Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
sign yaesu list call 9900 meter ALINCO Mckinley power supply software lincoln anytone Sirio display antenna frequency callsign ss9900 president 2022 Baofeng 6900 Mobile chart 2023
QRZ Database

Midland 42DS TX scale

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Discovery
Discovery

Call Sign : 1-CT-030
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Siracusa
Equipment Used : Several radios, HF, CB, VHF & UHF including PMR.

Midland 42DS TX scale Empty
PostSubject: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi all,

I bought a Midland 42DS, to try and rekindle a bit of CB. It’s a handy little device, and comes in a good package offered with two battery packs and an external car adapter. After purchasing it I went off to the local electronics store and bought 14AA rechargeable NiMH batteries with 2100MAH each. I charged all the batteries and fired the thing up. However I cannot understand one thing. I connect the 8 pack battery and power on the TX scale indicates around 1,5W of power. Using the exact same battery pack I disconnect the rubber duckie and connect a mag mount, hit the PTT again and the power scale goes up to 2,5W. I then switch to the 6 pack, and with a rubber duckie I squeeze out 0,75W, then move onto the mag mount antenna and there is a TX power of 1,5W. Finally I move on to the car power adapter, and regardless of the antenna I use, it throws out full power according to the TX scale which indicates 4W. In all cases i connect the antennas via the BNC connector on top of the radio. Even though the car adapter has a PL-259 socket it seems that you can work with either antenna attachment point. Is there a way to somehow transmit at 4W using the 8 pack? Or am I on some sort of wrong setting? It’s weird having such a big radio with less than half the power of a Baofeng. Thank you,

73’s
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2020 7:14 pm

Hi Antonio,

Your power output on that radio, (and typical of others), will depend on the power available, i.e. the batteries, and the efficiency of the antenna, (also of course obviously whether the power setting on the radio is set to high or low).

You say that you're using NiMH, which have a voltage of 1.2 volt per cell. As far as I'm aware the 6 pack battery was for alkaline battery use, (6 x 1.5 volt = 9 volt), and the 8 pack battery for rechargeables, (8 x 1.2 volt = 9.6 volt).
If you're using the same NiMH in the 6 pack you'll only have 6 x 1.2 volt = 7.2 volt. So I'm not surprised you're seeing a power output difference.

The antenna will appear confusing as the inefficiency of the rubber duck antenna will seem less so when you run from the cars battery as more power is available. 

I'll have a look out for a schematic and see if you can run from a portable 12 volt battery pack but it'll be a lot more cumbersome.

Anyway, hope that helps.

All the best,
Victor

Templar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Discovery
Discovery

PostSubject: Re: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2020 1:16 pm

Hi Victor,

Thank you so much for your reply. In the meantime I ran an experiment using a car jump start pack with a cigarette lighter and it’s exactly as you said. So power-wise I guess the question is settled. With regards to the antenna, then it’s like the radio regulates its power to adjust to the antenna?

Regards,
Antonio

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2020 7:56 pm

Hi Antonio,

Glad you figured it with the help and your own experiment. It's all good to be learning Smile

There is no power output switching depending on antenna connection according to the schematic.
This radio has a simple single transistor PA, (Power Amplifier), stage so output will depend on the power, (voltage and current), available to it and the efficiency of the load or antenna. The supplied 'rubber duck' antenna is quite inefficient so more power, (again battery current and voltage), is required to drive it. Hence why you saw the differences between antennas.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Discovery
Discovery

PostSubject: Re: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2020 4:00 pm

Thank you so much Victor, your help was more than useful.

Antonio

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3550 Ham:- M7DEW
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Huddersfield West Yorkshire. UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-450D. CRT SS 6900n. CRT Micron

PostSubject: Re: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Hi Antonio 
I'm interested to know how you are getting on with the Midland radio? Reason is that I have just picked one up from a friend. My idea is to use it stand alone whilst out riding my push bike, (I'm trying to get more exercise) and ride to higher ground and try it out. 

Victor, I'd be interested to know more about the power pack for this radio you mention if you have the information available? Also any antenna recommendations please? The one I've seen is about twice as long as the supplied rubber duck but they're asking £23 for it at Knights and was wondering if it is worth it?
Cheers guys
Dale 
CT3550
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2020 6:09 pm

Hi Dale,

I mentioned the supplied battery pack cases for x6 or x8 battery operation, (I also believe you can run the x8 pack with 1.5v alkaline batteries to give you 12 volt), which came with the radio.

Midland Europe link: Midland 42DS specs

If you also have the supplied 'car kit' you can run it from almost any 12 volt source. The car kit will also give you a standard SO239 connection so you can plug into any antenna you desire. If you don't have the car kit then a BNC to SO239 adapter will suit but you'll have to figure out how to hook up another power source.

The supplied rubber duck antenna isn't all that great, (how many actually are?), and you'd be lucky to get much range, maybe a mile or so open air and as little as a 1/4 mile in built up areas. Other antennas are available as you mention or you could even construct your own antenna? Wink

I've never run a CB radio from a bicycle, (there does appear to be some people who have done so on Youtube so might be worth a search), but I have run from a motorcycle back in the day. Let's just say it was fun but a bit disappointing running mobile on the bike....But, I did get some success lugging along a spare motorcycle battery to the top of a hill with a 1/4 wave mobile antenna strapped to some old metal tape measure for a 'deployed' groundplane! Very Happy

We didn't have PMR446 back in the day but I believe some people have had quite good luck running modern walkies for PMR DX.

Anyway, keep us updated with your bicycle radio quest, it's all interesting stuff!

All the best,
Victor

Templar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

PostSubject: Re: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi Victor 
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm studying the YouTube videos. So I'm thinking of something like a 3ft Firestik bolted to the rear carrier (metal) and hopefully using that and the bike frame as the ground plane. I've got the cig lighter/so239 adapter so just need a suitable battery, I'm thinking one of those li-on types but not sure which to get for say 3 hours performance? Any ideas? Plenty of high ground around here so should be fun if I can get it to work. 
Cheers 
73's 
Dale 
Cheers

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2020 9:17 pm

Hiya Dale,

Bicycle frames as ground...and why not? If a biscuit tin does the job a frame certainly will Smile
I can see the Firestik on the rear carrier in my mind's eye, makes me flipping smile!

Got to admit, I'm not up to all that on the battery front nowadays. Don't like the Lithium technology, special charging, cell balancing, blah, blah, too flipping complicated for my liking. Give me a good old lead acid anyday, charge it with anything you have Wink

Be worth asking about batteries on the forum as I'm pretty sure a lot have played around with Lithium tech. 

Anyway mate, keep us updated on the Charlie Tangos, sounds like there some good fun to have!

All the best,
Victor

Templar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

PostSubject: Re: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Yes will do mate cheers 
73's 
Dale
Back to top Go down
Firetrap
CT Directors
CT Directors
Firetrap

Call Sign : 26CT100
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Emperor Shogun, Delta 318 Export, TYT380, Albrecht 2990AFS, SS3900

PostSubject: Re: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2020 10:52 pm

The antenna replacement for the standard rubberduck is called an Albrecht Hyflex. They are 54cm long and work endlessly better than the standard one.

Templar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.charlietango.co.uk
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

PostSubject: Re: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 8:56 am

Cheers Firetrap, I'll have a look. 
73's
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Midland 42DS TX scale   Midland 42DS TX scale Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Midland 42DS TX scale
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Standard Multistandard CB Radio UK/EU/Multinorm-
Jump to: