Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
Sirio display 2023 ALINCO anytone sign frequency call list 6900 software 9900 antenna chart lincoln Baofeng power Mckinley callsign yaesu president meter 2022 Mobile ss9900 supply
QRZ Database

Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ilson Brewer

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Ilkeston
Equipment Used : CB 27/81

Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2022 2:26 pm

Just bought a 27/81 rig second hand and want some help and advice fitting to my car. Not been on CB since 80’s and I had a hankering to have a go again in my old age. I don’t even know if the rig works so any help or advice is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Ilson Brewer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 1:50 pm

I guess not then! Perhaps I won’t bother.
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 2:42 pm

Sorry ilson, just saw your post. I'm new and learning both radio and the forum but happy to help if I can.
And I'm sure experienced members will jump in 👍
What problems do you have ?

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 3:02 pm

I went the easy route with a magmount and coax fed through the back hatch as there's a larger shut line gap to save pinching the coax, also looks tidier running back along centre of roof.

I was going to tap into the fusebox but decided to fit a cigarette socket plug into the centre console.

And just screwed the rig in the passenger side 👍😁

Hope this helps and don't forget an SWR meter and patch lead ,👍

Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Img_2023
Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Img_2024
Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Img_2025

Last edited by Sharpshooter on Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Razz229, Victor and Ilson Brewer like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 3:15 pm

The O.P. may have had a better response if it wasn't so specific to a QTH or location.
We do get many such unannounced calls for help and often such postings are easily missed.

Here's hoping they 'can be bothered' when they next log on.
(Maybe introduce themselves or even give a name?)

Thank you Nige (Sharpshooter) for your response to this posting.  Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? 1f44d

Razz229 and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 3:26 pm

Victor wrote:
The O.P. may have had a better response if it wasn't so specific to a QTH or location.
We do get many such unannounced calls for help and often such postings are easily missed.

Here's hoping they 'can be bothered' when they next log on.
(Maybe introduce themselves or even give a name?)

Thank you Nige (Sharpshooter) for your response to this posting.  Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? 1f44d

No worries Victor. I've just edited my post as was trying to remember how to upload pictures 😁

Patience is a virtue 😁

Razz229 and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 3:31 pm

Pictures always speak a thousand words there Nige and I've upgraded my 'Like' for your posting to a vote of 'Thanks'. Great stuff mate. Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? 1f44d

Sharpshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ilson Brewer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 5:03 pm

Thank you for the advice, good call about the SWR and patch lead forgot about those magic devices! I’m Mark by the way - I guess I was looking for someone local who might give me a radio check and introduce me to others nearby. 

I’m going to go full drill through roof mount I think. Thunder pole do a pre-swr antenna, mount and cable for £25 which looks reasonable - best to just bite the bullet and get on with it even though the wife thinks I’m bonkers.

Thank you sharpshooter and victor.

Victor and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 5:21 pm

Hi Mark,

A warm welcome from Charlie Tango to you.

I'm glad that one of our members was able to assist you, we are usually a pretty helpful bunch.

It's just a shame that there wasn't an active member on the forum from your area so hence the lack of response. We might have worldwide membership but not all are active on the forum. (As a voluntary admin I usually look out for unanswered posts but obviously missed yours.)

I don't know what the CB activity is like up your neck of the woods but hope you manage some contacts as it can be a bit hit or miss around the UK. At least one advantage of setting up a mobile station is that you can always move to higher ground or other locations.

A lot of CB activity nowadays uses Sideband (SSB) due to the fact that the signals can travel further distances but if you are in a busy area with FM activity then obviously an FM radio can suit you well. (I don't know what equipment you have.)

I wish you well with it all and don't worry.....my Missus thinks I'm bonkers too regarding my radio interests. Wink

All the best to you,
Victor

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 6:02 pm

Good luck with it 👍
I bought a sideband rig a few weeks ago but have had most contacts on CB.

Up high in North Wales does well.
I went mobile for the first time today and dropping down into town I noticed how much interference there can be in built up areas (around a 5 signal ) but still heard people.
There were some chatting on 19 and a DJ playing music 🙄

So don't be put off easily . It's not like the old days but then it can be rewarding finding someone 😁

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ilson Brewer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 6:38 pm

I never did AM and SSB  - I was too young so just got a legal set for my 14th birthday. Thought I’d start with the old 27/81 FM and see how I get on. I travel around a bit so Peak District will be worth a visit. Cheers again and if any Derbyshire members on here, give me a shout.

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 11:00 pm

Ilson Brewer wrote:
I never did AM and SSB  - I was too young so just got a legal set for my 14th birthday. Thought I’d start with the old 27/81 FM and see how I get on. I travel around a bit so Peak District will be worth a visit. Cheers again and if any Derbyshire members on here, give me a shout.

Funny enough I have a friend in South Normanton that asked me what CB was like as he still has a rig and was thinking of setting it up.

My advice was to try it, but keep at it if it's quiet.

There's an ex ham in work that's ordered a Baofeng handheld after chatting to me, and I don't think it will be long until he buys a sideband rig 😁

Also a cousin of mine has bought a Baofeng after our chat and he's thinking of digging out his old cobra sidebander.

My point is it's easy to try it and dismiss it at the first hurdle. But with perseverance and chatting to others coupled with a bit of patience it could become more popular or weedle out other local radio users.

I've read about people buying starter cb kits and the supplied antenna is pants, can't get a signal and give up.
That's a shame as if everyone who starts out gives it a bit of time it could help it grow .

I may be talking absolute rubbish of course but just my opinion 🤣
Back to top Go down
Ilson Brewer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2022 7:12 am

I think you make a lot of sense. I remember the problem of just earwigging on channels - you don’t know how many others are doing the same unless you give a shout out. And of course, none of us know what time of day other users will have their radios on, so you are right, perseverance would be important.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?   Anyone in Ilkeston area can help? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone in Ilkeston area can help?
Page 1 of 1