Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John H

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:01 pm by Tarot

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Information requested)
UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:54 pm by GaryWilson

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION
UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:06 pm by BlueZinc

» New call sign request (Issued)
UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

» EU conditions have started
UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:18 pm by babis3g

» New callsing request
UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:05 pm by Miliko

» SSTV v Contest Stations
UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:59 am by MM0IMC

Keywords
chart list meter Mobile president ALINCO software antenna Mckinley Baofeng anytone lincoln 2022 frequency Sirio ss9900 2023 supply callsign 6900 call power 9900 display yaesu sign
QRZ Database

UV-5wRhere?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

UV-5wRhere? Empty
PostSubject: UV-5wRhere?   UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2023 6:34 am

Recently spent a couple of days on a natural dairy farm in Rutland. No industrial farming techniques and almost no mobile or data coverage... both awesome and relaxing. I did take my little UV-5R with me though, because, well... just couldn't help myself.

I took the below pic mainly as a joke for a local club member who had his mast pulled down by cows during a vhf contest last month.

UV-5wRhere? Cow10

If you carry your little HT everywhere and have pulled it out in strange places Wink then do share Smile

Razz229, Victor and DerekF like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

UV-5wRhere? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UV-5wRhere?   UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2023 6:36 am

Hi Neal,

Love the activity, the picture and the humour behind it. Great stuff. UV-5wRhere? 1f44d 

I'm afraid my own 'mobile' or 'pedestrian' activities are rather limited but I have recently been playing in the garden (as far as I often get from the house!) with the Baofeng and a new homebrew 2m/70cm beam antenna. Stuck on a pole and placed where the parasol usually goes on the patio table it seems to be working well with the 'arm-strong' method of rotating it all by hand.

Be nice to hook up the old FT290r when we get some decent summer evenings to try out a bit of SSB too.
(Although 2m SSB is a bit lacklustre except for 'competition' nights.)

Not so much a 'strange place' and probably a bit more G.O.T.A. (Gardens On The Air?) than anything else but about as much as I can manage.
(The neighbours think it's all strange though!)

Great posting, would be good to hear about anyone else's Baofeng experiences.

(That favoured corner of a particular room which is the only place you can open the local repeater with the 'rubber-duck'? Very Happy )

All the best,
Victor

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

UV-5wRhere? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UV-5wRhere?   UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2023 9:16 am

Got Lithuania 1150 miles the other afternoon on 2m ssb well ft8.
Had just put up an 8 element job and was very surprised how well it worked.
LY2SA 144.176 at 18.12pm.
Give it a go Victor.
Sorry for the hijack.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

UV-5wRhere? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UV-5wRhere?   UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2023 5:16 pm

Eight element Yagi there Alan? Bet your house looks like a typical 'Ham' establishment nowadays. Wink

I've only built a four element (smaller and more manageable with hand operation!) but it does 2m and 70cm. I may well have to see if my 'volunteer' (she's gonna kill me!!) can put it in the loft for me and maybe point it to Europe. Smile

Off topic, but sure Neal won't mind the 'hijack'.

Baofeng UV5r.....Back of the house on the rubber duck for North facing repeaters and front of the house for South facing. Cor it weren't half fun with my early VHF/UHF days!
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

UV-5wRhere? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UV-5wRhere?   UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2023 6:35 am

Pulled it out in various places in the past week. So just for fun, a mini-montage, clockwise from bottom left..

- 163/26CT3971/MM or something on PMR.
- 2E0LMI listening to ISS on work lunch break at Siddington village disused lock flight.
- 2W0LMI/P Caves On The Air... no, strangely enough, I didn't make a contact.
- Listening to GB3WH. Best place in house for reception is in bathroom that's in centre of house with no windows. Yeah, weird, I've never worked out why.

UV-5wRhere? Uv5rpl10

Anyone else want to share photos of them whipping theirs out?? Wink

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

UV-5wRhere? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UV-5wRhere?   UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2024 7:42 pm

Whilst under Monkton Farleigh this lunch time for some much needed exercise, pulled it out and tried the FM calling frequencies on 2m & 70cm.

UV-5wRhere? Uv-5r_10

utuber Raisa may have made contacts easily on HF with a 100W in to a dipole buried a couple of inches under the ground, but with me having 20' of bath stone above and between me and the open air, and a couple of miles of it spreading out in all horizontal directions, no prizes for anyone guessing how many contacts I made using a 4W V/UHF HT. Stupid experiment I know, but if I didn't try it I would never know for sure  Laughing

Anyone else finding they are addicted to their little Baofeng's just like younger generations are addicted to their phones? Love to see your pics of using in strange places if you do... or is it just me that can't put the little handie down? Embarassed

Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

UV-5wRhere? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UV-5wRhere?   UV-5wRhere? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UV-5wRhere?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Media gallery :: Out & about-
Jump to: