Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
RFI help please Icon_minitimeToday at 8:29 am by chazwozza

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
RFI help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
RFI help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
RFI help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
RFI help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
RFI help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:42 pm by Razz229

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
RFI help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:59 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
RFI help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
RFI help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
ALINCO yaesu chart antenna 6900 callsign call display sign Mobile list lincoln ss9900 president 2022 power Baofeng software anytone Sirio 2023 meter Mckinley supply 9900 frequency
QRZ Database

RFI help please

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 108-CT-370 & MM3TAM
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Clydebank, Scotland
Equipment Used : Various on 2/4/10/11m and 70cm

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2024 8:51 pm

Can anyone help with ideas on how to deal with RFI when using 2m?
Whenever I key up and no matter the power level, it sets the house smoke alarm off.
I don't have the ideal setup with my antenna being in my loft but I really have no option to move it outside.
Doesn't happen on 4,10 or 11metres.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 5:21 am

Hiya Tam,

What antenna are you running? Is it the HamKing you mention in your profile? If so how have you got that hooked up in your attic?

I know, questioning a question but anyone would need to know a bit more info to help you out.

If it helps any I know that some people have had problems with typical J-Pole type antennas, straight dipoles are easier to build (and tune!) and my own efforts with a VHF EDZ extended double zepp saw me having to add a WD2U Maxwell choke (several clip on ferrites at the antenna end of the coax) to alleviate issues. Yep, I also set off the smoke detectors....and that was with a typical Baofeng walkie!

Nowadays I run a typical commercial white stick collinear along with some decent coax and not only do I not cause any interference but suddenly found out that there are a lot more repeaters in my range than I thought possible! (Different rigs now too, the Baofeng being long gone.)

You could try moving the location of your antenna with respect to the smoke detector but I'll tell you the tale that I had to move my old EDZ closer to it rather than further away to stop setting it off. Wink

It's not all straight forward this radio stuff is it? Especially if you have to make do with what you've got. (Like making your own antenna setups which although fun can also be frustrating.)

That's where the oft suggested ideas of simply purchasing a solution comes to the fore. Even a small white-stick would only cost you about £40 or so (plus coax) and can be easily hung in the loft space. I have a copy of the much bigger (and more gain) type installed in my loft space which just fits and bags me 10 or more repeaters but at least six or seven of them in total comfort. I can happily chat to an old friend whilst he's mobile across several counties now and don't believe installing it outside would give much improvement.

Sometimes a small splash of cash can make things much simpler. RFI help please 1f44d 

I hope you get sorted out there Tam.

All the best,
Victor

TamGlasgow likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 7:00 am

I hit the bedside touch lamps smoke detectors where ok.
Had a longer coax than i needed so wound it like a dirty balun and it worked for me.

Back to top Go down
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 10:47 am

Victor wrote:
Hiya Tam,

What antenna are you running? Is it the HamKing you mention in your profile? If so how have you got that hooked up in your attic?

I know, questioning a question but anyone would need to know a bit more info to help you out.

If it helps any I know that some people have had problems with typical J-Pole type antennas, straight dipoles are easier to build (and tune!) and my own efforts with a VHF EDZ extended double zepp saw me having to add a WD2U Maxwell choke (several clip on ferrites at the antenna end of the coax) to alleviate issues. Yep, I also set off the smoke detectors....and that was with a typical Baofeng walkie!

Nowadays I run a typical commercial white stick collinear along with some decent coax and not only do I not cause any interference but suddenly found out that there are a lot more repeaters in my range than I thought possible! (Different rigs now too, the Baofeng being long gone.)

You could try moving the location of your antenna with respect to the smoke detector but I'll tell you the tale that I had to move my old EDZ closer to it rather than further away to stop setting it off. Wink

It's not all straight forward this radio stuff is it? Especially if you have to make do with what you've got. (Like making your own antenna setups which although fun can also be frustrating.)

That's where the oft suggested ideas of simply purchasing a solution comes to the fore. Even a small white-stick would only cost you about £40 or so (plus coax) and can be easily hung in the loft space. I have a copy of the much bigger (and more gain) type installed in my loft space which just fits and bags me 10 or more repeaters but at least six or seven of them in total comfort. I can happily chat to an old friend whilst he's mobile across several counties now and don't believe installing it outside would give much improvement.

Sometimes a small splash of cash can make things much simpler. RFI help please 1f44d 

I hope you get sorted out there Tam.

All the best,
Victor
Hi Victor,
Yes it is the Hamking on a mag base on sheets of metal, happy to buy this white stick you talk of if it improves my range which, is not too bad with the hamking. Can you advise the sticks you mean and I will look them up? As you know I am stuck with my loft as an outdoor antenna is a no no. My loft has the Hamking, a P5000 for 11m, a wire dipole for 10m and an Ampro whip thing for 4m RFI help please 1f602 . I am toying with the idea of getting a decent rig that covers most bands and thought of using it with 1 antenna and an ATU but I have no idea if that is even an option. Anyway, I suppose I can disconnect the alarm when using 2m meantime. RFI help please 1f601

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 10:48 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
I hit the bedside touch lamps smoke detectors where ok.
Had a longer coax than i needed so wound it like a dirty balun and it worked for me.
That is worth a try-Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Telstar
Telstar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3520. Foundation & Intermediate Ham
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Telford, Shropshire
Equipment Used : Uniden 200. SS6900N, Yaesu FT8900, Alinco DX77E, Alinco DX70

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 12:46 pm

TamGlasgow wrote:
Whenever I key up and no matter the power level, it sets the house smoke alarm off.
I don't have the ideal setup with my antenna being in my loft but I really have no option to move it outside.
Hope you don't set off the neighbours smoke alarms on 2m or else you will get a lot of vocal QRM Laughing

Have you thought about adding Ferrites to the coax, psu power leads and if the smoke alarm is mains powered, then slip one around the mains supply cable as close to the alarm as you can get.

Victor and TamGlasgow like this post

Back to top Go down
Telstar
Telstar

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 12:59 pm

Come to think of it, on my 11m CB rigs, Yaesu 8900 and Yaesu 8000 set off my bedside light (a touch activated one) whenever I key up but never cause any neighbour issues luckily.

It's a pain if I'm in the bedroom/shack as when you key up the light comes on the lowest setting, key up again and the brightness goes to medium level, key up again and the light is on full power (40 watt bulb), key up again and you are in darkness ! Rolling Eyes Mad

Often thought about changing it but it was a present from my daughter many many moons ago so its one of those things that you can never get rid of.

Back to top Go down
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 1:34 pm

Telstar wrote:
TamGlasgow wrote:
Hope you don't set off the neighbours smoke alarms on 2m or else you will get a lot of vocal QRM Laughing

Have you thought about adding Ferrites to the coax, psu power leads and if the smoke alarm is mains powered, then slip one around the mains supply cable as close to the alarm as you can get.
I dont think I set off anyone else's  Very Happy I haven't heard anything but then again my hearing is shot Laughing. Will look at the ferrite and put them on everything I can think of. I just bought a more modern alarm so going to swap them out to see if it helps. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 3:04 pm

My apologies Tam, I mean items such as the 'diamond' X30, X50 etc. but remembering there other manufacturers of these fine antennas too. (White fibreglass collinear VHF/UHF antennas.)

(I won't get into the debates regards so called 'copies' etc. but let's just say I didn't pay through the nose for mine. Wink )

Loads have already made suggestions that you can try out but I personally wish I'd gone down the route of buying a 'white stick' much earlier....it's fantastic to hear so many repeaters. RFI help please 1f44d

Back to top Go down
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 4:42 pm

Victor wrote:
My apologies Tam, I mean items such as the 'diamond' X30, X50 etc. but remembering there other manufacturers of these fine antennas too. (White fibreglass collinear VHF/UHF antennas.)

(I won't get into the debates regards so called 'copies' etc. but let's just say I didn't pay through the nose for mine. Wink )

Loads have already made suggestions that you can try out but I personally wish I'd gone down the route of buying a 'white stick' much earlier....it's fantastic to hear so many repeaters. RFI help please 1f44d
Thanks Victor, I will look at the other manufacturers too as I'm no slave to "Brands". Meanwhile, I have replaced the fire alarm and the new one isn't going off so we shall see. If I can put one of these "diamonds" in the loft then brilliant mate. Cheers

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 4:47 pm

Victor wrote:

I have found the "Diamond" you speak of, can I get a pole, screw it to a joist and then install the antenna onto the pole? I'm away to measure what height I have in the loft. Very Happy

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 5:39 pm

Hi again Tam,

Glad you got the fire alarm sorted and hope that's your problems resolved for good. RFI help please 1f44d 

I've just been playing with my new antenna (SQBM500P MKII if you want to look it up and at 2.5m it just about fit my loft space upright) whilst chatting to my old Ham friend running mobile. As he crossed county lines we jumped repeaters to stay in contact so with me in Bedfordshire we chatted whilst he was in Cambrigeshire, Northamptonshire, then as we lost the Northamptonshire repeater at his end we switched to Hertfordshire before he finally got home in Buckinghamshire. Not too bad going with us splashing RF across the five counties on six repeaters! Smile

(Could've been more if we were able to run a line from GB3PI but he was off in the opposite direction.)

As I said, I wished I'd gone down that antenna route sooner!

(I was running a little Leixen VV-898 at 10W throughout which is a surprisingly good rig.)

The antenna needed a volunteer to put up as I'm disabled but considering it's just taped to a rafter standing upright and proud to the attic peak it seems to be doing the job. Oh, went all 'snobby' with the coax too and it's running RG213 instead of my favourite fallback RG11. Wink

Anyway Tam, something to think about if you want to extend your VHF/UHF coverage at all.

Got to shoot off now so catch you soon.

Victor
Back to top Go down
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2024 7:08 pm

Very Happy Thanks again Victor, will give that a look and see if it will fit. I will keep you guys updated and really appreciate all the help. Cheers Smile

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2024 5:18 am

Victor
I have the same antenna and coax lol.
With mine the little bolt turned to dust so it has a wobble but still works spot on.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2024 5:46 am

Hi Alan mate,

Worth knowing about that bolt issue (could probably replace with a stainless steel one) for anyone mounting such an antenna outdoors. Luckily I'm hoping mine will outlive me by being sheltered in the loft space. I'm sure many will have been caught out with the assembly procedure and not connected up that top section inner connection or hooked up some terrible coax with then less than stellar performance. (For anyone reading the assembly is the same as the X200.)

Does seem to be working out well and thoroughly impressed with the performance so far but was surprised the little Leixen performed the best out of all the 2m gear I've got! I'm just happy that I can chat to my old friend a lot easier as he travels around with his work. Smile

Playing with antennas and building them was a lot of fun what with j-poles, dipoles, EDZ's, etc. but damn I wish I'd purchased such an item early on and enjoyed the performance.

Cheers Alan, great input on the forum as ever. RFI help please 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2024 6:26 am

Good point there Victor about the middle connection.
I remember when i got mine about 5 years ago looking at it and thinking how.
Just slides out simples lol.
I must admit it does work well use it more than the yagi don't have to mess with the rotator and it is almost the same signal.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2024 7:41 am

I found the same Alan mate! RFI help please 1f44d

I've built a 6 element 70cm Yagi as well as a 4 element 2m in the past but this vertical collinear is performing as well as (and sometimes better) than they ever did. Plus I don't have to 'armstrong' the antenna not having (or now needing) a rotator.

I've been scanning through the frequencies seeing what repeaters I can access and the list is getting longer so got to program them all up next. Looking forward to trying it all out with SSB especially with my old mate running mobile so he'll be stuck with vertical polarisation anyway. Bit of a tropo lift on this weekend too so might have a bit of fun playing with VHF/UHF.

Sorry to be blathering on your posting there Tam. Wink

Back to top Go down
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2024 10:44 am

Victor wrote:

Sorry to be blathering on your posting there Tam. Wink
Not at all mate! I am sooking in all this info Very Happy.
I have bought the antenna you mentioned as I was up the loft this morning with my tape... 3m 20cm to the top.
Looking at pictures and I am probably missing the obvious but what is the small metal pole thing for?(At least I think it is metal) Shocked.
Another thing, is there much activity on SSB 2m? I only use a wee Retevis RT95 but if this antenna improves my lot, I would look to get some sort of multi-mode if it was worth it.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2024 10:48 am

TamGlasgow wrote:

Looking at pictures and I am probably missing the obvious but what is the small metal pole thing for?(At least I think it is metal) Shocked.

It's ok, I found the X200 instructions which explains it. Very Happy

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Telstar
Telstar

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2024 1:00 pm

I've had my Diamond X200 since March 2020, bought it along with my Yaesu FT8900 the day after I passed my Foundation exam. At first, installation was on a 3 meter pole mounted on a ex basketball net ground frame and then in 2021 a couple of friends mounted it on my house back wall on T & K brackets with RG213 coax. It works very well. I bought a local for sale Comet GP15 a while back which is a similar antenna but taller and is 70cms, 2m and 6m but as yet its still stacked up in my shed, must try assembling it and trying it out sometime and comparing it to the Diamond X200 on 70cms and 2m. the addition of 6m will be handy as my Yaesu FT8900 is a quad bander (70cms, 2m, 10m and 6m). I use a Hamking CR8900 quad band antenna for mobile use with the Yaesu.

The Diamond X200 is a genuine (not a knockoff) antenna and it works fantastic and the SWR is very low across both bands.

Back to top Go down
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2024 1:12 pm

Telstar wrote:
I've had my Diamond X200 since March 2020, bought it along with my Yaesu FT8900 the day after I passed my Foundation exam. At first, installation was on a 3 meter pole mounted on a ex basketball net ground frame and then in 2021 a couple of friends mounted it on my house back wall on T & K brackets with RG213 coax. It works very well. I bought a local for sale Comet GP15 a while back which is a similar antenna but taller and is 70cms, 2m and 6m but as yet its still stacked up in my shed, must try assembling it and trying it out sometime and comparing it to the Diamond X200 on 70cms and 2m. the addition of 6m will be handy as my Yaesu FT8900 is a quad bander (70cms, 2m, 10m and 6m). I use a Hamking CR8900 quad band antenna for mobile use with the Yaesu.

The Diamond X200 is a genuine (not a knockoff) antenna and it works fantastic and the SWR is very low across both bands.
Brilliant, my aim is to get my antenna situation sorted for this 2/70, then I will sort out my 4m. My loft is a dogs dinner with different mags and dipole, looking to tidy it all up. 6m is on the cards too. I like the challenge though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2024 3:57 pm

Hi Tam,

Sorry to only just have got back to you but have been indisposed for a little while.

Spent the morning playing VHF/UHF with my old friend and had great fun finally being able to transmit from home QTH to home QTH with him rather than working around through the repeaters. (Dirty big hill, or rather as big as they get in these flatlands which usually blocks our path.) We worked both simplex FM as well as a bit of SSB fun so was able to shove it all in the logs too. Wink

(Not exactly DX but working inter-county when we were previously unable to was great.)

VHF SSB activity can be more fruitful than 70cm ever is but depends on what's going on. There's the SOTA guys (summit on the air) but a lot work FM as there's more chance of gaining a contact nowadays and also worth listening out for the first Tuesdays of the month for the 2m SSB RSGB contests. (There's a lot more gong on too so worth searching online.)

Also worth keeping an eye out for some Tropospheric propagation (a bit going on this weekend) as that can herald some surprising long distance contacts as well as opportunities at operating further flung repeaters :-

https://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_eur.html

Some constantly shout out on a repeater for a while then declare it dead forgetting that just because they're on air at that time it doesn't mean anyone else is. We have a lot of spectrum available to us nowadays which gives a lot of places for people to be operating so harder to coincidentally bump into.

Anyway, better leave it at that as someone's bound to pop in with the 'DX greatness' of bigger, better VHF/UHF equipment than we'll ever have. Wink

It can all be rather a lot of fun Tam and I enjoy operating any type of radio wherever it is. RFI help please 1f44d

I look forward to doing a lot more 2m work especially now that my local repeater has moved site away from my backdoor as well as having the new antenna. (Could open it with a dummy load at 1/4W before!!)

You have fun there Tam and I wish you all the best with everything.

Victor

Back to top Go down
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2024 8:18 pm

A wee update!

Victor, I got the colinear up in the loft with RG213(By god that is stiff) RFI help please 1f601 
What a difference! I had never heard some of the stations before so thank you for pointing me in that direction and i'm only using the Retevis RT95. Bonus....My smoke alarm doesn't go off now.
Will make more use of 2m also as there are so many idiots around here keying the mic and music playing on uk40.

Once I get bored again, I will move on and get my 4m setup sorted Very Happy

GaryWilson and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2024 5:13 am

That's wonderful news to hear there Tam and really glad that you're getting to enjoy some 2m action. RFI help please 1f44d 
(I've been very impressed with the 70cm performance too.)

I've set my little Leixen to scan several 'local' repeaters now as well as the calling channels on 2m/70cm and great to catch newly licensed operators as well as old hands. (The scan speed is relatively fast if you're not trying to scan the whole of the bands! Wink )

Absolutely chuffed for you and wish you well with all of your radio pursuits.

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RFI help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: RFI help please   RFI help please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RFI help please
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: The Amateur Lounge :: Amateur Discussions-
Jump to: