Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Help needed
FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeToday at 5:13 am by Numenius

FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

Keywords
9900 Mobile call Mckinley sign supply display yaesu power ALINCO 2022 meter Baofeng anytone software lincoln callsign president chart list 2023 ss9900 Sirio frequency 6900 antenna
QRZ Database

FT-450D MIC Recommendations please

Go down 
+3
Cozzmik
Red Fox
Templar
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3550 Ham:- M7DEW
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Huddersfield West Yorkshire. UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-450D. CRT SS 6900n. CRT Micron

FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Empty
PostSubject: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 6:24 pm

Hi all.
I've been getting some pretty poor reports that my audio is down / not good / no punch ect on the supplied standard Mic, both on FM and USB.
Can any of you guys tell me if the K-PO Power Mic would work well if I got a cross over lead? Or maybe I'll just buy another one Cool
It works fine on my SS 6900N with excellent reports.
Or please recommend me an alternative.
On the 450d I already have the mic menu setting set to high, but I still get better reports when I'm on the 6900N with the K-PO (both rigs set at the same RF Power)
I'd be grateful for any help or recommendations.
Cheers
Dale
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Hi Dale,

Strange how things seem to come together??
I was reviewing a video on this last night from Fred In the shed. He had a similar issue with the standard mic and replaced it with a desk model, although he did make a small difference by using the tone switch on the rear of the standard mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s00Uy4iZPc

Hope it's of some use.

Graeme
Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

PostSubject: Re: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 9:12 pm

Cheers Graeme, I'll take a look.
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 6:47 am

I played around with the settings in the menu until i found the right one for my voice and with the mic setting on mid i found my audio pretty good but i was told about drilling a few small holes in the front of the mic to allow the voice to be less muffled..I took the mic completely apart to reduce risk of damage.

Works much better so ive been told but i also have a couple kpo nm532 mics here and with a converter lead i can use them but with the radio on low mic setting.Tbh the kpo is harsher but good for dx but the stock mic in all honesty is what i prefer for both dx and local chit chat.

Im naturally loud and can be as loud as i like in my outside workshop so no need to whisper..hi hi
Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

PostSubject: Re: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks for the reply Cozzmic.
I get the idea of drilling a hole in the front. Sounds like a good idea and a cheap mod, I'll give it ago at the weekend.
Cheers
Dale
26-CT-3550
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 3:30 pm

try a Adonis AM-308 desk mic on your radio. i have never had any issus with them. on which ever radio i have in the past including the FT-450.
Hope that helps.
Mark 26CT695.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 4:30 pm

You do not need a power mic on amateur radio gear not ever.

FM probably sounds quiet because it's on narrow FM which enforces a 2.5kHz deviation and most CB rigs have it wound up more than that. Set it to wide FM if possible and that'll make it well loud.

As for SSB, turn on the processor but you don't want it to be showing more than 10dB of compression on voice peaks. There is a MIC-EQ menu setting where you can alter the EQ profile. If you want to sound like the booming unintelligible rednecks on the superbowl channe; like it appears those you're talking to want you to then go into the MIC-EQ, set it to bass boost, wind the PROC and MIC GAIN up to max.

Beware though that this kind of audio the plebs are telling you you should have will mean that if you're a weak station to a DX station they're not likely to be able to understand a word you're saying and will just move on to the next.

Remember on amateur transceivers they have an ALC that actually functions so all that chucking a power mic on will do is guarantee that that ALC circuit does its job to limit the level of drive from the mic.

Paddy and glenn dog like this post

Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

PostSubject: Re: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 7:12 pm

Thanks Starship, will take a look at the Adonis.
Northern Crusader, thanks for that, all taken in and understood. When I'm in a QSO with a fellow ham or on the local net, I don't get any of the comments I mentioned apart from maybe I'm a bit quiet, but that could be just me not having the mic close enough.
But with my freebander friends it's just as you say and as I've described. I'll have another look at the settings and experiment a little. But I'm certainly not interested in sounding like a boom box, I leave that to those on the muppet channel.
I pride myself on operating QRP, therein lies the challenge for me (and the rush when I make contact) and the fun. Let's face it anyone can put on 250 watts and get around the world, for me that would be no fun at all. I've recently QSO'd with Italy and Poland on 8 watts into a Dipole in the loft, and I was very pleased with my effort.
I love my new transceiver, I'm still learning what it can do, I certainly don't want to be pushing its circuitry and risk damaging it. Thanks for the sound advice.

Cheers
Stay safe
73's
Dale
26-CT-3550
Back to top Go down
Deathproof
Deathproof

Call Sign : 26-CT-3640
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Sheringham
Equipment Used : ranger 2995dx

PostSubject: Re: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2020 6:08 pm

The original microphone is fine just set the position to 2 on the back of the Mic.

Adjust the Mic settings in the menu

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 12:14 pm

Deathproof wrote:
The original microphone is fine just set the position to 2 on the back of the Mic.

I'd forgotten about that setting on Yaesu HF rig microphones. Definitely try this as it alters the response frequency of the mic. The two settings are basically one for Japanese voices, two for European/USA.
Back to top Go down
The Doctor
Contributor
Contributor
The Doctor

Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Hertfordshire
Equipment Used : Uniden

PostSubject: Re: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 11:51 pm

I use setting 2 on the back. This is for deeper voices and mine is deep and growly so 2 works fine.
It is a Japanese rig. There is a joke that 1 is for East Asian voices and 2 is for western ..... hahaha.
Seems to be true in most cases I know where we use a Yaesu.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2020 7:03 am

I have mine on setting 2 and not had any problems only ever good reports on audio quality.
My EQ profile is on mid i think it is can't remember but you can do a lot in the settings.
Have a look in the manual.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FT-450D MIC Recommendations please    FT-450D MIC Recommendations please  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FT-450D MIC Recommendations please
Page 1 of 1