Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 8:15 pm by karelgol

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 7:26 pm by SangueG

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 6:23 pm by madmax

» new call sign
Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

» CT call sign request
Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 1:50 pm by Petesevern

» EU conditions have started
Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:41 am by babis3g

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 8:51 am by babis3g

» HF Contacts 15m
Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 8:44 am by Ivy Mike

» South Coast PMR net report
Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 8:12 am by Razz229

Keywords
supply anytone 6900 antenna Sirio president yaesu Mobile Baofeng sign Mckinley list callsign ALINCO 2023 display 2022 lincoln meter frequency ss9900 chart 9900 software power call
QRZ Database

Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave

Go down 
+3
Alan Pilot
SangueG
Deltawhiskey220
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 am

Washing line pole height and worked the world.
But that was 40 years ago on the 11m band.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Deltawhiskey220

Call Sign : 26-CT-4852
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : London
Equipment Used : Harrier cbx ,stalker 9,superstar 360

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2023 7:21 am

Hi my swr is 1.1 on 40 FM and 1.3 on 1fm UK 40...
I will check my coax cable later with my tester just to make sure it's ok...
Her indoors won't let me have it any higher I just about got to have an eighteen footer I started off talking about the 5/8th 24 footer and the other one sounded better hahaha...
So I might be able to squeeze another 6 ft under it at a push..
I havent cut the coax down yet there is a bit of surplus at the base of the antenna, not coiled something I will look into as well....
So yesterday afternoon I had a flick about on sidebands and heard stations from America also checked out the Superbowl channel and heard the crazy Americans on their too amazing stuff

Les-1, Tristar and Miura like this post

Back to top Go down
Deltawhiskey220

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2023 1:30 pm

Right so I have been checking out my coax with my meter and it was fine no short...
I changed the pl plug on the antenna coax end and cut the excess able down....
So now I have less noise on the signal meter and before when I keyed up on FM and am the needle would slam to the right..
That has now stopped and it's only going to 10 on the meter so there was a problem with the plug at antenna end..
Just waiting for the people to come back on I was speaking to the other day to check how I sound now...
I'm listening to sidebands at mo love it

Les-1 and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Deltawhiskey220

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 9:18 am

Just a quick update....
I haven't heard much about on ssb...
So yesterday I made a bracket for the side of my shed and put the gainmaster up about 6ft of the ground instead of 2 ...
I also trimmed the antenna to 1800 instead of 1820 brought the swr down a bit still have loads of room to bring it down further..
Anyway powered up the sidebands yesterday afternoon and was amazed by the amount of American stations coming through...
I put a few calls out but didn't get anything..
Maybe it's my rig I don't know will get someone to rig check me on ssb...
I have been bitten by the bug and am looking at a new CB a CRT ss9900 ,I do like the old cobras 148 and 360's but if you have to send them off and spend more on them to have them checked over I think it's more feasible to buy new..shame though...
All the best
Lee

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 11:01 am

Great to hear how you've been getting on with it all Lee. Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 1f44d

The old expression with antennas is that "height is might" and I know with every antenna I've built they all definitely work better the higher you can mount them.

I wouldn't worry about hearing Americans and not getting back to them....most of them are running HUGE amounts of power shooting any skip they can find. It's been pretty exciting on those upper HF frequencies (CB bands included) just recently and roll on the summer months when it all gets really exciting!

Really good to hear your enthusiasm for it all and looking forward to further posts you make.

All the best,
Victor

Les-1 and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 11:26 am

Your looking at the ss9900 i had one but found it very fiddly too many tiny buttons so it didn't stay long at all.
The one i like is a very similar radio and that is the 6900.
More like the old type radios cobra and the likes have a look.

Tristar and Deltawhiskey220 like this post

Back to top Go down
Deltawhiskey220

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 1:04 pm

I would like to get the antenna higher Victor but her indoors won't have it..
Might just add an extra ft here and there see if she notices.
About the American stations not hearing me, people in London calling the Americans and getting back to them.
I even put 200 watts on and still nothing...
Need to have a rig check just to make sure or I will be for ever wondering it's my set up..

Alan I read a post about the ss9900 and you posted about you rid rid of it...
I have had a look at the 6900 and I like the look of that something to consider thanks....
Back to top Go down
babis3g
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
babis3g

Call Sign : 18-CT-006
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Corfu Greece, jm99ug
Equipment Used : PNI 6500 & Sirio Boomerang 27A

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2023 10:41 pm

From what i know these antennas even are low close to ground, to work they need to have open space (example not close to a building/wall unless antenna is higher) & that is why i am watching the topic with these specific antennas, because i do have very close a large higher building at west east side of me

Some info ...
I am watching the US stations almost the last 2 weeks appearing nearly every evening at eu40 band am mode (Corfu) ... as Admin said, from what i heard, for sure they are using huge power & also most using directional antennas towards USA & opposite ... the US stations reporting most times all can hear is a buzz & lot of noise because so many trying at once to reach at the same freq (example ch6)... for sure if you keep trying will reach them & apart ssb, to test the antenna, try EU40 band set at AM mode & check ch6,11,16,17,20,22,25,28 (ch6,11,28 are the strongest in my area) very sure are also reaching UK at EU40 band because some times i do hear few from Wales, Scotland, UK calling as well at the channels above & some they do get reply from the US at AM mode ... Good Luck ... (edit to me appearing about 13:00 utc & later - but time depending the day, can be later most days 1-2 hrs before gets dark)

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLwycXZhdgesb28ovl5Umw
Deltawhiskey220

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 7:15 am

Hi babis...
I'm quite lucky as there are no tall buildings too close to me plugs I live in a bungalow
Back to top Go down
Deltawhiskey220

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 7:23 am

Hi babis...
I'm quite lucky as there are no tall buildings too close to me plus I live in a bungalow ..
My antenna is about 7ft off the ground at mo and I have talked the wife into letting me raise it up another 3 metres so will see how that goes...
I have been on lsb mids yesterday 24 right up to 40 and the traffic from America was amazing even Canada .
Haven't really been on euro 40 so I will give that a listen over the next few days thank you for that...
LeeSirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Img_2015

Les-1 and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Deltawhiskey220

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2023 7:26 am

Quick update...
Didn't really get on with the 1/2 wave gainmaster good for uk40 but for me not on ssb...
So I packed everything up a while ago...
I have been reading up on problems I have had with high swr when using my amplifier and looking into different antennas..
So I bought a thunderbolt for 10 11 metres...
I used the gainmaster antenna plus I put 3 sections of a roach pole on top to give me the height I needed..
Taped the thunderbolt to it and put it up a couple of days ago..
I haven't had chance to check it out on ssb yet but was getting out well on uk40 local though..
The swr Is 1.1 with this I'm well pleased and I bought a 1.1 balun and now my swr only goes to 1.5 with the amp on so that's a massive improvement..
If I don't get on with this antenna for ssb then I'm going to get a moxon and use that for ssb and put a 4ft firestick on top for uk40...
All the best

Back to top Go down
Deltawhiskey220

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2023 7:28 am

Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Img_2016

Les-1, Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2023 9:07 am

Good to see your update there Lee and well done for having the tenacity to stick with it. Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 1f44d 

Here's hoping the summer skip brings you some good DX!

Tristar and Deltawhiskey220 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave   Sirio - Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thunderpole 5 or sirio hygain 1/2 wave
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2