Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:42 pm by Razz229

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:59 pm by Izzi

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:20 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
ALINCO lincoln frequency display ss9900 sign 2023 software 9900 2022 meter antenna chart 6900 yaesu Baofeng president anytone Mckinley supply power callsign list call Sirio Mobile
QRZ Database

Shack wall and social media bling

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

Shack wall and social media bling Empty
PostSubject: Shack wall and social media bling   Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2024 11:13 am

Many are probably aware of the ARRL's famous and "prestigious" DX Century Club award, and that they have other awards that can be worked towards e.g. WAS (Worked All States). Working the required stations is only one the first stage of getting the awards, QSL confirmation of the QSOs is also required, and then you must pay for them. I can imagine that last aspect especially turns many away from applying for awards as the total cost for one, not including any sending / paying for QSL cards, can amount to the region of £50.

I wonder how many are aware that the RSGB also offer a variety of awards that can be worked towards. Again, all are required to be paid for when certificates are ordered, but, the RSGB fees are a fraction of those charged by the ARRL at about a tenth of the cost.

My wonderings of who is aware of the RSGB awards stems from the RSGB's 2023 Committee Reports which details how many awards applications were made over the past few years. Here's the first few stats, the rest can be found in their report.

Summary Stats2020202120222023
IARU Region 1 Award34351613
IARU Region 1 28MHz Award3202

Compared to the 100,000+ amateur radio licences Ofcom state that are currently on issue in the UK, these award application numbers look pretty low to me.

There are obviously many reasons why people do not apply for awards, not just including that some will consider them completely pointless and will have no interest in ever applying for, and amateur radio covers a such vast array of subject matter that the awards currently available only scratch the surface of and do not cover the interests of some people. A personal example is that of their 'Intermediate 100 Award' which for part of the application requires 25 contacts on the 80m band, for me at this present time that is just not of interest.

If anyone was not aware of the RSGB awards prior to reading this and would like to know more, then follow one of the two links below.

HF Awards:
rsgb.org/main/operating/amateur-radio-awards/rsgb-hf-awards/

V/UHF Awards:
rsgb.org/main/operating/amateur-radio-awards/vhfuhf-awards/

I have been aware of the RSGB awards for quite a while and been working towards the Class 2 levels of the two above, specifically the 28MHz one which I was recently awarded.

Shack wall and social media bling Region10

This 28MHz award is really one I wanted highlight to CT members as over previous years there has been very few applications as you can see, but I know many people here love the band being it having a very close 11m relationship. With where we are in the sun spot cycle and the fact that application for the award can be made using any modes of operation, even if you are only starting out on HF then the Class 3 level should really achievable to anyone who seriously works towards. The Class 1, due to a couple of awkward entities, may take some years though.

I didn't use ClubLog data for my applications, but I see from the links above that the RSGB allow QSL confirmation using it for at least the two IARU Region 1 Awards listed above which should make them more available to those who do not use LotW.

Hopefully I have peaked a few people's interest and that the next RSGB's stats will show an increase in at least one or two award applications.

If you are working towards any, do let us all know of your progress. If you have achieved awards previously and want to wave them, feel free Smile

*I have no direct affiliation with the RSGB and am not trying to sell anything. Only trying to support the awards program of the society who makes it possible for us in the UK to do what we do. The awards are also available to be applied for by those outside the UK btw.

kilomike and VanRougeT4 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Shack wall and social media bling   Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2024 5:39 am

Thanks for the info and well done on the ten metre award.

Not really worried about wallpaper as such but have a couple of eQSL awards on the wall. Very Happy

Mostly I just use the awards facilities on LOTW, eQSL and QRZ to keep a running total of entities worked.

SangueG and VanRougeT4 like this post

Back to top Go down
kilomike
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member

Call Sign : 26CT360
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Hertfordshire
Equipment Used : Icom/ Kenwood/ Yaesu

PostSubject: Re: Shack wall and social media bling   Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2024 10:22 am

Well done Neal, Some of my QSO have been done inside the house with the delta loop in the loft
find this more fun and exciting than working on a Moxon and endfed in the garden. Nice work

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shack wall and social media bling   Shack wall and social media bling Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shack wall and social media bling
Page 1 of 1