Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitimeToday at 8:15 pm by karelgol

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitimeToday at 7:26 pm by SangueG

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitimeToday at 6:23 pm by madmax

» new call sign
ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitimeToday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

» CT call sign request
ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitimeToday at 1:50 pm by Petesevern

» EU conditions have started
ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitimeToday at 10:41 am by babis3g

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitimeToday at 8:51 am by babis3g

» HF Contacts 15m
ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitimeToday at 8:44 am by Ivy Mike

» South Coast PMR net report
ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitimeToday at 8:12 am by Razz229

Keywords
meter anytone lincoln 2023 list Mckinley 9900 supply ss9900 Mobile Baofeng 6900 yaesu frequency software 2022 display call sign president Sirio callsign antenna chart ALINCO power
QRZ Database

ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3366
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : North Manchester
Equipment Used : crt 6900n - midland 705d -

ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Empty
PostSubject: ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC   ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2022 5:50 pm

About a year ago got myself a 2nd hand Zetagi MB+5 and wired it up for the CRT SS9900. Main purpose to allow finger tip usage. I like the 9900 standard fist mic. I was very happy at first - really worked well then I got a buzz on transmit. It didn't wipe the audio out but increased with volume. Talking about it and another breaker told me he had the same problem and weedled it down to the battery touching the chasis of the mic. His solution - insulating tape around the battery and bingo - no hum. Carried on with it and thought I could do with a longer lead twixt mic and set so looked at a length of curly cable off a Tti 660 (they make very long connecting cables) wired it up myself and proud of it working except the buzz has come back on Tx., after it working for quite a few months without probs. Where can I look to sort it out - would love to do it myself but everything I touch is anti-Midas...... any ideas anybody?
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC   ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2022 9:48 am

Hi Thomas,

Sounds like you're having the same/similar issues as you had with your last microphone extension lead you posted about before.

The problem with tracking down such issues is there seems to be many 'suggestions' or 'solutions' presented that are usually stabs-in-the-dark or "it worked for me" statements but never actually fixing the original problem. (Sometimes just luckily 'reducing' the effects is good enough for most.)

There's things like "RFI" (Radio Frequency Interference), to Common Mode Currents, Ground Loops, the "Pin 1 Problem", poor grounds, etc. that can all give you woes with unwanted noises on your transmitted audio. Obviously putting on a longer lead can exasperate your problems for any one of those issues.

If you like things complicated or gaining a better understanding there are many documents available such as the following :-

https://content-files.shure.com/KnowledgeBaseFiles/troubleshooting-rfi-jim-brown-ham.pdf

Good reading eh? Wink
(Ignore the 'Bucket Treatment' - that's just a sense of humour thing.)

The 'simple' solution would be just to remove the microphone extension if it works OK without it. (Not a fix but definitely a 'solution'!)

There's bound to be other suggestions involving 'ferrites' or other such and you can fair old chase your tail with all of these let alone the 'dark magic' solutions. (It seems your battery wrapped in insulating tape may have shown up ground loop issues.)

Ultimately only you can 'fix' your problem by understanding what's causing it in the first place or as many do just trying everything in the 'book' until it's "better".

I remember an old breaker from years back that had a power/desk mic problem but everyone that turned up to try and 'help' him couldn't find a problem or failed miserably at a solution. Turns out that when he was having an evening relaxing 'rag-chew' he would kick off his slippers, place his feet on his floor mounted big linear power supply (to keep his feet warm?) whilst holding the mic by the neck resting on his gut....and the buzz would be back. Very Happy

Power/Desk mic amplifier electronics don't usually help with such problems.

I hope you get sorted, wish you luck, as well as wish you well. ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Blue Boy likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3366
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : North Manchester
Equipment Used : crt 6900n - midland 705d -

PostSubject: Re: ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC   ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2022 9:08 pm

Thanks Victor,

Ever since I started with CB I have had to mess!!! I can't help it. I have had all sorts of good luck in adapting things but the majority of the time I end up wishing I'd never bothered. You're right - the situation never struck me - that's because I have an extension to the fist mic for the 9900 which is working perfectly. I also got a Turner 3 desk mic as part of a bundle. Somebody has chopped every connecting wire off at the board. Got the schematic and intend to desolder every part and replace. I like the one with the 'body connector' - just shows how complicated things can get. Thanks again for the response - might start on the Zetagi again looking for possible solutions as I go along,......

Tom (Blue Boy) CT3366

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC   ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ZETAGI MB+5 DESK MIC
Page 1 of 1