻

Just looking at the rear roof eave and I could access to the side and slightly lower. Maybe put a silver rod there and a slim jim on the other eave 🤣 

My thoughts are to build a wooden radio box with slots for a 6900, space U, SWR and power supply. Put it on a rubber mat and use one of those plastic containers as a lid over the box. Cables running down through a hole in the table. 😁

Anyway, time will tell. And Tempus Fugit. 🕛🕧🕐🕜🕑🕝🕒
🗺🎤🎧🎙📻🔌💰😁
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2022 4:49 pm

Well I finished work this morning and headed off to my peaceful retreat.
I had the CB on 19 but didn't hear a thing.

Then I realised my first of three blonde moments of the day.  It was on FM but on band D 🙄
I swapped to band A and keyed the mic to send out a Roger beep (sorry Victor 😁)
I received some whistling. Very Happy
Some voices started to creep in as i reached my destination 👍
My second blonde moment was having searched high and low for the paper I had scribbled contacts down on. I gave up and opened the notebook to write in todays contact.

Yes the paper was in the notebook 🙄🤣

So in went the old contacts to add to todays nice local chat that I had whilst trying my new swr/pwr meter.
It shows better than the built in one with readings of 1-1 and 1-3 👍
And a good indication of power outputs.

Oh yes, my third blonde moment.

Well i fitted the CRT space U today.
My first attempt at checking swr on the CRT SS 9900  was unsuccessful and then I realised i was keying the space U mic, not the 9900 🤣
Well I only had about two hours sleep off night shift, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it 😛.

Anyway, the car is starting to resemble the bridge on the starship enterprise now 😁

radio - My return to radio and the journey. Img_2030

glenn dog, Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2022 5:49 pm

Driving around SW Finland today, skip was not very good,, but Fm I got Sweden and Norway for about 30 mins, just set up a Mk Kinley in the car and even connected the PA, wife was not happy when I whistle at her in the shopping area car park.

GaryWilson, Victor and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2022 9:30 pm

glenn dog wrote:
Driving around SW Finland today, skip was not very good,, but Fm I got Sweden and Norway for about 30 mins, just set up a Mk  Kinley in the car and even connected the PA, wife was not happy when I whistle at her in the shopping area car park.

😁
Seems lots of skip here today.
Lots of Germans. 
Someone shouting out from Sweden. Heard a Spanish sounding operator.
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 11:59 pm

After buying the sirio antenna for PMR and worrying about SWR. Then Making a 17 centimetre twig from a coat hanger, as per Razz (Ray) and others advice.

I wondered about a twig tip end and where to acquire one.

Today, wearing shorts in the hot weather I went to tie the shoelace type chord and an end piece came off.

radio - My return to radio and the journey. Img_2031

Sorted 😁

Victor, Alan Pilot, SangueG and Andy2490 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My return to radio and the journey.   radio - My return to radio and the journey. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My return to radio and the journey.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next