Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
chart lincoln list yaesu ALINCO call Baofeng Sirio power Mckinley 2023 sign 6900 president antenna Mobile display callsign ss9900 meter 9900 supply software frequency anytone 2022
QRZ Database

Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
NoMad
Contributor
Contributor
NoMad

Call Sign : 26-CT-4253
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
Equipment Used : CRT SS6900N, RTL-SDR Blog V3, Baofeng UV5R-3.

Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Empty
PostSubject: Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost.   Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2022 10:45 am

Good News,

The Electicians have been and investigated that noisy lampost I've spoken of.

Turns out, that someone had installed a ballast bulb [a bulb with its own internal ballast] into a fitting with an already fitted ballast, meaning there were then two ballasts which would both fight against each other, causing mass RFI.

The Electrician said he was 'shocked' by the discovery.

Soon replaced, and checked the connections, switched it on and asked me to test my radio, and ......no more crackles  ! Woo Hoo !

Alan - Mirror Man and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost.   Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2022 12:53 pm

Nice one.
Did it take long to get them to sort it out.

Alan - Mirror Man and NoMad like this post

Back to top Go down
NoMad
Contributor
Contributor
NoMad

PostSubject: Re: Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost.   Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2022 1:24 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Nice one.
Did it take long to get them to sort it out.
 Nope, it only took the electrician a few minutes to see what the problem was. 
All done in about 15 minutes.
 Just shows when someone knows what they are doing, it makes all the difference.

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost.   Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2022 3:50 pm

I meant how long after reporting it sorry.

Back to top Go down
NoMad
Contributor
Contributor
NoMad

PostSubject: Re: Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost.   Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2022 8:45 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
I meant how long after reporting it sorry.
Lol,, sorry, yes about 2 months or so.

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost.   Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2022 7:11 am

Well done Andy. You have proven there is hope for other people if they are experiencing similar issues.

Alan - Mirror Man and NoMad like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost.   Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2022 8:10 am

2 months, if they hadn't sent a less than competent engineer in the first place the whole thing would have been avoided. A catapult sounds like a far faster solution to me, I bet they would have fixed it quick-sharp too. The bulbs with built in ballasts I have seen are the same E40 fitting but you would just know not to fit it into a ballasted feed, it wouldn't drive it properly and would more than likely damage quite an expensive bulb.

NoMad likes this post

Back to top Go down
NoMad
Contributor
Contributor
NoMad

PostSubject: Re: Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost.   Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2022 9:25 am

I had complained about it last year, but the council were not interested as no-one else was affected by it. It was only after I managed to video it flickering and upload the clip to the Council, which was impossible as they do not cater for digital uploads, so I managed to send the clip via an employee's email in the end, then it was 2.5 months of waiting, as well as persist with the complaint several times.
I knew 100 % it was the lampost, for doing the short antenna trick, and the fact when it was switched on, the crackles would be 100% worse [made up percentage, but extreemly annoying].
Glad it's fixed now, radio reception is soooo much cleaner now.  

@ Alan-Mirror man, I had considered opening up the service door and switching it off completely, but that would be naughty.
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost.   Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2022 10:17 am

I did a around the home search for items that caused interference with my radio's, power off at fuse box/radio on a batrery, by far the worst offenders were modern LED lights I am surprised to say. A couple of ferrite rings on the power feed of each lamp in both mix 43 and 31 (I think/ off the top of my head) quieted them down a great deal(a balanced 4 turns on each side of the ring)
They replaced the street lights near me with LED lamps, it appears every third one is also a 5G repeater and I have taken some quite high EMF readings coming out of them too with a meter, high enough I would have thought to warn children not to hang ago around that one at least. They open with the triangle keys, long nosed pliers can get them if you don't have the key, I think I'd of donned a mask and done it.

Unfortunately, we can no longer rely on local authorities to take care of things in a timely fashion, I have never known such incompetence as we see around us today, but we mustn't say anything last we "offend" Intelligent people are literally being censored so "Idiots" don't take offence? If they had sent out a competent tech in the first place there would have been no need for any of it, that truly is a "rookie" mistake, it is incredibly obvious when a lamp has a built in ballast and you know you are going to damage it if you get it wrong.

I couldn't believe how much interference modern living caused to my radio, only strong local stations could be heard over S9 of interference. Back in the day it was you who was concerned about TVI or the whole host of products that used 27Mghz such as cordless phones, baby monitors, remote controls, now it's the endless ammount of wireless/Bluetooth devices and cheaply made electronic gadgets that affect the radio. The one good thing it did allow was they relaxed to laws so we can have SSB multimode without any issue so I feel it's a fair trade off if you take the time to due your so diligence in hunting down the offending (interfering) articles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost.   Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interfearance from Arcing Lamppost.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: