Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:27 pm by GaryWilson

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by John123

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 11:11 pm by John H

» New call sign request (Issued)
CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

» EU conditions have started
CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 3:18 pm by babis3g

Keywords
list supply Mckinley anytone antenna power yaesu meter ss9900 sign Mobile Sirio call president 2023 frequency chart display 2022 software Baofeng 9900 ALINCO callsign lincoln 6900
QRZ Database

CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38)

Go down 
+2
Alan Pilot
Victor
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Empty
PostSubject: CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38)   CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2023 9:01 am

Hi all,

Hope you're all keeping well and enjoying your radio. CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) 1f44d 

I've had a hankering for utilising Morse for quite some time now and despite doing my best at learning code I've had a few stumbles often giving up for a while. I did make a touch-sensitive key a while back to hopefully instill some enthusiasm into it all (https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t5339-i-fancied-a-touch-of-morse) but unfortunately I found that using the Iambic keyer on my rigs I landed up sending faster than I could receive! Rolling Eyes 

The common advice I heard from others regards this was to use a straight key as apparently it would improve my sending rhythm. Problem was that most 'straight-keys' seem to be prized and collectible items often fetching prices a bit out of my reach. Attempts were made at knocking up a basic straight key myself (embarrassing bodges so not shown here Wink ) but I found that my electronic Iambic experiences so far had completely ruined any chance of sending decent Morse. 'Dits' or dots are made on one paddle and 'dahs' or dashes on the other paddle....you have to time it right but it makes no difference if you 'tap' the dah or dash paddle the length of 'contact' being made for you by the keyer. How are you supposed to learn to hold your dah's with such contraptions?!?

I knew I needed a 'proper' key and scoured the usual places for weeks then months but a small budget often left me bereft.

Until recently.....

I came across a key on ebay (listed in the wrong place so might stand a chance!) and placed a starting bid of £10 on it. Several days later the auction ended and blow me I was the only one with a bid. It was mine!!!

It was posted quickly, turned out to be really well packaged and I was delighted to unwrap it to check it out :-

CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Morse_10

Not too bad considering the price. The wood base was dryer than a Pharaohs sandal, spots of corrosion everywhere, the shortening bar flapped all over the place and the grease in the ball bearings looked like something you'd dig out of your ears after a nasty infection. The keying bar wobbled all over the place too without much chance of actually being able to send code on it. It must have spent it's time languishing as a 'dust-collector' ornament rather than used for its intended purpose.

Ball bearings you might ask? Yes, although this looks a lot like a J-38 type key of WWII fame it's actually a Japanese copy that was often found sold in the likes of Radio Shack during the late 1960's, early 1970's. I'm not a key-collector so this fact didn't bother me but as I took the key apart you can clearly see its Japanese heritage :-

CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Morse_11

I continued on with stripping apart the key but I already knew that this wasn't going to be a total restoration job rather more of a sympathetic clean up to get it all working. That way it would still keep its historical appearance.....it may not be that collectible but it's still some 50+ years old so like a lot of us quite the antique. Wink

Out came the typical accoutrements with some old time favourites such as 'Brasso', 'Castrol' grease, etc. as well as the finest blend of walnut & danish oils in a bees wax suspension of my own making. (Any old git worth their salt could knock up such stuff and would be just the job for that dried up bit of wood used for the base.) Getting out the 'best-est' reading glasses and cracking the knuckles on my old bear paws to relieve the arthritis I tentatively pulled it all apart. There was no chance of the ball bearings falling out with how caked the grease had become!

CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Morse_12

Careful use of some meths, white spirit, brass soft bristle brush, (plus several cups of tea to keep me going), it all cleaned up rather nicely. The bearings were a nightmare and I feared the worst if I should lose any....I can barely see let alone bend down if I should drop them on the floor! The use of a small pot and some cotton buds to stir it all around helped out there. Then it was just a case of using the old 'engineers fingers' dipping my old fat fingers into the Castrol grease and vigorously rubbing all the metal parts to give them a nice protective coat after a wipe off.

Reassembly was actually far easier than imagined and it didn't take long to adjust it all out so that the key worked to perfection.

The wood base got a good covering of my homemade oil/wax suspension, left to soak in then reapplied and wiped off before a quick hand brush buff to clean it up. Couldn't leave it there so also dug around until I found my equally ancient tin of black bison wax and gave it a good brush coating as well as a hard buff by hand. After that I screwed the key back to the base (after searching around for my decent flat blade screwdriver) and was quite impressed with how it all turned out :-

CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Morse_13

None too shabby eh? CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) 1f44d 

With the use of all the old time products it has that awesome mixture of smells that only comes about with such techniques and akin to an old valve radio in a wooden case. Smells equally antique as it looks and glad I didn't go for a full restoration.

Works beautifully too! Plus shows up how bad my Morse keying skills actually are. Very Happy

I will be wrapped up for a while so won't get to use it in earnest but hopefully have a play during my recuperation. Looking forward to it.

Anyway, enough of my nonsense, just glad to be able to post up something after being a bit amiss recently.

All the best,
Victor

Les-1, Alan Pilot, Nightprowler, SangueG, Ace, Al21, DerekF and peewee norfolk like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38)   CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2023 11:07 am

Nice one Victor.
Got me thinking but do they do Morse for dyslexics lol.
I would need one with spell checking built in.

Victor and Ace like this post

Back to top Go down
Al21
Contributor
Contributor
Al21

Call Sign : 26CT4617, 26TD133 & M7FPX
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Malton, North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : PMR 446 handset, President McKinley

PostSubject: Re: CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38)   CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2023 2:55 pm

Well done on the find, purchase and sympathetic restoration!

Back to top Go down
Ace

Call Sign : 26-CT-4203 - G0ACE
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Reading, Berkshire
Equipment Used : Mustang CB81, Tristar747, Belcom LS102

PostSubject: Re: CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38)   CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2023 3:40 pm

Well done Victor! Your restoration is in keeping with the key's age and it looks like a nice example of an item that has had a life. In my job I see far too many things that have been over restored.

Plus, there's the satisfaction of using a key which has benefited from your own handiwork. I hope you have many great QSOs with it.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
ROMEROTECH

Call Sign : 26-CT-4955
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Northampton
Equipment Used : K-Po 5000 Powerline, Yaesu FT-450D

PostSubject: Re: CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38)   CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2023 4:56 pm

How cool is that!. Certainly looks the part and will look great as a historic collectable adorning any radioshack. Labour of love. 👍

Back to top Go down
peewee norfolk
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
peewee norfolk

Call Sign : 26-CT-4879 / M7PCA
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : North Walsham, JO02QU
Equipment Used : FT1000MP !!!!!!binatone 5*,alinco dx10 135,sirio4000,silver rod,G5RV,beofeng 17 pro max, X30 duel 2m/70cm,full size G5RV, TS120v,soon new toy

PostSubject: Re: CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38)   CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2023 8:38 pm

good job Victor, as normal, glad your getting up to messing around again !!!!!!
and yes Alan a dyslexic keyer or paddle id buy one ......

.... . .-.. .--. -.-.--

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38)   CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CW Morse Key (Restoration of a JJ-38)
Page 1 of 1