Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New call sign request
You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeToday at 8:41 pm by spod

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeToday at 8:28 pm by Razz229

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeToday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» EU conditions have started
You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeToday at 4:48 pm by glenn dog

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:42 pm by Razz229

Keywords
Baofeng lincoln callsign meter sign display call ALINCO 2023 antenna chart software Sirio 9900 anytone Mckinley president ss9900 power yaesu list frequency 6900 Mobile 2022 supply
QRZ Database

You're getting too old for radio when...........?

Go down 
+6
Tonyvic
skyrider
Alan Pilot
babis3g
Sharpshooter
Victor
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

You're getting too old for radio when...........? Empty
PostSubject: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 28, 2023 8:16 pm

You're getting too old for radio when......

You've spent the better part of an afternoon trying to rewire a microphone plug!! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Flipping wires are too small for my fat fingers, plug has too many pins, (Yaesu 8 pin DIN), your best glasses don't help, "helping-hands" tool don't help either and two of the wires look the same shade of blueish/green!! (Even though they're different colours...apparently!)

Got there in the end but don't want to have a repeat that exercise again.

You're also getting too old for radio when......

You're chatting with a mate on a 2m repeater and he asks you to QSY to a particular frequency/channel, you shoot off, forget where you were supposed to be going and then land back up on the repeater calling your mate again. I though that only happened at 'thresholds' like when you leave the room but forgot why you left in the first place. scratch Very Happy 

Ha! Ha! You've got to laugh or else you'd be flipping crying! lol!

How about you lot? Any similar stories?

(I know there must be loads with stuff like software, programming radios and the like, let alone what once used to be easy to do like the aforementioned mic plug!)

Over to you. I promise we won't laugh at you, but laugh along with you. You're getting too old for radio when...........? 1f44d

Remember, even if you're still young and sprightly I'll bet you too have those "Duh?" moments!

Les-1, Alan Pilot, Ivy Mike, Sharpshooter, DerekF and Gaz like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 28, 2023 10:41 pm

Yes I was chatting with a few on cb the other night and a breaker around 82 mile away was only clearly heard by one.
So a frequency was chosen on sideband but I couldn't find it stored anywhere on my 9900 nor could I remember how to change it manually. I did remember the following day but that was too late 🤣 looks like some frequencies are out after checking delboys blog but I've left it for now as I started feeling ill again 🙄☹

I recently bought a new soldering iron with a base with helping hands, the times I've struggled trying to hold everything hopefully no more.
I've also bought one of those headband magnifiers with built in led lights. Mainly as I've a stash of airfix models and want to revisit building them as a way of relaxing and whiling away the hours .
But they may be something that interest you Victor,
£12.45 off fleabay 👍🏼

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
babis3g
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
babis3g

Call Sign : 18-CT-006
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Corfu Greece, jm99ug
Equipment Used : PNI 6500 & Sirio Boomerang 27A

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 28, 2023 11:53 pm

recently i opened a pni6500 to adjust watts & fm dev, their screws was so tiny had to use large book magnifier & a strong led small torch with 2 AA batteries) at the age of 54 ...
How ever with a cheap eye magnifier for a single eye (the one using for watches) & good light i still can adjust an automatic watch Wink where screws are way tiniest

Last year i did some soldering to add a small coax cable & a uhf female plug to a FM radio for external aerial & i burn the plastic case Laughing

As for memory some times not remember what i ate afternoon Surprised ok i just kidding here but i am getting close to it...but checking at fm for possible dx catches some times i do forget was freqs was early (to recheck if i think could be something very far)

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLwycXZhdgesb28ovl5Umw
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 5:59 am

JML Mighty sight.
Gifted to me.
Saying no more lol.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 6:32 am

Glad I'm not the only one! Wink

The suggestions of headset magnifiers would be great.....except I've got some.....and they don't help the "fat fingers"!! Very Happy Very Happy

(Plus you can see your previously burnt fingertips from where that iron got too close!)

Anyone else struggle with winding little toroids? 

I used to wind them without a thought and nowadays after winding even one of those little damn things my knuckles feel like they've been struck on the back with a hammer! (Definitely a touch of arthritis there. Wink )

I think as you get older you also appreciate an old "boat-anchor" radio too.....dials you can see and knobs/controls you can actually rotate with clawed old hands or fat fingers! Very Happy

Don't stand a chance remembering where all those menu settings are on modern stuff.

Anyone started struggling with a 'fist' mic after a long over?
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 8:00 am

This is the boy for the job Victor.
You're getting too old for radio when...........? Iron10

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 9:04 am

Got one! You're getting too old for radio when...........? 1f44d 

Henley Solon soldering iron, (mine has a wooden handle!), takes a good 10 minutes to warm up but you could solder an SO239 to a radios metal chassis with it. Smile Very Happy

Had mine for decades & decades being the only iron that's survived that long, (the other junk always packs up).

Bit hard to solder mic socket connections with it though Alan mate. Wink

Glad to see I'm not the only one with a monster soldering iron.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 9:36 am

Armed to the dentures!!

You're getting too old for radio when...........? Solder10

The one that looks like an old fashioned hairdryer (bottom right) is actually an old hot-air gun for heat shrink sleeving and the like.

Surprisingly it's rather good for removing surface mount components with an appropriate nozzle......

When I've got the magnifier headset on! Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 10:22 am

Might plug that big one in and see if it still works.
No idea what it would be used for.
I have a black version of your red one along with 2 Weller 24v with base and a 240v Weller.
Plus 3 or 4 others not sure on make.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 10:47 am

I use mine for the big jobs Alan, soldering tin work, removing RF screening, chassis mounts, etc.

The modern version at the top is alright but it will often cool down too quick if desoldering chassis mounts/lugs and the like and that's when the old Henley hold its own even if it's a bit unwieldy.

(Shhh, I used to do a bit of stained glass work back in the day and the Henley is good for that too!)

All this reminiscing and digging stuff out meant I handily came across this solder pot....

You're getting too old for radio when...........? Solder11

Completely forgot I had it and handy for tinning multiple wires - strip them, twist them, dip in flux, once in the solder pot and job's a good'un. You're getting too old for radio when...........? 1f44d 

You're getting too old when you can't remember what stuff you actually have! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 10:57 am

LOL yes too old.
Just found 2 more 25w Henley Solon's.
Not looking any more i have too much and starting to find things that i have replaced as i couldn't find them  shush don't tell Linda.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 12:38 pm

Decided to check the plug on the big bertha iron before plugging it in lol
Anybody think i was right in putting it back in the box it came from well for now.
You're getting too old for radio when...........? Iron_f10
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 2:05 pm

That's definitely got too old!

Rubber insulated lead completely perished there Alan mate and I know I replaced mine many moons ago with some black silicone mains lead. Just as flexible (handy for a big iron) and stands up to the same wear & tear as the original. You're getting too old for radio when...........? 1f44d

Thank Gawd you didn't plug it in!

My Henley is 125 Watt but you mention yours are 25 Watt?
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 3:19 pm

The big one is 125w i also have 2 others at 25w.
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 8:05 pm

yes only yesterday i walked out of the back door and into the shed and thought what have i come in here for so back into the house and immediately remembered why i had gone into the shed, such is life  Rolling Eyes

Last edited by skyrider on Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Victor, Samurai27, Silver Surfer and Gaz like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 1:56 pm

I just put a new flex on that big iron and it still works.
How old could it be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 3:32 pm

I am to Old because, I now have a note pad at the bottom of the stares to make a note of why I went up there in the first place, then forgot to read it Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

Call Sign : 26-CT-4013/M7DVQ
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu 991a - Imax 2000 - CRT Electro - Sharman X50

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 4:01 pm

You youngsters have no idea how funny it gets at my age! Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://allradio.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 4:17 pm

It was funny when my Grandson asked:
Grandad can you make a noise like a Frog please.
I asked why?
He replied:
Well Mummy said when you Croake we will be OK for a million quid.
Rolling Eyes Youngens EH.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 5:14 pm

@ Alan -

They made them from 1935 onwards, were popular in the 50s/60s with just about every Television/Radio workshop having them and I believe the military used them in their workshops too. There were complaints about them being rubbish but that was usually by the rabble that rather than use a cellulose sponge to clean the tip would otherwise hammer them on the bench/stand, leave them powered for days on end or dip the buggers in sal-ammoniac! Shocked

@ Tony -

Yep, when you're glad that you don't wake up dead in the morning! I think most of us are here are whipper-snappers compared to you my friend. Wink

@ Bernie -

Too funny mate! Very Happy I did make this posting to have a bit of a laugh and shoot the breeze. You're getting too old for radio when...........? 1f44d 

You're getting too old for radio when.....

You scream "This frequency is in use!" when it's clearly free from radio traffic and to top it all you don't give your call sign?!? Rolling Eyes

"Been having our net on this frequency for years mate.....it is belongs to usses....." Very Happy
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 4:26 am

WHEELNUT wrote:
I asked why?
He replied:

Never realised you were a millionaire Bernie, will have to put my prices up Shocked
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 6:42 am

Leaving that big iron on for days it would heat the shack.
Could do with a better cable as i only had a 2 core but it was only to see if it worked.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 7:48 am

13oots2 wrote:
WHEELNUT wrote:
I asked why?
He replied:

Never realised you were a millionaire Bernie, will have to put my prices up Shocked
Hmmm no where near, may be in debt Shocked
Back to top Go down
richf
Contributor
Contributor
richf

Call Sign : 163-CT-067 GW0HDY
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Cwmbran, SE Wales
Equipment Used : FT450D FT818ND QCX MINI

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2023 8:10 pm

When you wake up in the morning and in pain you know you are still alive.
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 28, 2023 10:17 am

hot glue guns i have a nice one, and its just the right size, but how hot the glue get so i put some on my finger, i do not have great felling all over my body go out side bear feet in 4 inches of snow and felt red hot thats how bad it is, So i put some hot glue on my finger, did not feel that hot a few seconds it hit the pain took the skin of my finger or turn the solder iron of and think it will cool and pick it up, and hell thats hot, lots of little things like i had built up my A99 and the old woman came up to me that thing is affecting my tv, i said thats bad is it bad right now its awful , so there is me with the coax with pl259 not connected, i said its not connected just getting antenna up you should have seen the face on it never said and she could not accept been wrong funny as hell a big cheesy grin on my face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You're getting too old for radio when...........?   You're getting too old for radio when...........? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You're getting too old for radio when...........?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next