Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by VanRougeT4

» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeToday at 11:19 am by John123

» 6900v7 Mic Problem...
It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeToday at 10:33 am by Relay-1

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeToday at 10:29 am by Zolee

» New shack in operation.
It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by SangueG

» Static/noise
It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» 11m conditions
It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

Keywords
9900 2022 yaesu list 6900 2024 sign president Sirio display meter antenna callsign anytone frequency software Mobile ss9900 2023 call Baofeng Mckinley lincoln power chart ALINCO
QRZ Database

It may be a daft question BUT.............

Go down 
+3
Gary1262
NUBSTER
BillMasen
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BillMasen

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Co Durham
Equipment Used : President Grant 2

It may be a daft question BUT............. Empty
PostSubject: It may be a daft question BUT.............   It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 8:55 am

I know why a vehicle antenna normally needs a ground plane like my van roof and the optimal length is 102 inches.

Sooooooo Why does a home base antenna have no need for a ground plane and needs to be nearly 18 ft long??

Which has me wondering if my 18footer from our old house can be cut down to 102 inches and fastened to the wall outside me den??

I really am a technophobe even though I've been on air since the 70s Smile
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
BillMasen

PostSubject: Re: It may be a daft question BUT.............   It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 9:11 am

Cheers mate, I'm trying to get my Grant 2 up and running using what bits I have laying around here that I brought from our old house. EG 18ft antenna from old house but not allowed to put it up here, so thinking could I chop it down to 102 inches and bolt it to the wall Smile
Back to top Go down
Gary1262

Call Sign : 163-CT-1412
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Wales
Equipment Used : SS3900EU

PostSubject: Re: It may be a daft question BUT.............   It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 10:03 am

Hi Bill,
You could try, but wouldn't recommend it.
I think there might be a coil plus other circuitry at the bottom of the 18 footer, which gets around the
need of a ground plane.
If you were to lob off a fair chunk of it AND even thought about using a ground plane, my guess is
it wouldn't SWR up.
What some people do, is make a vertical dipole, with the inner of your coax attached to the 102 inches going up vertical and another EXTRA 102 inches of wire going vertical down.
You might have to trim an end a little bit to get the coverted 1:1 SWR (plus tuner sometimes).
Problem with a wire vertical dipole, is that they are a pain to put up and support.
On the internet, you see some people making a horizontal dipole, with a connector block or 'proper' dipole centre piece to help keep the water out and can act as a centre piece support.
Horizontal antenna could also be better with skip! Very Happy
Fred in the Shed gave a good you tube video about a T2TL vertical antenna, which you can either make yourself or buy. This uses 102 inches vertical, but you'll have to watch the video for the rest of the construction.
Fred used an extendable fibre glass fishing pole as a support, said it was for temporary use, but I think might be ok permanent.
If you've got a tree, dangling from that could be ok.
Really need to get what ever you do, away from walls with this type of antenna, ground ok but higher the better.
Hope this helps, all the best,

Gary
Back to top Go down
BillMasen

PostSubject: Re: It may be a daft question BUT.............   It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 10:13 am

Thanks gary.
Back to top Go down
Richard.C

Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Lincoln
Equipment Used : Ranger 2950DX, Albrecht 2990, Midland PortaPack, Cybernet Beta 1000, 2000, 3000, Amstrad 900, 901, Rotel RVC240, SMC Oscar 1, Yaesu FT1000MP MK5 Field, FT847, FT857, FT817

PostSubject: Re: It may be a daft question BUT.............   It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 7:58 pm

Your mobile is a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna and the 18 footer is likely an end fed half wave. Two completely different antenna designs.
Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: It may be a daft question BUT.............   It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 7:38 am

BillMasen wrote:
I know why a vehicle antenna normally needs a ground plane like my van roof and the optimal length is 102 inches.

Sooooooo Why does a home base antenna have no need for a ground plane and needs to be nearly 18 ft long??

Virtually all home base aerials benefit from some ground plane, even if they don't seem to need it to make an SWR match. Aerials which don't have ground planes either rely on being fixed to a metal pole (there's your ground) or tend to end up with the whole run of coax (specifically the outer sheath of it) becoming the ground, which in some situations can be a source of interference either outgoing or inbound.

You could use a length of tubing from your old aerial to make up a1/4 wave aerial but don't bother with whatever coil was at the bottom of it - and it will need a couple of ground radials or some metalwork for a ground to match properly.
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: It may be a daft question BUT.............   It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 11:31 am

The need for a groundplane comes from the design. All quarter wave antennas need one, as do 5/8 wave. Half wave don’t, as long as the antenna design includes both “halves” of the antenna. This can be a traditional dipole, end fed dipole, or a half wave vertical with a matching section and using the coax, radials or other methods to “create” a ground.

This is an overly simplistic explanation, BTW. Very Happy

As for 102”, this isn’t necessarily optimum, it’s simply 1/4 wave on 11m and usually needs fine tuning depending on install and frequency.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: It may be a daft question BUT.............   It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2020 4:12 am

43CT016 wrote:
The need for a groundplane comes from the design.  All quarter wave antennas need one, as do 5/8 wave.  Half wave don’t, as long as the antenna design includes both “halves” of the antenna.

Sorry but this is wrong. First of all, ALL end fed antennas need a RF ground/grounplane, even a half wave. It's because of physics, in particular Kirchoffs Law. Secondly the only antenna that includes "both halves" is a center fed antenna.

A bit of reading if you're bored.

https://www.w8ji.com/end-fed_vertical_j-pole_and_horizontal_zepp.htm
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: It may be a daft question BUT.............   It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2020 9:47 am

Northern Crusader wrote:

Sorry but this is wrong. First of all, ALL end fed antennas need a RF ground/grounplane, even a half wave. It's because of physics, in particular Kirchoffs Law. Secondly the only antenna that includes "both halves" is a center fed antenna.

Other than my typo for end-fed dipole rather than centre-fed (vertical) dipole what bit don't you agree with, as that article says effectively the same thing...unless the antenna is balanced (i.e. has both halves) you need somewhere for the currents to go, which as I said in my post can be a counterpoise, radials, etc.?

Neither my EFHW or my old Stationmaster CB antenna (now on 10m) have a groundplane as such, but the EFHW is earthed at the transformer, and although I've never tested what difference it makes, has a choke 0.05 wavelengths away from the transformer, presumably to allow a part of the coax to run as a counterpoise, for example.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It may be a daft question BUT.............   It may be a daft question BUT............. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It may be a daft question BUT.............
Page 1 of 1