Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» new call sign
Prices today Icon_minitimeToday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

» CT call sign request
Prices today Icon_minitimeToday at 1:50 pm by Petesevern

» EU conditions have started
Prices today Icon_minitimeToday at 10:41 am by babis3g

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Prices today Icon_minitimeToday at 9:50 am by John H

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Prices today Icon_minitimeToday at 8:51 am by babis3g

» HF Contacts 15m
Prices today Icon_minitimeToday at 8:44 am by Ivy Mike

» South Coast PMR net report
Prices today Icon_minitimeToday at 8:12 am by Razz229

» Help needed
Prices today Icon_minitimeToday at 6:52 am by teapot

» gre 225 scanner
Prices today Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:00 pm by rabbi

Keywords
Mckinley 2022 antenna list yaesu Baofeng sign power ALINCO supply callsign frequency call 2023 anytone lincoln 9900 Mobile president 6900 ss9900 chart meter software display Sirio
QRZ Database

Prices today

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rekibrepus
rekibrepus

Call Sign : 29-CT-074
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Castleblayney, Monoghan.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-767 GX Venom silver rod and Sigma SE-HF-X80

Prices today Empty
PostSubject: Prices today   Prices today Icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2023 12:12 pm

I am not sure if its just me but I have noticed a big jump in HF prices in recent months, where they were £300 to £400 6 months ago they are now fetching £500 to £700 now and these are 15 to 20 year old rigs. I dont need one as I am well set up but just wondered if it was just me and the tired ole brain noticing this.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Prices today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prices today   Prices today Icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2023 3:06 pm

Hi Michael,

It's so good to hear you saying "I am well set up" because I remember the difficulties you were facing when you first started out mentioned on the forum. Really glad for you. Prices today 1f44d 

It seems that you're not the only one talking about such things as second hand radio prices and Peter Parker VK3YE did a few pieces recently concerning such. He made a video about it and is linked below but remember that although he asked Hams from around the world for the surveys his final prices are in Australian dollars :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpHElFzD9G4

If you notice in the video he also covers CB radios as well which have seen a marked drop in prices over the last few months as well as other pieces of equipment.

Second hand prices seem to take funny turns on many different items and it's almost impossible to figure out why. Maybe it's just a demand thing because older beauties like the Icom IC-706 go for as little money as old Yaesu FT757s and I know which one I'd rather have. (I've loved my FT757 but the IC706 is a phenomenal little rig!) 

Certain radios seem to jump in appeal and collectivity so also increase in prices. One such example being the old Yaesu FT101s which used to go for very little money but then fluctuate wildly to often incredibly expensive prices.

I also notice that often people are putting radios up for sale on the likes of eBay but asking for the typical prices found from a dealer. The difference between the dirty, worn, no returns stuff and a cleaner example with a sales return policy by dealers should tempt people into buying the latter. People do love to take a chance though and if someone appears to pay the 'going price' for something everyone else jumps suit. (Just take a look at the number of 'watchers' on some of the eBay stuff and then the flurry of similar items listed afterwards if it appears to sell.)

Also remember that we had a huge jump in the amount of Amateurs becoming licenced with the online exams available during the Covid lockdown period. There was an initial jump in the sort of prices being asked for radios at that time more than likely due to demand but then prices plummeted quite soon afterwards back to similar pre lockdown prices. Some of these Amateurs are now looking about again if they didn't succeed the first time around, bidding on these now reduced priced items and if there's enough of them escalating the prices once more. 

I think the apparent 'cost of living crisis' sees Hams trawling through their shelves as well then listing old radios too, often for high prices. You only have to hear the joking quips about electricity costs within the Ham radio community but some sites (I've noticed a few of the KiwiSDR's doing this) go full out about it. Maybe their old junk, ahem sorry, never serviced for forty year items might help them alleviate those bills.

As they say it's a "funny old game" when it comes to second hand prices Michael and sometimes what was once praised highly is now difficult to shift and vice-versa.

Great posting there and enjoyable to respond to but remember, this is just my view and input on things.
(Some get really flustered if your opinion differs to theirs....especially if they're selling! Wink )

All the best to you there,
Victor

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
rekibrepus
rekibrepus

Call Sign : 29-CT-074
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Castleblayney, Monoghan.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-767 GX Venom silver rod and Sigma SE-HF-X80

Prices today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prices today   Prices today Icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2023 5:17 pm

Fully agree with your points here Victor and yes well set up now mainly due to a great deal on a Yaesu quickly followed by two wins on the trot of Icoms. We moved house a couple of months ago and sadly got power lines one side and a row of house along the back all with flippin solar panels on roofs so working on getting rid of huge noise but will get there eventually. Obviously lots of learning to still do but have to say that the advice I got from you in the early stages has stood me in good stead. I have to say that CB radio is really picking up here again in popularity, average price for a set AM,FM,SSB is around £100 so still good deals to be had if you avoid the scammers and chancers. I try to do any buying face to face,
Take good care of yourself.
Michael.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Prices today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prices today   Prices today Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prices today
Page 1 of 1