Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Advice.....?
WIRE straits Icon_minitimeToday at 5:12 am by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
WIRE straits Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 pm by John123

» 10m dxcc ......
WIRE straits Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 am by peewee norfolk

» Multimode mobile antenna
WIRE straits Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
WIRE straits Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
WIRE straits Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
WIRE straits Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
WIRE straits Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
WIRE straits Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
ss9900 Mckinley list Mobile anytone 9900 2023 ALINCO antenna frequency 6900 2022 president chart yaesu lincoln callsign supply meter Baofeng software power sign display call Sirio
QRZ Database

WIRE straits

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jape

Call Sign : 26-CT-1894
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Eastbourne
Equipment Used : AT66 Gainmaster

WIRE straits Empty
PostSubject: WIRE straits   WIRE straits Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2020 9:35 pm

I live at the bottom of big hill and have issues trnsnmitting and receiving from the west and nort.

So i decided to try try a half wave wire cut to 1i metetrs instead of my Gainmaster, The wire is an invertd V hanging from the close line with the V legs running east to West about 9 foot apart. The first thin I noticed on USB was that constant frying bacon inteference sound wa vitually gone. ON dx it worked pretty much the same as the gainnmaster. The stuff coming was pretty loud as well. So I will ge this a bit highrt for future regular use.

AS or UK FM. Pretty usleless where i live due to the elevations of the south downs, The wire would only pick up the same stations that I ca get on Local fm with the Gainaster. So It wasnt any improvement and I wasn't any worse off. Must be noted there is not much about on FM around Eastboure,

The SWR is 2.5 on the wire. So I need to trim each end - but will have to wait until it's final home is found - as the swr willl probably change s I move it around Anyway I read some were having big noise issues like I was with a gainmaster or Amtron. It's worth giving the wire a try in my opinion It's reallyasy to throw up and get running as well
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

WIRE straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIRE straits   WIRE straits Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2020 7:31 am

I have used the inverted v antennas on a few freqs over the years and as you have said its so easy to make but as i have no noise issues on my vertical antennas i didnt see much benefit tbh but it was no worse either.
Glad its working well for you and making simple wire antennas that work well is fun..
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

WIRE straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIRE straits   WIRE straits Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Jape wrote:

The SWR is 2.5 on the wire. So I need to trim each end - but will have to wait until it's final home is found - as the swr willl probably change s I move it around Anyway I read some were having big noise issues like I was with a gainmaster or Amtron. It's worth giving the wire a try in my opinion It's reallyasy to throw up and get running as well

Don't cut the wire, just fold the ends back on themselves.

The issues with noise are because much of it is vertically polarised. Throw in a bucket load of common mode RFI because the majority seem to think that a half wave or longer doesn't need a RF ground (all end feds do) and hardly anyone uses a RF choke and you're at where you're at with the noise. Use the Imax 2000 ground plane kit with that antenna and whilst you'll see little if any gain improvements you can see a big improvement in the noise floor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WIRE straits Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIRE straits   WIRE straits Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WIRE straits
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: