Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
frequency supply ALINCO callsign 2022 yaesu Mckinley 9900 president lincoln Mobile list anytone sign display call meter Baofeng 2023 6900 ss9900 software power chart antenna Sirio
QRZ Database

Biscuit Tin

Go down 
+2
Arcticbear
Victor
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 5:28 pm

I know they say "always get as high as you can with your aerial". But I certainly don't fancy getting up a ladder in this weather. 

So my question is:- Back in the 80's, I remember we used to have ours attached to a biscuit tin in the front room and we used to pick up a lot of breakers.

Is it still possible to pick up people this way since there are fewer on the rig these days? Or am I just an old man dreaming and hoping technology will help produce some results?
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi Gary,

The old biscuit tin setup worked so well back in the day because you were usually chatting to your mates on their CB in the next street! Wink

CB users are spaced much more further apart nowadays so although it'll still work as a setup and even get a good SWR you won't be getting very far with it.

If you want any luck nowadays you'll need a good antenna setup, whether a whacking big homebase twig or a modest mobile setup and sit atop the local high spot.

Hee! Very Happy I started back in the day with a DV27 atop a biscuit tin, must've got a range of ooh, hundreds of metres?!? Smile

Anyway, worth an ask.

All the best,
Victor

NUBSTER and glenn dog like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 6:16 pm

Victor wrote:
Hi Gary,

The old biscuit tin setup worked so well back in the day because you were usually chatting to your mates on their CB in the next street! Wink

CB users are spaced much more further apart nowadays so although it'll still work as a setup and even get a good SWR you won't be getting very far with it.

If you want any luck nowadays you'll need a good antenna setup, whether a whacking big homebase twig or a modest mobile setup and sit atop the local high spot.

Hee! Very Happy I started back in the day with a DV27 atop a biscuit tin, must've got a range of ooh, hundreds of metres?!? Smile

Anyway, worth an ask.

All the best,
Victor
Ha ha.... so I guess it’s back to just an old man hoping again lol
Back to top Go down
Arcticbear

Call Sign : 26-CT-3804 -.-. ... M3VRS
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Icom IC7300 - RCI Ranger 2950CD - Cobra UK 25 LTD ST - Intek 5050 - RM Italy KL703 amplifier - 7 foot Firestik or a Modulator on a biscuit tin or on a Ford Focus

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 7:18 pm

I'm currently operating from my kitchen using a Roses chocolate tin (same as a biscuit tin) with a 7-foot original Firestik, a Ranger 2950CD and an RM300p amplifier (Don't always use the amp)..  And I can speak to people..

I reckon if you are high up you will do better.

I prefer to go out to the hills around Sheffield mobile at the moment...   I'll get that Firestik up on the roof at some stage though!....

Just give it a go and see how you fare mate...
Back to top Go down

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 9:37 pm

Arcticbear wrote:
I'm currently operating from my kitchen using a Roses chocolate tin (same as a biscuit tin) with a 7-foot original Firestik, a Ranger 2950CD and an RM300p amplifier (Don't always use the amp)..  And I can speak to people..

I reckon if you are high up you will do better.

I prefer to go out to the hills around Sheffield mobile at the moment...   I'll get that Firestik up on the roof at some stage though!....

Just give it a go and see how you fare mate...
Quality, let’s hope it works for me too🙏
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 10:15 pm

It's great seeing your enthusiasm for all this Gary, getting stuck in and asking questions on the forum.

Believe it or not, most of us want to see that enthusiasm grow, (nobody loves a radio nut better than another radio nut Smile), and are doing our best to help you out.

You might be lucky living in Manchester to get someone on FM with an antenna on a biscuit tin and all's good. But, you may well find yourself disappointed and scan that rig for weeks on end without so much as one contact...that can all end that initial enthusiasm for you.

I came back to CB after decades and was left a little disappointed, it wasn't until I started hitting the skip in the summer on SSB that I got truly excited again. So much so that I went on to take my Ham ticket and now have a choice of multiple bands and frequencies. But my passion is still for CB and to see others enjoy it too.

Sure, go for the basic rig, a biscuit tin if you wish and if it works out for you, (even one regular contact can be good), then all is well. If it doesn't, then maybe you'll see where we're all coming from. You might then decide to go the whole hog and we'll all be happy to help you along that journey.

It'd just be a shame to see all that enthusiasm lost. We've seen it before.

But, it's all up to you mate. In the mean time enjoy the forum as you have done as we're happy to have you here.

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 10:34 pm

Victor wrote:
It's great seeing your enthusiasm for all this Gary, getting stuck in and asking questions on the forum.

Believe it or not, most of us want to see that enthusiasm grow, (nobody loves a radio nut better than another radio nut Smile), and are doing our best to help you out.

You might be lucky living in Manchester to get someone on FM with an antenna on a biscuit tin and all's good. But, you may well find yourself disappointed and scan that rig for weeks on end without so much as one contact...that can all end that initial enthusiasm for you.

I came back to CB after decades and was left a little disappointed, it wasn't until I started hitting the skip in the summer on SSB that I got truly excited again. So much so that I went on to take my Ham ticket and now have a choice of multiple bands and frequencies. But my passion is still for CB and to see others enjoy it too.

Sure, go for the basic rig, a biscuit tin if you wish and if it works out for you, (even one regular contact can be good), then all is well. If it doesn't, then maybe you'll see where we're all coming from. You might then decide to go the whole hog and we'll all be happy to help you along that journey.

It'd just be a shame to see all that enthusiasm lost. We've seen it before.

But, it's all up to you mate. In the mean time enjoy the forum as you have done as we're happy to have you here.

All the best,
Victor
Cheers Victor and I have to say I am looking forward too it, but at the same time I am well aware I might not get much on my biscuit tin lol.

However, I bought the CRT Xenon so I can choose to throw it in the car, park up on a hill some where and give it a go. But also to try and run it from home in my man cave (Also goes by the name of a shed or studio 😬). 

I’m not expecting it to be like the 80s, but I’d like to see how much it’s changed and maybe possibly move up to the big boys room and buy an SSB at a later date. 👍👍
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 10:50 pm

Nice one Gary 👍

Keep up that enthusiasm mate, it's the whole reason most of us are here - enthusiastic b*ggers all! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 8:25 am

Listen to Victor he is right.
Don't give up it will pick up in time.
Tip save all packaging as when the bug does really bite you might want to upgrade to a ssb set and sell the fm radio and with the box you will get a better price for it.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tim Tom
Contributor
Contributor
Tim Tom

Call Sign : 26-SW-010 / 26-TM-087
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Somerset
Equipment Used : Kernow beta 4100 mobile for now...

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 9:40 pm

My first ever copy I got was about 15 years ago with a 2 ft cheep little mag mount set up from maplins smashed on top of a celebrations tin and stuck on my balcony 😅 they do work however no luck these days, I did try about a month ago for a laugh but got nothing but that could be down to nobody actually about

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bovril

Call Sign : 26-CT-3694
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ruislip, London.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT2000D

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 12:22 am

The next best option would have been to put that biscuit tin aerial up in the loft, but you would ideally then have to operate your rig in one of your bedrooms.
Back to top Go down

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 12:34 am

Bovril wrote:
The next best option would have been to put that biscuit tin aerial up in the loft, but you would ideally then have to operate your rig in one of your bedrooms.
Cheers Bovrill.

To be honest my shift a work ends later tonight and then I’ll have the next few days off. I’ll have a little play around then. But half of me keeps thinking if I’m going to go to that much effort I might as well buy a dipole to put up. 

Any suggestions on a good dipole aerial these days?
Back to top Go down

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 12:36 am

Tim Tom wrote:
My first ever copy I got was about 15 years ago with a 2 ft cheep little mag mount set up from maplins smashed on top of a celebrations tin and stuck on my balcony 😅 they do work however no luck these days, I did try about a month ago for a laugh but got nothing but that could be down to nobody actually about
Pmsl.... it does seem to be the case in some areas. Are you normally mobile or home based?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Biscuit Tin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biscuit Tin   Biscuit Tin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Biscuit Tin
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: