Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Request callsign....
HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeToday at 6:42 pm by 53 Prefect

» Yes, I am still breathing.
HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeToday at 6:36 pm by 53 Prefect

» 1/2 wav or 5/8 wav
HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeToday at 6:35 pm by Des Collier

» My New CB Radio YouTube channel.
HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeToday at 6:31 pm by 53 Prefect

» Call Sign Application
HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeToday at 4:10 pm by Robert Martin

» Which handheld
HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeToday at 12:58 pm by GhostRider

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeToday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

Keywords
Mobile supply lincoln call ss9900 sign meter antenna chart president yaesu callsign power ALINCO 6900 9900 Baofeng Mckinley list display software 2022 frequency 2023 Sirio anytone
QRZ Database

HELP I'M LOST!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Baldrik

Call Sign : 26-CT-4667
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Lowestoft
Equipment Used : Dynascan 10M66

HELP I'M LOST!! Empty
PostSubject: HELP I'M LOST!!   HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2022 8:31 pm

A long long time ago I had a York 863 modded to get usb and lsb. Not had rig for years! Recently I was given a President Mckinley Export model a swr meter and 30 amp power supply! So I thought  I might try again! Rig looks ever so complicated! Is it any good, and what aerial is best? Will be back as forgotten all and got lots of questions!! Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

HELP I'M LOST!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP I'M LOST!!   HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 6:19 am

Hi Tony,

There are many members here that own and operate the President McKinley and by all accounts it's a pretty good and fully fledged multi mode/multi band CB radio. It may take you a little while to get used to operating it with all the 'bells & whistles' but the manual is pretty good and there are plenty of YouTube videos on this radio. Worth having a search on the old internet and perhaps some other members who own this radio can give you a few pointers.

As for an antenna, the best one is often whatever one you can put up. (Certainly better than no antenna! Wink )

If you're running mobile any good mag mount will serve nicely and with a vehicle at least you can drive to high ground to gain an advantage.
(Easiest way to add antenna height.)

For home use a good home base antenna will serve you well and up to you whether that is a half wave, five eighths, etc. The 'bigger' antennas will serve you much better than the cheaper small antenna systems that's for sure.

You'll probably find there are many other caveats or points of view as regards manufacturers, type of coax to use etc. The best advice I can give you is don't skimp out by buying cheap equipment, buy the best you can afford where possible.

I hope that's of help, but do enjoy yourself whilst getting set up and learning to operate your radio. HELP I'M LOST!! 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Baldrik likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Baldrik

Call Sign : 26-CT-4667
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Lowestoft
Equipment Used : Dynascan 10M66

HELP I'M LOST!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP I'M LOST!!   HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 6:31 am

Thank you so much!! I'm sure ill have lots of questions!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

HELP I'M LOST!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP I'M LOST!!   HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 6:33 am

A York-863 with usb now that would be seeing and worth some money now ???.
I only ever did the FM mid band mod on them.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

HELP I'M LOST!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP I'M LOST!!   HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 6:42 am

No worries Tony.

There are a lot of helpful members here who are often happy to answer any questions you may have so fire away and enjoy the forum.
Might be worth searching through some of the older postings too as the forum is a bit of goldmine with great nuggets of information.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

HELP I'M LOST!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP I'M LOST!!   HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 6:51 am

Alan,

That could be a mention for one of the typical 'mid block' conversions common back in the day. Although the York's did have a similar appearance to the old Hygain V and it wasn't unusual to have radios re-badged. My old NATO had a UK27/81 decal as did my old Tristar 747. I even saw a Murphy homebase modded once with a Cybernet SSB board hooked up inside!

The things we did to avoid hassle with 'Buzby' were well founded. Wink

Canobeer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HELP I'M LOST!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HELP I'M LOST!!   HELP I'M LOST!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HELP I'M LOST!!
Page 1 of 1