Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
ALINCO supply 9900 president Mckinley 2022 chart 6900 frequency antenna list Mobile anytone lincoln callsign software display sign meter call Sirio power Baofeng yaesu 2023 ss9900
QRZ Database

Tuning and balun on home made T2LT

Go down 
+2
Pappy Nick
Dogfish
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dogfish
Dogfish

Call Sign : CT2379
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Surrey Hills
Equipment Used : Grant 2 + Tankwhip mobile with Sirio Gainmaster 5/8ths homebased

Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Empty
PostSubject: Tuning and balun on home made T2LT   Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2019 11:31 pm

I can't seem to get the SWR to an acceptable level, 2.5:1. I am not happy to run a linear with the SWR that high.

The dimensions are:
Element length = 2.950m.
Balan to element length = 1.640m
Coax balun on 11cm diameter stiff cardboard with 5 turns of Super 8 xx coax.

Would increasing the balun to 18cm help?
Would just raising or lowering the choke reduce the SWR?

I am waiting some HF antenna books so I could learn more but in the meantime thought I'd ask here.

TIA, Simon.

Back to top Go down
Pappy Nick

Call Sign : 26-CT-3414 26-SW-1919 M7NBX
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Bristol, UK
Equipment Used : Xiegu X5105, Retevis RT-95, Anytone AT-D878UV, ALINCO DX-10, CRT SS6900 N, CRT One N, Baofeng UV-5R, Alinco DJ-X3

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and balun on home made T2LT   Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2019 7:52 am

Hi Simon ....

I'm no expert, and stand to be corrected, but most T2LT "designs" I've come across use RG58 coax which may have a different velocity factor to Super 8, which affects the dimensions of the element etc; so that may be one thing to look at.

Another thing is the height above ground. I've seen that affecting the SWR of some people's T2LT antennas too. I have a vague recollection of it needing to be at least a 1/4 wave-length high.

And, finally, check your connections. I couldn't get the SWR down on my dipole until I sorted out my rather crappy first attempt at soldering a P-259 plug on to the feeder.

73s

Nick
Back to top Go down
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and balun on home made T2LT   Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2019 8:20 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=senQ5_fc5WU   VID by Gary CT(X)104
Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and balun on home made T2LT   Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2019 1:21 pm

The dimensions look a bit odd. 5 turns on 11cm for the choke/balun looks as per the usual design, but the quarter wave sections - i.e. the coax above the choke, and the length of wire or coax inner above it would both usually be about 2.6m/102". The principle of operation is that the T2LT is a dipole, so the two halves of it should be about the same length - though it is usual to trim the top section to get a decent match.

The velocity factor of the cable shouldn't matter as while the "bottom element" is made up of the coax, the radiation is taking place from the outside of the outer sheath, which will not be affected by the velocity factor. The choke isn't actually performing any balanced/unbalanced transformation, it is there simply to trap the RF at a quarter-wave length down the coax to create what behaves like half a half-wave dipole.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and balun on home made T2LT   Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2019 2:28 pm

26TC62 wrote:

The velocity factor of the cable shouldn't matter as while the "bottom element" is made up of the coax, the radiation is taking place from the outside of the outer sheath, which will not be affected by the velocity factor. The choke isn't actually performing any balanced/unbalanced transformation, it is there simply to trap the RF at a quarter-wave length down the coax to create what behaves like half a half-wave dipole.

The velocity factor is affected by no small part by the insulation of the cable so even though the radiation is happening from the outer sheath that is covered by insulation.

EVERYTHING that is in contact with the outer surface of a conductor, because RF flows on the surface of a conductor, affects the velocity factor. It is one of the reasons that wire antennas de-tune when it rains, even the water on the wire/insulation alters the VF of the wire.
Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and balun on home made T2LT   Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2019 8:31 am

Northern Crusader wrote:

The velocity factor is affected by no small part by the insulation of the cable so even though the radiation is happening from the outer sheath that is covered by insulation.

EVERYTHING that is in contact with the outer surface of a conductor, because RF flows on the surface of a conductor, affects the velocity factor. It is one of the reasons that wire antennas de-tune when it rains, even the water on the wire/insulation alters the VF of the wire.

That's true, but the VF of the outer sheath of any kind of coax is not going to vary as much between different types of coax as the spread of VFs of different kinds of coax operating as a coax cable - there is about a 30% difference in wavelength in coax between one with 0.66 VF and 0.95. For the lower half of a T2LT, the VF of the coax *as coax* is irrelevant. There is not going to be enough variance in VF of the outer sheath between different kinds of coax to make much of a difference. That has been my own experience having made them out of RG58, Mini 8, RG213 and even RG59.
Back to top Go down
Dogfish
Dogfish

Equipment Used : Grant 2 + Tankwhip mobile with Sirio Gainmaster 5/8ths homebased

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and balun on home made T2LT   Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Pappy Nick. Thank you, I have rechecked the soldering and it seems fine, I did use the vf for super 8, and Im sending it up a 10m fiberglass only pole so the height should be ok'ish, good call though.

Bean. Thank you also, I have watched the video and used the internet calculators and have got to the position I am now in. Your contribution however is useful as I have now bookmarked the page!

26CT62.
but the quarter wave sections - i.e. the coax above the choke, and the length of wire or coax inner above it would both usually be about 2.6m/102". The principle of operation is that the T2LT is a dipole, so the two halves of it should be about the same length - though it is usual to trim the top section to get a decent match. wrote:

Yes, that is what I thought and found it a bit weird that the dipole calculator gave differing lengths.
I also understand about the VF factor which has a part to play, thank you to Northern Crusader for expanding my knowledge a little further on this particular aspect.
Northern Crusader, I would be interested to see what effect covering the foamy centre element with the outer shell of "network cable waterproof sheathing" has on the swr when it gets wet. I understand the principle now of water getting into the coax. I would really like to use the T2LT on my 10m pole all through the winter to participate in the nets as an alternative to my trusty Tank Whip.

So, I am going out to the car right now to retreive the T2LT as the Mrs has said I am allowed to lay it out on the front room floor in front of the telly to make some adjustments.

Thank you all for helping me out.

Next projects are an Inverted dipole and then a Mag Loop once I find a suitably priced air capacitor and a friendly plumber who will bend my copper pipe.
I really have got a bad antenna bug, that's the beauty of this hobby tho'.

Thanks again all.
Kind regards.
Simon.
26CT2379
M7SMN
santa santa

Last edited by Dogfish on Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Couldn't get the quote to show, ametuer eh!)
Back to top Go down
Pappy Nick

Call Sign : 26-CT-3414 26-SW-1919 M7NBX
QTH or Location : Bristol, UK
Equipment Used : Xiegu X5105, Retevis RT-95, Anytone AT-D878UV, ALINCO DX-10, CRT SS6900 N, CRT One N, Baofeng UV-5R, Alinco DJ-X3

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and balun on home made T2LT   Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2019 8:57 am

Dogfish wrote:

once I find ... a friendly plumber who will bend my copper pipe.

Ooh Er Missus !!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dogfish
Dogfish

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and balun on home made T2LT   Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2019 12:26 am

UPDATE:

My T2LT is finally tuned in and ready to go.
I have decided to use it as a "stealth" antenna and put it right up in the top of a tree at my home QTH which is 3 times higher than my Sirio Gainmaster 5/8 antenna.

Thank you all for your helpful advice.

Kind regards.

Simon.

Big Massey likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and balun on home made T2LT   Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2019 5:03 pm

Dogfish wrote:

Northern Crusader, I would be interested to see what effect covering the foamy centre element with the outer shell of "network cable waterproof sheathing" has on the swr when it gets wet. I understand the principle now of water getting into the coax.

Yeah coax will wick up water like a sponge. The sheathing will alter the velocity factor of the "wire" and affect the tuning. I'd say to play with antenna modelling software like EZNEC which allows you to put in the dielectric constant of the insulation you're using if you're able to find the specs for it by creating a simple dipole with bare wire for say 28MHz then altering the insulation for the wires and seeing where the new resonant frequency is.

Antenna modelling software is a good way of learning how antennas work and how things like varying their height and length and things like nearby metal structures can alter the signal.
Back to top Go down
Big Massey

Call Sign : 108-CT-307
QTH or Location : CUMNOCK
Equipment Used : Ss6900n

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and balun on home made T2LT   Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2021 9:32 pm

How did you finally tune it buddy

billmorr likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and balun on home made T2LT   Tuning and balun on home made T2LT Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tuning and balun on home made T2LT
Page 1 of 1