Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Information requested)
KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeToday at 7:54 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeToday at 7:41 pm by GaryWilson

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION
KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeToday at 7:06 pm by BlueZinc

» New call sign request (Issued)
KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeToday at 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeToday at 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

» EU conditions have started
KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeToday at 3:18 pm by babis3g

» New callsing request
KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeToday at 1:05 pm by Miliko

» SSTV v Contest Stations
KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeToday at 10:59 am by MM0IMC

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeToday at 4:21 am by Sydthecat

Keywords
ss9900 supply frequency list software sign power call yaesu Mckinley 9900 chart Baofeng Mobile Sirio ALINCO 2023 6900 2022 antenna display lincoln president anytone meter callsign
QRZ Database

KN 990 Transceiver

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

KN 990 Transceiver Empty
PostSubject: KN 990 Transceiver   KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 12:51 pm

I put in an offer on eBay for a lightly used KN 990, the seller came back with a counteroffer and it was mine.

A long wait of a whole weekend and it arrived on a Wednesday, I was chewing the wall paper off waiting. It is dominated by a 3.5 Inch screen and has plenty of buttons, a bit like Darth Vader's briefcase. It is nowhere near the solid build of my Icom 735 but functions as intended.

Firing it up, I realised That I hadn't a clue how to use it, luckily the previous owner had printed out the manual in full and included it for me, a quick scan had me up and running. Next task was to wideband it, that took a few tries, first you have to set the VFO A memory to 9.90 then turn off and switch back on. You can then transmit on 0-30Mhz, there is another mod that allows use of higher frequencies, I believe this is 123457 with VFO A then turn off again.

In use the transceiver is very quiet for noise levels and my Icom seems a little deaf, must be an age related thing, in comparison. Receive levels seem to be a little higher than the Icom, and I am able to still have my modem on without it wiping out reception. Maximum Wattage is 15w, which is more than Foundation level allows, it is a simple enough process to tun the levels down.

One of the more interesting features is a Morse decoder, it really seems to work well, my level is zero, and it was easy to follow the messages. It also gives the dits and dahs at the top of the decoder screen, perhaps an incentive for me to learn Morse.

The screen is one of the big stars here, and I am fascinated by the waterfall, it really makes homing in on signals easy. At the moment am just listening as I take my Foundation is a little over a week.

There are loads more functions and buttons to explore and strangely an NES game emulator, perhaps I should change my CB handle to Mario!!

keithgriffin1962, Ace and DT9447 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

KN 990 Transceiver Empty
PostSubject: Re: KN 990 Transceiver   KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2023 9:30 am

Hi Mark,

You're getting quite a radio collection together ready for that Foundation licence! KN 990 Transceiver 1f44d 

Thanks for posting and I hope you enjoy working those extra bands once you've got that ticket under your belt.

All the best,
Victor

keithgriffin1962 and Ace like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

KN 990 Transceiver Empty
PostSubject: Re: KN 990 Transceiver   KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2023 8:55 am

Victor wrote:
Hi Mark,

You're getting quite a radio collection together ready for that Foundation licence! KN 990 Transceiver 1f44d 

Thanks for posting and I hope you enjoy working those extra bands once you've got that ticket under your belt.

All the best,
Victor

Am gradually working up to an Icom 7300, that would be my ultimate transceiver. I can dream on for now as my credit card company must love my spending habits Embarassed

Hopefully I will be celebrating in a week, I guess it takes a week or so for me to get my actual licence. Then I'll be off like Neddy the three-legged race horse, there will be no stopping me until the first hurdle.

Victor, keithgriffin1962 and Ace like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

KN 990 Transceiver Empty
PostSubject: Re: KN 990 Transceiver   KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2023 9:11 am

Ha! Ha! Keep going with your bargain buys Mark and you'll be able to flog the lot for a spangly new IC7300. Smile

I'm sure you'll do well with your exam and then it's the tentative wait for that RSGB paperwork to come through the post. (I'm lucky in that I don't live far from RSGB Headquarters so got mine pretty quick!)

I look forward to congratulating you and looking out for your new call sign on air. KN 990 Transceiver 1f44d

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
keithgriffin1962

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Anglesey
Equipment Used : Cobra

KN 990 Transceiver Empty
PostSubject: Re: KN 990 Transceiver   KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2023 2:46 pm

Good luck with the equipment and congratulations on the exam... I am doing my studies for the Foundation exam and hope to take it in a few weeks...Also looking for a radio to begin with...any 💡 ideas??

Ace likes this post

Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

KN 990 Transceiver Empty
PostSubject: Re: KN 990 Transceiver   KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2023 12:29 pm

keithgriffin1962 wrote:
Good luck with the equipment and congratulations on the exam... I am doing my studies for the Foundation exam and hope to take it in a few weeks...Also looking for a radio to begin with...any 💡 ideas??

It all depends on budget and what you want to do, if you have a budget in mind checkout eBay but carefully read the item description. All the radios I have bought have been lightly used or for receive only, I have a CRT 6900, CRT 9900, Icom IC-735 and the KN 990. If you just want to work 10 m, something like a CRT 6900 will get you started, from there your bank balance is the limit.

Back to top Go down
keithgriffin1962

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Anglesey
Equipment Used : Cobra

KN 990 Transceiver Empty
PostSubject: Re: KN 990 Transceiver   KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2023 5:01 pm

Thank you, will bear that in mind !!

Ace likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

KN 990 Transceiver Empty
PostSubject: Re: KN 990 Transceiver   KN 990 Transceiver Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KN 990 Transceiver
Page 1 of 1