Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:15 pm by karelgol

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:26 pm by SangueG

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:23 pm by madmax

» new call sign
SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

» CT call sign request
SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:50 pm by Petesevern

» EU conditions have started
SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by babis3g

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:51 am by babis3g

» HF Contacts 15m
SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:44 am by Ivy Mike

» South Coast PMR net report
SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:12 am by Razz229

Keywords
supply sign ss9900 9900 frequency ALINCO president Sirio 6900 Baofeng Mckinley meter display Mobile yaesu software antenna anytone power chart 2023 2022 list call callsign lincoln
QRZ Database

SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Samurai27

Call Sign : 327-CT-002 ham S53ATT
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Plavje, Koper, Slovenia
Equipment Used : CRT SS 6900N, T2LT 11 meters (also on 10m), mike CRT - M6, loads of homemade antennas...

SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Empty
PostSubject: SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on   SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2023 9:37 am

Hi all,

haven't posted for a bit now... :-)

Recently I wanted to repair my Sharp 10P 18G TV radio cassette player, but only the cassette player because the other two functions were working completely fine. I had to replace the belt.

I have to say it was very very easy to get it disassembled, went like butter! Very well made. Unfortenetely I had to take apart all te boards before I could take out the radio and cassette player. I gave every board a good clean with air and a brush.

After I took the board out, I replaced the belts with an almost perfect fit, and sprayed some contact cleaner into the pots and switches.

I got it all assembled, and tried all the functions, radio worked as before, cassette player now works quite well (I will sort it out later), but the TV screen doesn't come on.

I don't know what happened, I didn't do anything to the PCB, didn't change any components.

I just cleaned it.

I can hear the oscillator of the tube come on, but there seems to be no anode voltage because my hair does not go up if I get my hand close to the screen. There seems to be no heating too, I can't see anything light up in the dark in the tube.

I have no idea, the service manual in't available for free, you have to pay, but I don't have intention to buy it.

Checked the fuses, all of them seem to be OK.

The audio of the TV works, there is something going on in the tube section. There doesn't semm to be high voltage comeing from the transformer for heating and the anode.

Any help appreciated

73s,
Patrik

Samurai27 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on   SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2023 10:39 am

Hi Patrik,

Nothing like posting a TV question up on a radio forum is there. Wink
(I suppose it's got a radio receiver in it.)

Check your B+ or 12 Volt line....

The fuse next to the L.O.P.T. (Line Output Transformer) should carry 12 Volts for the HT/Flyback.

The heater element on the C.R.T. should also be at 12 Volt.

It's not unusual for old wiring to fail or PCB solder joints to crack (especially around the line output transformer) when pulling apart these old units.

As far as I remember several models carried the same TV tube and connectivity (maybe even similarities in the main circuitry) so worth looking at another model in the range to help out :-

https://elektrotanya.com/sharp_10p-28g_sm.pdf/download.html

That's about the best I can suggest because if that 12 volt is missing there'll be no heater filament power and/or H.T. voltage generated.
(Worth checking the CRT filament continuity as well whilst you're about it.)

Best of luck with it. SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on 1f44d 

Victor

glenn dog and Samurai27 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Samurai27

Equipment Used : CRT SS 6900N, T2LT 11 meters (also on 10m), mike CRT - M6, loads of homemade antennas...

PostSubject: Re: SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on   SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2023 10:50 am

Hi Victor,

yes, it has a radio receiver ;-)

The general transformer (the one in the power supply which supplies every circuit) works perfect, as the radio and cassette player work good.

The 10p-28g i have the SM of, I'm not sure if the test points for the TV circuit are the same though.

I'll try looking at it again.

The 12V line works.

I'll try looking at the PCB, as far as I'm concerned, there are no VISIBLE cracks but there might be some, that I don't see.

Is the L.O.P.T the tansformer, which supplies the fillament and anode voltage?

As I said, the TV worked fine before I put it apart, and didn't do any modifications... It justb went out, and back in.

73s and thanks,

Patrik

Samurai27 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on   SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2023 3:42 pm

Hi again Patrik,

Don't worry about the test points on the SM, they're probably not the same but the schematic should give you a good idea of the electronic functionality. As I mentioned the CRT is more than likely the same so you should be able to check the filament voltage at the end of the tube by comparing.

On many domestic mass produced electronics goods of the time the soldering would have been a 'wave soldering' process which wasn't exactly perfect. 

Any larger components like electrolytic capacitors would have had a glue to keep them on the board during this process and often misidentified decades later as capacitors 'leaking'. ( Rolling Eyes ) Similar woes happened with line output transformers where the solder was so thin and along with cheap paper substrate PCB's produced mechanically poor soldering. A flex or two of the PCB could see those solder joints fail (usually in a circular ring) so the transformer won't get power to it and the rest of that circuitry therefore wouldn't work.

As you've mentioned, all you did was pull it apart to replace the cassette belt so it'd be worth a good visual check around the rest of the unit to make sure something isn't amiss. 

It's all too easy to miss a disconnected wire, crack in a solder joint from flexing etc. and might be worth soldering up the joints on that line output transformer just in case.

Should be a fairly easy job to trace back the B+ or 12 Volt line back to the regulation transistor and make sure that circuitry is working fine also.

Sorry I can't offer more insight as repairing things from afar is not mine or many engineers/technicians forte but hopefully it turns out to be a simple fault. (The info already given is from past experience and know-how designing, manufacturing and repairing such items over the years.)

I hope you get sorted. SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on 1f44d 

(Do love a bit of 'retro' electronics as I'm pretty 'retro' aged myself! Very Happy )

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Samurai27

PostSubject: Re: SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on   SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeSun Dec 03, 2023 10:02 am

Hi Victor,

thanks for all the help!

Turns out, when I assembled it back, I forgot to put a clip or something for ground onto the CRT, and the board that is on the CRT (the small one) wasn't connected to ground... :-) Foolish mistake.

I cut a wire and soldered it on the TV PCB and connected it to a faston clip on the CRT board.

All with some help of course :-).

73s and thank yo very much,
Patrik

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on   SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitimeSun Dec 03, 2023 10:21 am

That's great news there Patrik and very well done. SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on 1f44d 

(I must admit I've made the same error with the CRT board ground connection in the past. Wink )

All I could do was offer some pointers but you yourself have managed to sort it out so give yourself a deserved pat on the back.

Well done again and all the best to you,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on   SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SHARP 10P 18G - TV screen not turning on
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Scanner Discussion-
Jump to: