Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeToday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeToday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
6900 9900 Mckinley antenna callsign lincoln sign meter list chart president call anytone Sirio power 2023 display supply software frequency 2022 Mobile ALINCO ss9900 Baofeng yaesu
QRZ Database

Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dogfish
Dogfish

Call Sign : CT2379
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Surrey Hills
Equipment Used : Grant 2 + Tankwhip mobile with Sirio Gainmaster 5/8ths homebased

Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Empty
PostSubject: Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator   Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2019 10:48 pm

So, after getting my Zetagi B300P repaired I am now trying to work out exactly what power it puts out from the 6 position switch.

I was running the amp directly from my Grant 2 which puts out just over 20w on SSB, however I was told this would overdrive the unit and blow it up again, something I don't want to do.
I placed a Zetagi RP2 attenuator in between rig and amp. It has a 2 position rocker switch which attenuates at 1/4 or 1/2. I assume that means the unit attenuates the rig output power to the amp by either 25% or 50%. Currently I use the 50% position and assume that this only allows 50% of 20W which in an input to the amp of 10W.
Please correct me if so far I have got this wrong!

Now onto the 6 position switch on the B300p.
I assume, and assumptions are always dangerous which is why I am taking some advice from you good guys on here with more experience.
My assumption is that the amp output power is divided, either equally or not, by 6 and each switch position puts out 1/6th more power for each position.
Doing my basic maths the following might apply:-
Pos1 = 50w (300w divided by 6 = 50w each position)
Pos 2 = 100w
Pos 3 = 150w
Pos 4 = 200w
Pos 5 = 250w   (I was advised not to run pos 5+6 on FM/SSB)
Pos 6 = 300w.
Does this sound about right?
I am sure there must be some diabolically hard and complex calculation that will give the answer, alas I have not found it yet.

Today I ran the amp on position 5 using the attenuator set at 1/2 (50% power reduction), for a quick qso on UKFM lasting no more than 5 minutes. I could smell the same electrical burning smell I had when I burned the pre amp out.
As the amp has not been used very much at all, should it smell like burning until it's been used for a while???. A bit like a new car smells for a while untill the kids get in it and fart and puke in it then the nice new smell goes away.

It is home based on a 30A mains power supply and the antenna is a Sirio Gainmaster 5/8 with a SWR of 1.1:1.
I intend to transfer it to my mobile station wired through a fag lighter socket and currently use a Tank Whip. I will also be using a T2LT.
Should the amp be "hardwired" to the car battery rather than fag socket?

I appreciate that there is an awful lot of waffle above. I am just trying to give a clear picture of set up so answers will be easy!

Thanks in advance.
Simon.
CT2379.
22:48:01
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator   Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2019 7:10 am

Hello Simon,

I would have thought the best way to check any power levels for this or any other piece of kit is to use a decent power/watt meter and a 50 Ohm dummy load capable of handling the amount of power your testing. I think it's unlikely that the six power levels are in equal 50W increments.

The burning smell is indicative of something getting too hot and not a good sign. Some people put fans on these things to help with cooling, they are well known for overheating.

If you put this amp in your car you will need to wire it directly to your battery, the fag lighter socket will not provide enough current for it and you will probably smell burning again this time the wiring to the socket!!

73's Gary.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator   Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2019 7:37 am

I can't remember the size of the "steps" on the amp - the 6-position switch basically switches out resistance to attenuate the input signal - but I wouldn't assume them to be equal steps. In any case, all amps eventually go into "compression" - where the gain (and linearity on SSB) of an amp starts to decrease above a certain power input. 10W PEP on SSB will give you around 250W out and it should be fairly clean. Don't put in any more than about 5W on FM/AM on position 6 for about 120W out, and don't try to drive the amp above that sort of level. You can screw a bit more out of the amp but especially on SSB things start to get messy.

A common feature of these amps used to be that the low-power-rating resistors on the attenuator burn out - before any abuse (ie putting too much wattage in) actually took out the transistors.

As Gary says, wire directly to the battery and use the shortest and thickest cable you can - you can get 10AWG (American Wire Gauge -the lower the number, the thicker the cable) cable quite easily. Thicker cable = less voltage drop = a better performing and longer-lived amp.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator   Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2019 9:21 am

Hi Simon,

Gary's right if you want to go full depth analysis of your gear and the way any decent Ham or RF tech would go.

You can go shelling out for dummy loads and RF wattmeters, use them once, never have a use for them again and ultimately be disappointed with what you find......

The first thing you'll find is that your linears are not pushing anywhere near 300 watts....

I won't get into the whoop-ass arguments about P.E.P (peak envelope power) or other such nonsense.

You are getting much more power out than you put in so be happy with that Smile

The front switch labelled 1 to 6 is a simple resistor attenuator control to limit how much power you put into the linear, 1 being the most attenuation, 6 being straight through. It's "sort of" a power control.
(Those resistors can get really hot too, I've seen them blackened to hell!)
It's pretty much the same job as your RP2 is doing. You ain't ever going to figure it out, just accept 1 is the lowest and 6 is the highest.

Heat - you're gonna get heat.
Those front end resistors are getting hot and so are the transistors and that heat has to go somewhere. You just gotta hope the heatsink has a good enough airflow to take that heat away. As Gary has again mentioned, people put fans on them to help draw that heat away.
(Again , I won't get into the poor efficiencies of those transistors, the push-pull circuitry or losses through the class B biasing!)
Put it this way, my rig has a similar circuit of those linears built right into the radio....most of the radio casing is a big-ass heatsink, with ducting and a fan....designed for Hams. Hams are notorious for rag chew long overs Wink

You're also right, they're gonna smell a bit funny to start with just a like a new oven does.

I'd run the RP2 at the quarter setting and the linears nearer 6 for best results. You should be able to chew the rag all day long.
(Don't do the trucker trick of running them at 24 volt - you'll get more power, just briefly before they blow up!)

As for wiring to the car, Gary again is right, (he is a helpful bloke)
DON'T use the ciggie lighter socket! You have been warned.
My rig at full power runs some 19 amps, your homebase is running on a 30 amp pack, figure for direct to battery wiring along those lines. Most guys run this sort of wiring for their big-ass music systems so there's plenty of info out there.

Just a word of warning - I've known guys park on top of a hill, run their linears on a night time DX or net, pack up for the night and the car won't start........flat battery!! Take a spare or jump pack with you just in case Wink

Sheesh, waffled as long as you...hee, hee Very Happy

Anyway, hope that's of some help.

All the best,
Victor

It means nothing works and nobody knows why ...

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator   Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2019 9:28 am

Ah, someone else popped in with helpful advice too Smile

This forum's great, haven't seen a wildly wrong piece of advice yet!

You're lucky Simon.....go to somewhere like eHam and you'll be more lost than anything. That's if they haven't berated you for asking a "CB" question or wrapped you in the middle of a flaming war.

Go Charlie Tangos!
Proud to be a member Smile

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator   Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks fellas all good advice, Victor that's what I've always liked about this forum, there's absolutely no snobbery or acrimony between C.B.ers and Amateurs we all jog along together just fine. I think many of us here do both anyway after all radio is radio. Very Happy

73's Gary.

Rjbingham likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator   Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Spot on Gary. Loving this forum for just such things, as you say radio is after all radio.

I was many moons ago one of those whizz-kid electronics enthusiasts with a passion for radio and took it upon myself to join a local Ham club......all went to pot when I took up CB, pretty much shunned by the club for my "illegal" activities Sad
Landed up joining a CB club, Foxtrot Papas - their motto was "Friendly People" and never looked back.

If only it had all been a bit more harmonious back then, might have taken my ticket years ago.
Just glad the times have mostly changed.

All the best to you mate Smile

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dogfish
Dogfish

Call Sign : CT2379
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Surrey Hills
Equipment Used : Grant 2 + Tankwhip mobile with Sirio Gainmaster 5/8ths homebased

PostSubject: Re: Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator   Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2019 11:23 pm

Gary and Victor.
You have both enlightened me, thank you very much for taking the time th help me out. I appreciate your honest and forthright advice.
This forum is indeed a good place to be. I have been elsewhere to try to find answers and failed miserably, been baffled with science and confusing/contradictory links....this place is the first port of call from now on.

I will take all those pointers above on board and can now start to make some headway in setting up my portable set up with a clearer picture of what I need to do and why I am doing it.
That's enough waffling for now, I have already done enough!

Very much hope to have a QSO on the radio one day soon.
Kind regards.

Simon.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator   Zetagi - Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power output for Zetagi B300P with attenuator
Page 1 of 1