Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
Starter kit Icon_minitimeToday at 12:58 pm by GaryWilson

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Starter kit Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 pm by GaryWilson

» EU conditions have started
Starter kit Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
Starter kit Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Starter kit Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
Starter kit Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
Starter kit Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Starter kit Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Starter kit Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
Sirio yaesu 9900 call 2023 supply sign chart Mobile lincoln anytone 2022 power ALINCO frequency software 6900 president ss9900 meter display antenna Baofeng list callsign Mckinley
QRZ Database

Starter kit

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BurnTheWitch

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Little Hadham
Equipment Used : None yet

Starter kit Empty
PostSubject: Starter kit   Starter kit Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 4:29 pm

Hi,

What sort of kit should i be looking at for my first unit?
Second-hand or new? 
What do i need that is essential?
Any help would be great.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Starter kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter kit   Starter kit Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 9:51 pm

Hi Robert,

You can make some great savings with second hand gear, (although not always with so called 'classic' CB radios often selling for more than new radios!), but you have to be aware that you won't have a warranty and usually no come back if there is anything wrong with it.

You'll also have to think about what you want from CB radio to decide on what type to buy as well as accessories.

Do you wish to run mobile or as a homebase setup?

Running mobile can be rewarding in that you are not limited by location being able to travel about to different places with less QRM or interference. There's also the added advantage that you can drive to higher ground essentially raising your antenna height with the added benefit of further reach contacts.

Obviously you'll have to look at hooking it up to your vehicles electrics as well as mounting an antenna.

With a homebase setup you'll have to add the expense of a good power supply as well as coax cable and/or a homebase antenna. You could do the old trick of sticking a mag mount onto the proverbial biscuit tin but this really only worked back in the 1980's when there were more people on air, closer together and biscuit tins were still metal! Wink

You can save money with basic FM or FM/AM only radios but much will depend on radio activity in your area. With a more expensive multimode radio you'll have the added advantage of SSB or sideband modes where signal efficiency is much better for further reaching contacts.

Then there's thing like SWR meters which obviously come in handy for when you install/tune your antenna.

As you can see things can soon add up cash wise very quickly!

There's nothing worse than seeing someone spend very little and not making contacts so give it all up and similarly you can splash out a fortune and still not make much contact so feel cash bereft and cheated too.

Radio interests are definitely better when you're in it for the long haul learning all you need to know about setting up a good station as well as time and often dedication to making contacts. If you're the sort that buzzes with excitement with the thought or actuality of making radio contacts then you'll do well.

I've left you with a bit to think about and wish you well with any decisions you make as well as future radio activity.

It can all be tremendous fun which is why most of here do it.

All the best,
Victor

Razz229, Alan Pilot, Sharpshooter, BurnTheWitch and Mrtubbs like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

Starter kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter kit   Starter kit Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2022 7:53 pm

to true its fun and when it stops been do not do what some have done sell the radio and antenna keep them put them some were safe, as one day you might want to come back, buy new and you will have good warranty , but go mobile and you will here lots more pick a good spot it does not need to on top of a mounting if you have flat all around and there is a little rise in the ground thats a good spot, and a hill you do not need to be right on the top see which is the best sweep away, i do that and on a day with no skip on i speak to great friends 65 miles away get your google heights and pick were you live and it will help

Razz229, Victor, Alan Pilot and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Starter kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter kit   Starter kit Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starter kit
Page 1 of 1