Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by Lynton

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:59 am by SangueG

» South Coast PMR net report
Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 am by Razz229

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 10:41 am by John123

» New call sign request (Issued)
Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

Keywords
power Mckinley software president meter call ALINCO frequency chart sign 2022 Mobile anytone 9900 display Sirio yaesu 2023 lincoln callsign supply list antenna 6900 ss9900 Baofeng
QRZ Database

Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
geoff.brooks.73

Call Sign : 26-CT-4736
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Reading berkshire
Equipment Used : Cobra,148 gtl dx

Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Empty
PostSubject: Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction)   Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 1:51 am

Smile
Hi my name is Geoff i live in Reading Berkshire and have just returned to Cb after 40 odd yrs, I started on am in roughly 1979 till about 1983.I recently overheard a discussion "I'm quiet nosey"saying cb was making a comeback, so I thought I would find out for myself.
I managed to purchase a cobra 148 gtl dx mk2 at a very good price, having had a cobra in the 80s I hoped it was still as good as when I first owned one. I'm pleased to say it performs very well considering its age.
Thank you for letting me join this forum and i look forward to learning more on how things operate all these years later.

Rgds Geoff

glenn dog, Victor, Mavic2Pro and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction)   Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 5:25 am

Hi Geoff and welcome to CTdx.
A lot on here are old timers returned to the hobby.

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction)   Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 5:31 am

Hi Geoff and welcome aboard. 

There's a lot of "old timers" here who were away from radio for a number of decades but finally managed to find their away back into it so you're in good company. Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) 1f44d 

Well done with the Cobra rig and glad you're getting on with it, a good sidebander is still the way to go. 

CB is always making a 'comeback' and more often than not complaints abound of how it has died but I suppose it depends on your point of view really. The licence requirements were dropped quite some years ago now, (like anyone actually bothered Wink ) so it's all licence free nowadays with both the UK FM frequencies to hand as well as the EU/CEPT (USA standard or mid band) which includes AM and SSB use. All good stuff.

Freeband  frequencies (such as the old triple 5 or 27.555MHz) are still technically illegal to use but as ever often full of international CQ calls when propagation conditions are favourable. 

There are some great individuals that run some good Nets so always worth having a scan about those bands to see who you can hear and worth checking out the 'Nets' section of the forum for schedules.

In my own area the frequencies are a bit quieter as far as local copies go but my first summer of DX a few years ago saw me lapping it up and after all these years I finally grabbed my ticket for those extra frequencies too. Wink

If you were an original DX'er you'll find it's all still the same and I hope you enjoy it all much as you would have back in the day. 
(We're ramping up a nice solar cycle so great for those of us re-living it all.)

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog and Mavic2Pro like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
geoff.brooks.73

PostSubject: Re: Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction)   Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 10:16 am

Thank you for the welcome chaps I don't have many stations round my area but now and again getting good clear stations from abroad, I think I have applied for a call sign how long roughly does it take to get one, im in no rush just curious also do I get it via email ?

Cheers Geoff

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction)   Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 2:27 pm

You've obviously missed it Geoff but I issued your call sign as quickly as I was able to. See link below :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t5125-lost-thread-callsign-request-issued#41486

Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction)   Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2023 7:34 am

Hi Geoff, welcome to the CTDX Group 
73s 
Steve.
Back to top Go down
geoff.brooks.73

PostSubject: Re: Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction)   Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2023 11:40 am

Thank you Steve I'm just doing a lot of reading at the moment and finding it very interesting and informative

StevieG and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction)   Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi to all old timer giving it another go lol (Introduction)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: New Member Introductions & Call Sign Applications-
Jump to: