Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitimeToday at 10:27 pm by GaryWilson

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitimeToday at 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitimeToday at 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitimeToday at 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitimeToday at 10:41 am by John123

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John H

» New call sign request (Issued)
Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

» EU conditions have started
Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:18 pm by babis3g

Keywords
frequency Mckinley ss9900 antenna power president Mobile list 2023 display meter sign software call 9900 supply 6900 chart callsign ALINCO Baofeng yaesu anytone 2022 lincoln Sirio
QRZ Database

Some Silver Rod Repairs...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MM0IMC
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 108-CT-226 / MM0IMC
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ayrshire
Equipment Used : Amstrad 901 Sidebander

Some Silver Rod Repairs... Empty
PostSubject: Some Silver Rod Repairs...   Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 pm

Here's some items I've posted elsewhere regarding silver rod antennas, specifically the matching transformer (coil) and how I repaired it...

Did you ever wonder what was in the base of those cheap "silver rods", that have been on the UK CB market for at least 40 years? Some Silver Rod Repairs... 1f914

No doubt, something like this...
This is a recently manufactured one with awful quality soldering inside. I've had to resolder a few, in my time.

The 1mm enamelled copper wire going from the centre pin of the SO-239 socket, on to the matching transformer, always has a dry or cold solder joint on it. This was probably the cause of my recent RFI problems on 12m. I have changed the base for another one, where I had already resoldered the coil.

The VSWR has improved substantially. Some Silver Rod Repairs... 1f44d

Some Silver Rod Repairs... 27837712

Note to self.. Always check which position the antenna switch is on, dummy load or antenna! Some Silver Rod Repairs... 1f62eSome Silver Rod Repairs... 26a0
I guess my cheap silver rod antenna doesn't like 1.5kW (+/-). Some Silver Rod Repairs... 1f631
Edit : Thankfully, the amplifier still seems to be working okay! Some Silver Rod Repairs... 1f62e

Some Silver Rod Repairs... 28019411

I've removed the burnt out transformer coil, from the 'silver rod' CB antenna.
You can see the charring on the outside of the former and bubbling on the inside. I've cleaned it up and most of the charring has been removed.
I'm going to try to rewind the coil with some fresh 1mm enamelled copper wire. With the carbon charring removed, I'm hoping that it will be less likely to arc over again - that and being more careful about power levels and which position the antenna switch is on! Some Silver Rod Repairs... 26a0Some Silver Rod Repairs... 1f631
Some Silver Rod Repairs... 28022411

Last edited by MM0IMC on Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Some Silver Rod Repairs...   Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2023 6:23 am

I doubt you'd be the first to whack too many Watts into one, or the last either! Wink

Thanks for posting Ian, a good graphical show & tell that everyone can appreciate. Some Silver Rod Repairs... 1f44d

(Did you eventually rewind it?)

rabbi and MM0IMC like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
MM0IMC
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 108-CT-226 / MM0IMC
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ayrshire
Equipment Used : Amstrad 901 Sidebander

PostSubject: Re: Some Silver Rod Repairs...   Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2023 7:20 am

I did. It required six and a quarter turns of the 1mm enamelled copper wire, on to the former.

rabbi and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Silver Rod Repairs...   Some Silver Rod Repairs... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some Silver Rod Repairs...
Page 1 of 1